Alienware Aurora

Guys, i'm looking to buy a new PC, and was looking at the Alienware Aurora Intel® Core™ i7 8700 16GB,DDR4,2666MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X. Anyone has any experience with Alienware to share?
Last bumped on Mar 1, 2018, 12:21:02 PM
If you’re willing to pay €500 to have their logo on your case, hey - go for it.

I’m not.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:

I’m not.

Exactly right!
Censored.
"
Sarno wrote:

I’m not.

I wish i had more time on my hand, so that i can assemble my own PC, also a better understanding at that. :)

At a local store i tinkered with their fully customizable offers and came up with this: core i5-8700K Cofee lake SixCore 3.7 GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8GB GDDR5X D, with a price tag around 1.2k$. The problem is, i don't trust how reliable they are.
Last edited by nasty69 on Feb 17, 2018, 4:22:57 PM
"
nasty69 wrote:
The problem is, i don't trust how reliable they are.

Sorry; I'm not sure I follow - how reliable which is? The parts? Your store?

The problem with stuff like what you get from Alienware is that companies make money in two main ways: prices go up, costs go down. The former speaks for itself. The latter means that you can't trust the quality of anything which they don't explicitly put in the marketing material.

The Power Supply Unit they chose? Probably garbage. The motherboard? Probably garbage. The video card? Probably a "blower" cooler straight from nVidia. The enthusiast market like slightly more expensive cards which have three fans which do a better job of cooling the card, albeit by flooding the case with hot air - meaning you need a few other fans and good airflow. The blower cards pump the hot air out the back of the case, meaning companies which use them can skimp on the CPU cooler (bad idea), case fans (bad idea), and the case itself (bad idea).

Could you pay someone at your local store to put things together for you? It'd mean having control over the components, but not having to do the work - perhaps a good compromise? I'd do it for a few beers, but I'm in Ireland and you're talking about prices in USD; there's probably more affordable options available than flying me over the weekend. :P
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
"
nasty69 wrote:
The problem is, i don't trust how reliable they are.

Sorry; I'm not sure I follow - how reliable which is? The parts? Your store?

The problem with stuff like what you get from Alienware is that companies make money in two main ways: prices go up, costs go down. The former speaks for itself. The latter means that you can't trust the quality of anything which they don't explicitly put in the marketing material.

The Power Supply Unit they chose? Probably garbage. The motherboard? Probably garbage. The video card? Probably a "blower" cooler straight from nVidia. The enthusiast market like slightly more expensive cards which have three fans which do a better job of cooling the card, albeit by flooding the case with hot air - meaning you need a few other fans and good airflow. The blower cards pump the hot air out the back of the case, meaning companies which use them can skimp on the CPU cooler (bad idea), case fans (bad idea), and the case itself (bad idea).

Could you pay someone at your local store to put things together for you? It'd mean having control over the components, but not having to do the work - perhaps a good compromise? I'd do it for a few beers, but I'm in Ireland and you're talking about prices in USD; there's probably more affordable options available than flying me over the weekend. :P

Yeah, i hear what you’re saying, and this echoes what i read from other sources. I’ll probably just end up buying the PC from the local store, instead of ordering the Aurora from the local Dell dealership.

The store here allows you to fully customize their default pc configurations to your liking, from the case, motherboard, cooling system, gpu etc with parts they have in stock, and they have some good ones, like the 8th generation intel processors, cooler master, 1080 TI 11 GB. It’s too much of a hassle for me to gather the separate parts by myself, and it’s not like there’s an abundance of options here where I currently live in Macedonia.
Last edited by nasty69 on Feb 18, 2018, 2:08:05 AM
Your local store will still have a considerable markup, but likely will be quite a bit cheaper than an Alienware still. With prebuilt PCs, especially ones aimed at gamers, the markup on parts is massive, usually ~100%.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 18, 2018, 1:01:17 PM
"
nasty69 wrote:
"
Sarno wrote:

I’m not.

I wish i had more time on my hand, so that i can assemble my own PC, also a better understanding at that. :)

/you/ don't need to build it. I got my current pc during a Christmas sale from:
https://www.ibuypower.com/
(I have used a couple other similar sites, such as cyberpower, but they were pretty crap build quality, do not recommend CP)

as with all these people who say "building it is cheapest", I had several of my friends try and prove it.
I got my pc custom-built from the above site (with their supplies) $50 cheaper than all of my friends could gather online and assemble yourself.

Basically, they have deals all the time. like:
free 8GB->16GB ram
free double hdd size, or even ssd sometimes.
free cpu upgrades
and more.
(different deals on different days. wait for holidays for even more)
(I wasn't even adding in the free keyboards/headset/games/other gimmicks)
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Feb 18, 2018, 9:19:28 PM
"
tidbit wrote:
"
nasty69 wrote:
"
Sarno wrote:

I’m not.

/you/ don't need to build it. I got my current pc during a Christmas sale from:
https://www.ibuypower.com/
(I have used a couple other similar sites, such as cyberpower, but they were pretty crap build quality, do not recommend CP)

as with all these people who say "building it is cheapest", I had several of my friends try and prove it.
I got my pc custom-built from the above site (with their supplies) $50 cheaper than all of my friends could gather online and assemble yourself.

Basically, they have deals all the time. like:
free 8GB->16GB ram
free double hdd size, or even ssd sometimes.
free cpu upgrades
and more.
(different deals on different days. wait for holidays for even more)
(I wasn't even adding in the free keyboards/headset/games/other gimmicks)

yeah Ibuypower are good folks, ive gotten two PCs from them so far and they are to notch
I dont see any any key!
The only good thing about Alienware right now is that they didn't increase prices too significantly for the shortage of GPU due to mining.

My GTX1070 is dying on me (and my warranty finished 2 weeks ago of course) and the price of a new GTX1070 is about 70% of the entire Alienware computer. It's unlikely that you could find all parts for that price, I'm actually debating buying one and reselling my parts since it's really pissing me off that the card I bought for 500$ a year ago is now going for $1,100+.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info