[Guide] What a macro is allowed to do in Path of Exile

"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
(Do kids these days still use ethernet, or has everyone gone wireless already?)

I love the option of wireless (think iPads, etc.) but for my gaming rig? Never.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
Sarno wrote:
I believe the most proficient one checks your computer's active connections and kills any being used by the game client, so it's using system calls to do it directly.

Well in this case it (technically) even isn't an in-game macro at all. It's practically equivalent to pulling out your ethernet cable. (Do kids these days still use ethernet, or has everyone gone wireless already?)

Technically, it actually sends a RST packet - short for "RESET", and the part of the TCP protocol that is used to signal "there is nothing at this port, the connection should be immediately torn down" to a sender. The effect on the PoE server is that it immediately sees a complete disconnect by the client, rather than waiting out the ten second timeout window that surrounds an unexpected disconnection.

So, it does more than just unplugging the cable would, only functions if you can communicate with the server, and works equally well regardless of the connection mode. (Also, yeah, wireless is big now, so game designers should anticipate the extra latency for most of their clients.)
"
Sarno wrote:
I'm not ignoring you - just mulling over how to best put it. Thanks. :)

I have no time-expectation here, and if you decided not to include that, it'd be just fine. I'm suggesting for your guide, but ultimately, it is yours. :)

(Plus, if I don't like it, I can write my own ;)
And what about some mouse click macros? For example, on key combination "Alt+J" it will right-click on the item under cursor, then left-click on some point, where our item is placed and return cursor back? Is it counts as one server action (using an orb from stash on item) or as separate actions (extracting an orb and using)? Macros like that one is common and useful.

Ok, if it's allowed, can player loop it? For example, jewelling an item to 6s can take a lot of clicks, but when you got it you don't need to stop macro immediately cause it will just send a lot of error messages. Is it an automation?

And, finally, if previous one is ok, what if macro will read something from screen and act with some logics (if-than-else)? For example, macro that tracks colors of sockets on item and recolor it until it gets right (user-defined) combination? It's not a memory reading, just pixel color check.

GGG macro rules is indistinct enough to force users to not using macros at all.
Last edited by lorrey on Feb 7, 2018, 3:21:13 AM
"
lorrey wrote:
And what about some mouse click macros? For example, on key combination "Alt+J" it will right-click on the item under cursor, then left-click on some point, where our item is placed and return cursor back? Is it counts as one server action (using an orb from stash on item) or as separate actions (extracting an orb and using)? Macros like that one is common and useful.

Not allowed - multiple actions. ("Picking up" an item and "applying it" to another item.)

"
Ok, if it's allowed, can player loop it? For example, jewelling an item to 6s can take a lot of clicks, but when you got it you don't need to stop macro immediately cause it will just send a lot of error messages. Is it an automation?

Absolutely not allowed; multiple actions and delays.

"
And, finally, if previous one is ok, what if macro will read something from screen and act with some logics (if-than-else)? For example, macro that tracks colors of sockets on item and recolor it until it gets right (user-defined) combination? It's not a memory reading, just pixel color check.

If it is "keep using orb until the colors are right", not allowed as per above.

If it is "if colors are wrong, click; otherwise do nothing" - I am not entirely sure, although I heavily lean towards no. Generally any logic like this tends to be forbidden (for example, "click the closest item label on the ground" to pick it up). I will leave it to Sarno to dig up a relevant quote.

"
GGG macro rules is indistinct enough to force users to not using macros at all.

That is the intention.

The rules are the way they are to specifically let through a couple of harmless things and ban everything else; not for people to try to poke holes in them and try to get by on technicalities.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 7, 2018, 4:30:40 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Not allowed - multiple actions. ("Picking up" an item and "applying it" to another item.)

But i saw a lot of using pick-use macros on different streams, even the most popular streamers doing it live.
Also this is forum thread where this macro is described and explained.

Are you sure that pick-use macro is not legal?

"
That is the intention.

You know, it's physically hard to click a couple of thousand times without a miss. And GGG forces us to do this by adding extremely low chances for 6L etc.

"
The rules are not for people to try to poke holes in them and try to get by on technicalities

If it's no way to do it inside the "legal area" somebody will try to "break out" of it.

For example, there is a lot of people, who tried to make some hard - coloring things, like 5 off-colors, and all of them know that moment when you got the right combination after a 1000 pair of clicks and then click one more time just because it hard to stop.
We are not people who try to poke holes, we are people who wants to play effective and comfortable.
If it's prohibited - i will not write, use or publish those macros.
"
lorrey wrote:
But i saw a lot of using pick-use macros on different streams, even the most popular streamers doing it live.

Refer to the first post of this thread, specifically the last question.

"
Also this is forum thread where this macro is described and explained.

A thread with zero GGG replies, posted by a person who has been banned? OK.

"
You know, it's physically hard to click a couple of thousand times without a miss. And GGG forces us to do this by adding extremely low chances for 6L etc.

[...]

For example, there is a lot of people, who tried to make some hard - coloring things, like 5 off-colors, and all of them know that moment when you got the right combination after a 1000 pair of clicks and then click one more time just because it hard to stop.
We are not people who try to poke holes, we are people who wants to play effective and comfortable.

The purpose of this thread is not to argue what is comfortable or not. The purpose is, I quote, "to clarify what type of macros are permitted in Path of Exile, and which are against the rules."

If you feel that the rules should be changed, you should post in the Feedback and Suggestion forum. It is highly unlikely that your idea will be heard here.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 7, 2018, 7:19:38 AM
Something that I've wondered, though haven't tried, is performing multiple actions across multiple hotkeys. An example to this would be gem swapping.

Q -> Open inventory
W -> Click gem
E -> Replace gem in item
R -> Put gem in inventory
T -> Close inventory

You can bind macros to each of these keys and press them in rapid succession to effectively accomplish a complex task. Each individual key press performs a single action.

Thoughts?
Would the cursor be manipulated manually by moving the mouse?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 20, 2018, 8:58:52 PM
In this instance it would be the macro moving the mouse. Though I wouldn't think that would matter since I don't believe a mouse move would be a server action. I do recall old logout macros that would move the cursor to the logout button.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info