Stories from Development: What came from the Original Design?

Now to just make weapon swapping a bit more useful. It's not particularly useful when you have to try to match the same sorts of gem hotkey configurations between weapons since you can't go from bow to sword & shield without having your hotkey layout messed up if all three have active skill gem linkages.

Likewise Frenzy, Elemental Hit, and Puncture all feel a bit anemic as skills, and they're the only mixed melee/bow skills in the game. On top of that, mana cost multipliers are applied based purely on keywords and not weapon so that Elemental Hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Melee Splash has the same mana cost with a bow as with as word even though you can't make use of Lesser Multiple Projectiles with a sword or Melee Splash with a bow.

TBH, about the best use for weapon swapping, other than just leveling extra gems, I've thought of in the last two or three years is to have four Poet's Pens and have one "offensive" pair and one "defensive" pair. Put your attack skills in one set and then swap to something like Molten Shell, Ice Nova, Shock Nova, Stun, and so on in the second set.
<3
Necropolis: 95
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Great Job sharing the history with us,I always enjoy learning more about the method behind the madness!!
Great Job sharing the history with us,I always enjoy learning more about the method behind the madness!!
I truly like Stories From Development, especially as a small indie dev, GGG work is a huge inspiration.

I would love to see the original GDD and hear a bit more about the Skill Tree. I always joke with anyone in the area saying that "PoE skill tree by itself is worth two PhDs in game design" hahahah.

Thanks for all the great work!
Interesting. Did the original design document say anything specific about offline play as SSF?
"Resistances: Yes. Fire/Cold/Lightning/Chaos resistance were planned as they currently are."
Curiously, it took a long time for Chaos Resistance to become non-binary (0%, or Inoculated). Still kind of liked that setup, personally.

These're fun posts :) Reminds me of what I've seen changed, and of what had changed before I took such an interest.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 22, 2018, 6:22:57 PM
i loved the initial, competitional game design with players fighting each other for loot.

i loved the struggle to reach endgame without having to nolife the game and power trade.

i loved the game with no streamers who brainfuck the community into certain builds so the community had to think themselves

i loved having no trading platform beside trade chat so finding your own items was a option

i loved the forums being moderated by player moderators having a lenient policy

i loved ggg giving more attention to their own pcforums instead of reddit/china/xbox

well, i still love and play the game i just miss the old path of exile feeling.
Awesome read
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Curiously, it took a long time for Chaos Resistance to become non-binary (0%, or Inoculated)

i remember the time of the introduction of chaos damage, 1 day before the patch hit which introduced it in the main game. it didn't even really got tested in the alpha realm and i also liked it's initial design as a damage that couldn't be mitigated easily.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info