Professor Stephen Hawking's has passed away.

"
Krehlmar wrote:

That's okay, I think most humans don't

But you see, people who gaze up to the stars, who wonder about things, who spend time contemplating weird shit, have little company in most of society.

That's why they also feel such love when someone can represent them.

Idiot's have trump, hitler, all kinds of demagogues who preach platitudes.

Others, they have a very few people across history

Don't worry i'm not very social either. I don't like donald trump and i don't like hitler. And most people that are crying bout hawking's never read those theories or those complex books full of mathematic formulas that you can't understand at all. Considering how fucked up the world is right now i don't think that feeling sad for whoever that the tv tells me to feel bad about is gonna do anything for me. Black holes and paralell universes never had any impact on my life, emotionally or physically. I agree that some may see him as an example because the way he fought against his illness. For me, he never affected me emotinally and i never read his work.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Question did he ever really do anything ? He was a theoretical physicist, don't they just come up with logical conclusions to mysteries, nothing tangible or factual ? Did he create a new type of math ? did he solve the "arrow of time " problem or maybe figure out black matter. All I have ever hear from him was just theories and warnings, its clear he was very bright but I'm asking out of curiosity not to be a dick.
"
Question did he ever really do anything ? He was a theoretical physicist, don't they just come up with logical conclusions to mysteries, nothing tangible or factual ? Did he create a new type of math ? did he solve the "arrow of time " problem or maybe figure out black matter. All I have ever hear from him was just theories and warnings, its clear he was very bright but I'm asking out of curiosity not to be a dick.

It's hard to tell if this is a troll question or just extremely ignorant, but the answer is yes. Also, theoretical physics is a real field that deals with factual information and understanding about the real world.

On a side note, APS has made his papers published through them open access.
Last edited by DurianMcgregor on Mar 18, 2018, 12:33:38 AM
"
"

It's hard to tell if this is a troll question or just extremely ignorant, but the answer is yes. Also, theoretical physics is a real field that deals with factual information and understanding about the real world.

On a side note, APS has made his papers published through them open access.

Actually Durian, its neither, also I would like to add that I am literally baffled to how you came to those conclusions as I worded that as delicately and nonthreatening as possible. Yet, you still some how manage to find some kind of attack or epithet in my question. Do you always berate those who seek to learn by asking questions ? I don't have all the answers and I certainly don't have the time to study some Professor's tenured career. I'm merely asking what exactly he did besides theorize, since that word makes up 50% of his profession. Its really a shame how certain people on the internet elect the path of contention. Its a dark day when one is insulted by simply just asking a question, even when its painfully clear that question had no intent of disrespect or conveying a churlish tone. Shame, a real shame.
Last edited by decrepit_birth on Mar 18, 2018, 1:42:38 PM
As a physicist I can tell you straight that physics is hard. Theoretical physics is hard, and experimental physics is hard, it's so hard that's it's super rare that someone does both. Hawking came up with theories, and people like me tested them. One of his most important theories that he came up with was Hawking radiation which explains the dissipation of black holes, and helps explain the evolution of galaxies.

Also just as important, he was an excellent teacher. He knew so much and passed it on to many people who will carry on his work.
Last edited by j33bus on Mar 18, 2018, 11:39:16 PM
Whats so great about him? Neversink made my life better with loot filters. Chris brought me this game. Just curious what made him better for me.
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Whats so great about him? Neversink made my life better with loot filters. Chris brought me this game. Just curious what made him better for me.

The man made contributions to a field without wich (the field, not his exact contributions necessarily) you wouldn't have any of the toys you take for granted, and he did so while suffering from an extremey debilitating disease and surviving well beyond the average life expectancy of people with the diagnosis, mind you.

"Greatness" is not a measurement of how immediately useful a person is to you directly. This is a thread of respect towards the loss of one of the great minds of our time and it takes a special kind of witless cretin to barge into it like you did and only consider what benefit he might have brought to yourself. You make a great argument for misantrophy.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

You make a great argument for misantrophy.

Why exactly ? because he doesnt share the same values you do ? Im not trying to pick a fight with you brother but I just find it kind of weird to say that when he did really nothing to warrant a remark like yours. Everything else you said I agree with though.
"
j33bus wrote:
Also just as important, he was an excellent teacher. He knew so much and passed it on to many people who will carry on his work.

Arguably the most important role for a scientist (after, you know, the science itself).

Conveying its relevance to a mostly uncaring public is never an easy task.

That someone as brilliant and renowned as Hawking devoted so much of his efforts to this particular task is what is most impressive in my mind, far more so than not succumbing to the considerable personal challenges in his life.

Spoiler
"
Professor Stephen Hawking's has passed away.

Hawking's what? ;)
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info