[Guide] What a macro is allowed to do in Path of Exile

"
Geseth wrote:
Useful, thank you for creating that thread.

"
Sarno wrote:
[...]Whenever I make a claim - particularly about something not being okay - I shall try to provide a publicly available source. [...]

Godlike attitude - may the Force be with you!

Thanks!

(But I say I'll try because it might not always be possible.)
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
Sarno wrote:
excellent guide

Might be worth adding some variant of this to the guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2076969/page/1#p15233879
"Can I use a macro which activates all of my flasks at once?"
and the answer is no.

Who ever said no, is just being nitpicky, it's the same as saying you can only use 1 finger for keyboard. I can pop all 5 of them with all of my fingers at the same time. What if I just put a popsickel across the 1-5 and just push it once, what if I modify my keyboard or have a modified keyboard that does all of that with a single action.

Also the timer macro is not being specific, but they don't allow that because they don't allow automation.

What if you did a macro with a timer that with a single key press would activate flasks one by one from 1-5 once or whatever order. And then after it's done you have to push the macro key again to repeat the sequence.

GGG is just hellbent against anything automated, but only if it's more than 1 action in terms of how the server sees it.

Guess GGG has never heard of the way of quality of life, what if I use an auto clicker option in terms of hold key, that's a single press for a single action, the game repeats it anyways.

PS. I don't use "macros", except for keybindings, the same thing as macros. As in BYOND for example normally you either click in the menu to activate an action or type in the action, but you could do a macro/keybind for that action/word, or make a sequence of those actions along with movements to make more advanced combat techniques.
"
IchigoMait wrote:
What if I just put a popsickel across the 1-5 and just push it once

I have answered this.
"
Sarno wrote:
Does it matter if I am using AHK, proprietary software, etc?

No. It is important to understand that in the eyes of the developers they are creating rules based on what a player may or may not do - not specifically how a player may go about doing so. Using AutoHotKey, or software which came with your mouse or keyboard, or even a physical solution such as a popsicle stick would all be viewed the same way.

Sources;

I didn't put those words in bold when responding to you; it's like that in my post. You replied on the 26th and my post was last edited on the 23rd. Your question was answered - in bold text - with links to two separate responses from GGG Support explicitly answering your question.

I really don't know what more I could do. :/

"
IchigoMait wrote:
what if I modify my keyboard or have a modified keyboard that does all of that with a single action

See the quote in the above spoiler tag.

"
IchigoMait wrote:
What if you did a macro with a timer that with a single key press would activate flasks one by one from 1-5 once or whatever order. And then after it's done you have to push the macro key again to repeat the sequence.

Well GGG has a rule that macros cannot contain a timer in any circumstances, so you'd be breaking that rule, and they've a rule that a macro can only result in a single action - yours performs five - so you'd be breaking that rule, too. All of this is covered in the post you are responding to, which you don't appear to have read. The quote above is the first question and answer. I could understand not bothering to read all of them, but you didn't even read one...
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
Sarno wrote:
excellent guide

Might be worth adding some variant of this to the guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2076969/page/1#p15233879

Hey, sorry for being slow to react.

I'm not ignoring you - just mulling over how to best put it. Thanks. :)

----

I had a thought: what if there was just a rule "all that a macro is allowed to do is to send a single chat message or command"? It would implicitly answer all the common and not-so-common questions. Would we lose anything significant? As far as I know, all allowed macros that can't be replaced by e.g. keybindings are ultimately just interacting with the chat console.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 26, 2018, 11:29:01 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
I had an idea: what if there was just a rule "all that a macro is allowed to do is to send a single chat message or command"? It would implicitly answer all the common and not-so-common questions. Would we lose anything significant? As far as I know, all allowed macros that can't be replaced by e.g. keybindings are ultimately just interacting with the chat console.

There's the logout macro, which I detest but Chris believes is good for the game.

First starts talking about logging out: https://youtu.be/HKgvHRzt3ao?t=1h11m15s

Specifically talking about a logout macro: https://youtu.be/HKgvHRzt3ao?t=1h13m30s

----

Last edited by Sarno on Jan 26, 2018, 11:39:32 AM
"
Sarno wrote:
There's the logout macro, which I detest but Chris believes is good for the game.

Oh is the logout macro not just a chat command too? I've never used one.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Oh is the logout macro not just a chat command too? I've never used one.

I believe the most proficient one checks your computer's active connections and kills any being used by the game client, so it's using system calls to do it directly.

----

"
Sarno wrote:
I believe the most proficient one checks your computer's active connections and kills any being used by the game client, so it's using system calls to do it directly.

Well in this case it (technically) even isn't an in-game macro at all. It's practically equivalent to pulling out your ethernet cable. (Do kids these days still use ethernet, or has everyone gone wireless already?)
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jan 26, 2018, 12:37:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info