Dousing flask only removes one instance of burning.

Issue: Activating a dousing flask does not remove all instances of burning from the character.

"

Immunity to Ignite during Flask effect
Removes Burning on use

This issue is also reported in the following topics:
- October 2017: Self-Ignite + RF Dousing Problem
- December 2017: RF/ignite/dousing flask bug
- March 2018: Instant Dousing Flask Only Removes One Source of Burning Per Use

Here are two short videos of this happening. Videos slowed to 5fps. Dousing flask in slot 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayLGV6N7a1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hs_r2XXQYg

The first use of the dousing flask appears to cure an ignite but not Righteous Fire.

Expected behavior: Immediately following activation of a dousing flask the character should not be burning.

Actual behavior (inferred): Upon activation of a dousing flask the most recent instance of burning is removed from the character. If the character was affected by more than one instance of burning before using the dousing flask the character still burns after using the dousing flask.

Comments: I think dousing flasks should remove all instances of burning. 'Dousing' and 'Removes Burning' imply a generic extinguish and (temporary) immunity to burning. If dousing flasks are intended to only remove a single instance of burning I think the wording could be improved to "Removes an instance of burning on use".

Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by SirGuySW on Apr 11, 2018, 1:22:20 AM
Last bumped on Jun 21, 2018, 8:40:44 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Totally agree. Just stepped into this myself and was totally confused. I expected my character to stop burning, but it kept instead, cause there was one more burn effect. Am not sure how it was intended to work, but the current state is actually confusing. Either fix the flasks or make clearer description.
Edit: After publishing this post the original post reverted to an earlier state and allowed me to edit. Go figure. Since I cannot delete my posts I've left this post here:

It seems the forum ate my original post and refuses to revert to a previous version:

https://i.imgur.com/Eva3rLQ.png
or allow me to make edits to it (all edits I've made so far seem to be ignored).

Reconstructed original post:

"

Issue: Activating a dousing flask does not remove all instances of burning from the character.

"

Immunity to Ignite during Flask effect
Removes Burning on use

This issue was previously posted on October 2017 here: Self-Ignite + RF Dousing Problem

Here are two short videos of this happening. Videos slowed to 5fps. Dousing flask in slot 1.
[[Item links temporarily removed (caused massive issues with my edit resulting in the loss of my post and ?corruption? of my post history).]]

The first use of the dousing flask appears to cure an ignite but not Righteous Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayLGV6N7a1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hs_r2XXQYg

Expected behavior: Immediately following activation of a dousing flask the character should not be burning.

Actual behavior (inferred): Upon activation of a dousing flask the most recent instance of burning is removed from the character. If the character was affected by more than one instance of burning before using the dousing flask the character still burns after using the dousing flask.

Comments: I think dousing flasks should remove all instances of burning. 'Dousing' and 'Removes Burning' imply a generic extinguish and (temporary) immunity to burning. If dousing flasks are intended to only remove a single instance of burning I think the wording could be improved to "Removes an instance of burning on use".

Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by SirGuySW on Apr 11, 2018, 1:25:53 AM
That's what i call a high quality bug report. Bravo!

I was also unaware of this issue despite having used these flasks.
GGG, can you please provide feedback listing your intentions regarding this bug (all bugs really)?

• Unclear bug report. Please elaborate.
  • Could not reproduce.
  • Not a bug.
  • Bug added to bugfix queue with priority[Low, Med, High].
  • Bug fixed. Released without patch.
  • Bug fixed. To be released in next patch.
  • Etc...

It's been almost 2 months since I reported this and others have had reports out for longer. It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to fix:

• User activates dousing flask. User's burning collection is cleared. Done.
  • Don't have access to the burning collection from flask code? Fine: User activates dousing flask. Dousing flask code executed X times where X is max # of instances of burning allowed on the character.
  • Not ideal? Waiting for some other system that will provide better access to burning code? Completely reasonable but let us know. It looks like most reports slip by with no reply at all when generic replies like the above would work just fine.

Please communicate with your users.
Last edited by SirGuySW on May 2, 2018, 12:06:39 AM
This forum is for us to report bugs to GGG, that's it. 99.99% of the threads never get a reply, but GGG does read every one of them.

If you want an interactive experience, email support.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on May 9, 2018, 7:10:15 PM
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
99.99% of the threads never get a reply
I understand that few topics get replies ... but I think GGG can do better in this area, especially when the bugs described in the reports don't get fixed quickly. Feedback is important so reporters (and GGG developers--joke mostly, we hope they use a better bug tracking system than the forum, but if they do, why are we still stuck making reports on the forum) know if a bug is fixed, too rare to fix, needs more information, etc.

For example, I was just now going to report a bug (my character is listed as dead on the HC SSF Flashback ladder yet the character is still alive in HC SSF and /deaths shows 0). However, searching for similar bug reports turned up a half dozen or so going as far back as 2013 ... none with any GGG reply. How do I process this?

GGG reads every bug report. Therefore GGG knows about the bug. If I post another bug report it would just reduce to a 'me too' post and will likely do little more than add to the report spam. So I'll trust that this bug has been well reported and will be fixed soon. On the other hand this bug has been around for quite a long time and is still not fixed (or maybe is back again after being fixed previously). Additionally, maybe GGG added additional debugging information collected on /bug since the last report. Given all that I figure maybe another report is exactly what GGG needs to obtain fresh/new data to get this bug fixed.

So I'll create a 'me too' bug report and contribute to the report spam. This might be exactly what GGG wants us to do...I really don't (and can't) know. But it doesn't seem very user friendly or collaborative. It's disappointing and not what I've become used to with regards to GGG's PR. There are all sorts of bug tracker APIs that can provide (nearly automated) feedback to reporters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This (the burning/dousing flask issue) appears to be fixed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info