[3.3] Starforge Cyclone Slayer Uber Elder Down (easily)
Hi guys, Beerleague here. Back with another league starter / finisher guide at the request of board members here as well as reddit.
This is mainly for people looking for an alternative to the more popular, but older guides that may have not been updated with new items in mind.
I will try and remedy that with a quick and dirty guide. Any questions, please feel free to PM me in game or post here in the thread and I'll get back to you asap.
3.3 Update - Again, no real changes here. Tree is unchanged, gear is unchanged. Big changes are really only in the new vaal corruptions as they become BiS in many of our slots. Since we do not need a 6 link on our starforge, it may actually be quite reasonable to get a good corruption and then vorichi 5 link it. Vaal skill changes don't affect us much, but gives us a decent defensive buff.
3.2 Update - No real changes here at all. Tree stays the same, gear stays the same. Only real difference is that BiS is probably an elder leather belt instead of the Vise from 3.1. Since stun doesnt matter for cyclone, the *nerf* to slayer doesn't hurt us in any way. I'll update the trees when 3.2 goes live. As usual, any questions, put em below or contact me in game
Some other 3.2 Updates
1. Uber Elder: This build is very capable of doing uber elder and carrying 1-2 people during the fight. We are quite tanky, but it does require a fair bit of investment to get to the point of being able to consistently clear the fight.
2. Most of our build uniques are actually cheaper this league, which is good for us. The Retch is a nice option as well for mapping. Two Socket Bubonic Trails can be used now as well since they do not cost 60ex! MORE DAMAGE!
3. The beast recipe that allows for 30% quality of the a weapon is very nice for this build as it adds quite a bit of dps to our starforge.
4. Crab Gear is interesting to me, I am going to try to figure out a way to incorporate the chest into the build and see how it works. For now, I still recommend Belly though.
A few notes before we get going
1. This build is meant to be an all content build that takes a league starter (cyclone) all the way to the end of the game fairly efficiently.
2. I am using Starforge here over Disfavor for three main reasons. First, it is a far cheaper option at every stage in league regardless of league mechanics. Second, while disfavor can produce higher overall dps levels, the amount of currency needed to beat starforge while maintaining the same level of tankiness is absurd. Finally, Starforge with it's 100 life roll opens up belly of the beast as an excellent option while still being able to get 7k HP on a full dps build. I will not respond to questions regarding Disfavor in this thread. I have played both versions of the character, with amazing gear and prefer the starforge option.
3. I am open to new discussions on the build and pathing. I am not the end-all be-all god of build making, so feel free to add your own input.
Lets get on with it
Pros and Cons
Can do all content in the game minus HoGM
Can be a very cheap league starter
Excellent Lab runner
Semi-fast map clear
Safe boss killer
Only one really bad map mod: No leech (not possible)
1m Shaper Dps is possible w/o mirror gear
Is workable regardless of league mechanic
While it can do all content, it is not the best at any one thing
Not a great MF character
Not S+ tier speed/clear
As a League Starter
Go with unique axes until hezmana's bloodlust. That will carry you to guardians until you can afford a starforge (does not need to be 6 linked), buy the cheapest one and switch your tree.
Here is a sample leveling tree with axes in mind (I used this to 88 this league when I bought my Starforge for a few ex
To go along with this, you will want to get either a tabula or a corrupted RRRR/G/B chest armor and a devotos devotion, other gear just go with resists, life and MS where you can. Carnage Heart is also nice to pick up
After buying the Starforge
Work towards the following:
Helm: Devotos is really the only option here. Cyclone Enchant is Bonus
Body: Belly of the Beast is best, 6 link RRRR/G/B is also fine
Weapon: Starforge obviously, 5 link is fine
Gloves: for 3.1, Tombfist is a no brainer, 1 socket is fine
Belt: for 3.2, Vise is the best choice while mapping early on, but leather is also very good. BiS is an elder leather belt something like this:
Other possible belts:
The Retch for maping
Or just a good Vise
Ammy: Carnage Heart is good, Daressos is also good. Impressence is interesting, but I can't come up with a tree that isnt complete ass that allows me to use both Grace and Haste
Rings: Life/Res/Flat phys (will need int on one, master crafted is fine) Steel is best
Another option in 3.2 is Bubonic Trails which can provide more life and dps than rares at the cost of res. If you can cap without rare boots I would recommend these with Attack Speed Enchant:
Jewels in Tree: Life + as many DPS stats as you can afford. Attack speed, two handed attack speed, attack speed with swords, phys damage, phys with two handed, phys with swords, melee damage, area damage mods are all good.
Abyss Jewels: Life + as much phys damage as you can afford (attack speed and blind are also good), my jewels are ass BTW, need to work on these
This should net you around 7500 life. Its possible to hit 8k by dropping some dps nodes for more life.
Side note, Iron Reflexes is more of a style call. If you would rather play with evasion, go for it. It also works and gives you another point to work with. Both work. May need to alter flasks a bit without Iron Reflexes
Also, picking up Watcher's Eye with the Movement speed mod for Grace is a very nice QoL addition
Main DPS: Cyclone > Melee Phys > Maim > Brutaility > Conc/AoE > Melee DMG on full life (goes in chest)
Curse/Aura: Enlighten (lvl 3 is fine) > Blasphemy > Vuln > Grace (helm or boots)
CWDT: CDWT, Blood rage (i know the interaction is broken at the moment, just lazy), Flame Golem, IC (in boots or helm)
Movement: 5 link in sword - Leap Slam > Faster Attacks > Blood Magic > Endurance Charge on Stun > Fortify
Warchief > Faster attacks (in gloves) if one socket tomblist, add brutality.
Extra: Vaal Haste, Portal
NOTE: For pure bossing, where you cant get the stun off:
5 link your Warchief in your sword, 4 link your leap slam (drop endurance charge), 2 link CWDT in the gloves, and use a 20/20 blood rage. With the right setup this will net you over a million shaper DPS on cyclone + warcheif.
For mapping: Lunaris + Gruthkull
For Bossing: Solaris + Gruthkull
Arakaali was broken with Vaal Pact after the last patch, if fixed - use again
After you buy your starforge, you will be looking to upgrade the other slots of your gear and I will give a brief introduction on how to do that
1. Are your resists 75/75? If yes, move to next step, if no, work on that
2. Do you have t1 life on both rings, belt and boots?
3. Do you have 30+ MS on your boots?
4. Do you have a belly of the beast 6 link?
5. Is your Starforge 700+ dps? No? Buy Divines
6. Do you have a t1/2 phys roll on your rings?
7. Do you have 2 socket tombfists
8. Do you have Steel rings w/ t1 life and t1/2 phys?
9. Do you have 4 mod jewels?
10. Do you have Cyclone enchant on your helm
If you answer yes to each of these, congrats you have 1m shaper dps, if any of them are no, revisit the steps before
A Few Questions to End on
Daressos VS Carnage Heart VS impressence
This is a hard one for me, I really want to be able to build around impressence so I can fit Haste into the build, but even with a level 4 enlighten AND a haste/grace enchant, there just doesnt seem to be enough mana for cyclone to function well. I tried taking some mana reservation on the tree,
and while that does fix the issue, the dps is less, so what's the point, might be a good mapping option though. If I had a +1 curse impressence, I would use that, but after corrupting 10 so far,
no luck. This would probably be BIS tho, then we could use a second curse.
So Carnage Heart VS Daressos, I like and use both of them. Carnage Heart is easier to gear around as you will not need to use T1 INT on one of your rings as we need 111 INT in the build. Also, it gives slightly more survivability. However, Daressos provides slightly more DPS, and a little better clear with the range. Honestly, whichever you prefer is fine. They are both serviceable.
Three things really stand out here as being great upgrades:
1. Elder Belt. Thats a no brainer, also a super expensive item. It's what I am working on right now. Max life, melee damage, attack speed. Living the Dream
I did end up Chaos spamming into a decent one for now, but will continue to work on a better one
2. Boots with endurance charge would be amazing, but also extremely hard to roll well with other needed stats. Would be a great QoL and I am always on the lookout for these.
3. Elder Steel Rings, but again, like the belt, it is difficult. Great elder coral rings could also be a good idea.
Other than that, thanks for reading! If you have any questions, please let me know. I will try and get some PoB links in here in the next few days.
Tree that is currently on the character No_Time_For_Beer is the correct path for anyone curious.
My other guides
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2108654/page/1 GC totem Scion/Hiero
Last edited by BeerLeague on Jun 4, 2018, 10:12:32 PM
Last bumped on Jun 16, 2019, 12:35:16 PM
on Feb 2, 2018, 4:19:29 AM
Updated a few things, crafted a okay-ish elder belt this morning to go w/ it
on Feb 2, 2018, 9:23:31 PM
Made a few updates, cleaned it up a bit and added some pastebin links
Current tree on character is back to being correct
on Feb 5, 2018, 5:26:02 PM
All 40 challenges done with the build
on Feb 8, 2018, 4:04:25 AM
first shaper kill with this build. 10/10.
on Feb 15, 2018, 9:04:04 PM
Gonna be running it again in 3.2, nothing different so far that I can see though as of yet.
Will update when new trees come out
on Feb 27, 2018, 4:10:53 AM
Excellent guide mate, thumbs up! There's a whole bunch of cyclone slayer guides out there, but somehow this one makes most sense to me :) With changes to the slayer ascendancy in 3.2, pure phys cyclone is starting to look really interesting. A couple of questions, though, since I've never played this type of build before:
1) Why are you recommending leveling with axes rather than swords? It looks like most starforge cycloners just use kondo's pride until they can afford starforge. Are axes that much better for leveling?
2) Would you say that going for RT in early game is a priority, or would it make more sense to concentrate on leech/life/damage nodes in the south-eastern portion of the tree first?
3) I presume you've taken down the PoB links in the OP on purpose, in preparation for 3.2? Can your current cyclone character be used as a reference in the meantime?
Anyway, thanks a lot for the guide. I'm considering this as my leage starter for Bestiary, gotta finally try a phys cycloner :D
Fuck master rotas. Fuck any kind of rotas, for that matter.
on Feb 27, 2018, 4:43:57 AM
1. Generally speaking the leveling axes are better as there are not many/any good swords until you get to kondos and that is pretty late in the leveling process. Since the total refund points for switching from axes to swords is minimal, its much easier to level w/ easy to get unqiues then switch over. That is assuming you want to level w/ cyclone after it is available in act3. Otherwise, sunder is great as a league starter and you can switch over when you find/buy a Kaoms/Hezmana.
2. If leveling as cyclone, I usually grab a ton of mana leach early on and get RT around 45-50. With Sunder, you dont need the leach as much. The unique axes are enough to carry you to red maps w/o much damage from the tree, so I would focus on the leach, life and keystones first.
3. The PoB links should still be active, but I'll make sure to update them once the final tree for 3.2 comes out and will update the character (now in standard) when the tree comes back out. And yes, the tree for character No_Time_For_Beer is the correct tree atm.
Last edited by BeerLeague on Feb 27, 2018, 6:25:07 PM
on Feb 27, 2018, 6:23:54 PM
As requested, trees updated for 3.2
on Mar 1, 2018, 7:05:34 PM
Cool build, you can make a leveling tree?
on Mar 2, 2018, 9:38:11 AM