A Quick Note About Nets

"
Icemasta wrote:
What part of my problem don't you understand? Chris refers that 2 tiers of net will be relevant at all time, one higher and one lower.

So whenever you encounter a special occasion, like modded rare beasts and what not, you'll need to change net tier, which means accessing the inventory, most likely in combat, to equip the proper tier.

But you CLAIMED you had to do this during combat, which is false. First, "legendary" beasts in which you may want the higher tier net, are visible far away on the map, BEFORE you enter combat. You can switch then. Second, if you're in an area that works well with say T9 nets, then why would you need to switch to T10 nets (unless you see a legendary beast, and thus refer to my first point).

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
Icemasta wrote:
What part of my problem don't you understand? Chris refers that 2 tiers of net will be relevant at all time, one higher and one lower.

So whenever you encounter a special occasion, like modded rare beasts and what not, you'll need to change net tier, which means accessing the inventory, most likely in combat, to equip the proper tier.

But you CLAIMED you had to do this during combat, which is false. First, "legendary" beasts in which you may want the higher tier net, are visible far away on the map, BEFORE you enter combat. You can switch then. Second, if you're in an area that works well with say T9 nets, then why would you need to switch to T10 nets (unless you see a legendary beast, and thus refer to my first point).

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

T10 nets will not be limited for legendary beasts only, that is 100% false. The reality of things is as follow:

People will need to change their net in combat. Doesn't matter what perfect bullshit scenario you can cook up, it will happen, and it will frustrate people.

I am literally asking for the ability to just equip both nets and therefore remove the entire hassle for everyone involved so you can just play the game instead of playing inventory management. This would help everyone, yourself included.
Last edited by Icemasta on Feb 23, 2018, 1:01:29 PM
that net-fiasco already makes me reluctant to engage in the league

but ofc the unique-rewards will be so absurd that players will feel forced to join just to not get left behind the power-creep train

MMO tactics but hey, money does not grow on trees does it?

how to halt the clear speed meta - by creating an incentive to slow down

but.. but isnt this game built around trading that means each and every challenge can be simply bought? and how do you make money? by NOT wasting time playing net-net catch-catch

unless ofc the 'rare' means ABSURDLY rare and the catching is automated to the extreme

anyway, 10 tiers is really pushing it. 3 tiers of sextants are already too much, essences with 6-7 tiers and 20 variants are tedious and now 10 nets?
"
sidtherat wrote:
that net-fiasco already makes me reluctant to engage in the league

You guys haven't even seen gameplay of it, let alone experienced it yourselves.

I bet GGG, and specifically Chris, is kicking themselves for mentioned 10 tiers of nets now, instead of just keeping quiet on it and waiting for release. Probably way more unnecessary drama over something that hasn't even been experienced yet, much less demonstrated.

"
sidtherat wrote:
anyway, 10 tiers is really pushing it. 3 tiers of sextants are already too much, essences with 6-7 tiers and 20 variants are tedious and now 10 nets?

I do agree that it seems over the top for different tiers of nets. We could just as easily had one net, with its own sets of possible mods, and just us use currency to increase RNG of capture success? Either way, we're all probably making way too much drama over something that will probably work just fine.
I still don't get what is the gameplay advantage of having pokeballs nets be consumable items.

Especially since you're saying that only one or two tiers will actually be relevant for endgame - why not just get rid of all the other tiers?

What kind of player do you think would find collecting and micromanaging net tiers an enjoyable part of the experience? Do you really think the league would lose a lot if casting a net was simply a skill that did not consume any resource, and success was determined by your character level compared to the level/strength of the beast?

Or do you want to put a lower cap on the price of the beasts equal to the price of the net required to capture them? On the one hand, this gives me hope that legendary beast encounters will be common enough where the rarity of nets will be the limiting factor, not the spawn rate of the beast. (Many players have complained about RNG spawns in past leagues.) On the other hand, this makes me concerned about the drop rate of the highest tier nets. If I encounter a legendary beast every five maps, but can't do anything to it since I hadn't had a net drop in the past three days, I will certainly be disappointed.

I know that GGG is in some cases willing to change their mind based on player feedback, and I really appreciate that position. Therefore I would like to add my voice to the crowd: remove the consumable nets, make capturing beasts simply be a skill that can be used without limitations. If necessary, adjust the spawn rate of beasts to compensate.
"
Upgrading your items in Path of Exile is a great feeling, and indicate your progression through the story.

RNGeesus, tell me they won't be AS BORING AS TALISMAN!!!
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
I still don't get what is the gameplay advantage of having pokeballs nets be consumable items.

It's there to give the 1% more trading profits. Duh. ;-)

On a serious note, it adds a second layer of RNG to the RNG of finding the specific beast you want in the first place. Perhaps GGG thought one layer of RNG was not enough?
YYYYYYIKES
█▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀
█▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀
▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀
"
Ryphe wrote:
YYYYYYIKES

gotta catch'em all
I still feel like 10 nets is a huge amount.

I understand the wish for the feeling of upgrades, but act 1 and act 2 can end very quickly if you aren't a new player, so this would make people less up to get the low ones that drops on those tiers, because if not used, they will be discarded or banked "forever" anyway.

Maybe 6 was a better quantity for it? Like for Part1 2 nets, and part2 would go for 2 more, then by mapping you would have the last 2 mentioned on post.

Until half of Part1 you would find the first net very useful, and to the other half you would focus on getting the second one, but the first could still have uses.

When part2 starts on act 6, then you could bank your First nests, and focus on Second and Third tiers, and so on.

This could give a better leveling experience for everyone to enjoy the league, even for new players, and not make experienced old players hate the first ones because they aren't that useful.
Last edited by Kinjim on Feb 23, 2018, 3:54:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info