[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

"
Posid wrote:
"
I am wondering if it's worth using dread banner with generosity (afaik it is used for reducing enemy accuracy, right?).

I have about 98% chance to avoid any physical and ranged attacks (combined evade and dodge, not counting avatar of the veil) from monsters lvl 84 without jade flask so I replaced it with bottled faith.

So I wonder if dread banner will push my 98% avoidance further through reducing enemy accuracy.

You can't combine your evasion and dodge, it's 2 different mechanics and is rolled for separately. Taking that into account, it's good to make sure that you are evasion capped regardless of how much dodge you have. It's also worth noting how entropy for evasion works so that you don't think 95% evasion and 75% dodge means monsters only have 1.25% chance to hit you (it's a bit more deterministic than that, but the math is complicated but it means that for every x attack, 1 of them will definitely go through to your dodge check. Dodge is however not entropy based and is pure chance).

Evasion is rolled for before dodge. So the more attacks you evade, the less attacks go through to roll against your dodge.

Evasion cap is 95% and is pretty hard to reach without a large investment without dread banner/generosity combo when you have wind dancer (Try disabling dread banner in PoE and you can see what difference it does to your evasion percentage). a lvl 84 mob has 536 and the dreadbanner/generosity effectively lowers this to 369 according to wiki numbers. So for example I'm at 16k evasion if I have not taken damage recently (winddancer), if I disable dreadbanner I drop down to 82% evade chance instead of 95, which is of course a massive change, if I'm in a 50% increased monster accuracy map, my evade chance drops to 68%.

The point at which you can remove dreadbanner/generosity looks to be at around 25400 evasion mark assuming level 84 mobs and around 42k evasion if you want to have 95% evasion in maps with 50% increased mob accuracy. This is based on my character that has the +3% evade node survivalist.

Anyways all of that is just to say that the 10% mana reservation is extremely well spent and is about 75% as effective as blinding the enemies at less than half the reservation cost, but still gives you the option of applying blind. The range of dreadbanner is also almost twice that of flesh and stone which helps apply the accuracy debuff to ranged mobs as well.

I have 8% chance to evade AND dodge while affected by grace watcher's eye.
"How come only evil forces were released?" - "Because there are no good forces."
"So, then. You don't believe that there is a God." - "There was a god."
"Well, then. Where is he now?" - "I killed him," said Kane.
Yesterday i released another big update to my Blight guide. Mostly in data dump part rather than strategy like last time.

"
Posid wrote:
Spoiler
I've had a lot of fun with the build this league. It wasn't my league starter as I wanted to be able to do the new boss content and I know how poorly Caustic arrow scales for bossing and how good gear you need for it to not take ages.

I wanted to be able to farm haewark hamlet maps quickly for harvest so I figured raider with permanent onslaught would be awesome.

Build worked out way better than I expected and mostly went off of this guide to start with. I did however make a few changes which does cost a lot but makes the build feel infinitely better even if it probably isn't hardcore friendly (it probably still is you just go for less damage nodes).

Caustic arrow without arrow nova is kind of annoying for clearing maps once you see how much coverage you get with arrow nova. Issue with arrow nova is that you dumpster your single target DPS so you can fix that with either gem swapping or having a weapon swap setup with single target.

You can't really make the swap to arrow nova for red maps until you get enough DoT multiplier mods on gear, but once you do oh boy does it speed up. Rituals are basically entirely perma covered in CA making them very low maintenance to clear. for open maps you basically kill the entire screen per cast and even very juiced tier 16 maps can be cleared in a minute or 2.

Scaling Toxic Rain in the weapon swap is a bit more difficult, but if you do it with wicked pall on cluster jewels you can still somewhat scale both CA and TR at the same time without losing too much. Mana issues are solved with -9 mana cost on both rings and then mana regen craft on neck/ring and then I also take 2x Eldritch Inspiration on medium cluster jewels.

I'm still not done min/maxing as the build is a ton of fun to play once you solve the single target issue. The last 3 Mavens I've done has been deathless and I haven't died to uber elder at all in 4+ kills, ironically the boss that gives me the most trouble is the Eradiator.

I'm amazed at how tanky the build feels with Kintsugi+wind dancer and capped evasion, didn't know an evasion based character could feel this good. Currently testing out a double avoid rare chest instead of the kintsugi but I'm not sure which one I prefer, it does feel pretty good to have 75% dodge and 71% spell dodge passively before any conditional effects though (also using Grace with a watcher's eye giving +10 attack dodge and 15% movement speed).

Anyways just wanted to share my experience with the build, it's been a blast and the guide was a very good reference and had a lot of good inspiration. The only thing I feel you might want to expand on or update a bit is the parts relating to the onslaught ascendancy changes for Raider, it seems like a lot of the things that are recommended are raider pre ascendancy changes.

Some highlights:

I got incredibly lucky with the amulet and hit T1 life + dexterity skill gems in 80 or so aberrant fossils. Slammed T1 chaos damage multi on the first chaos slam so I feel a bit dirty. The reduced requirement mod was a yolo influence slam for malevolence mana reservation, but ended up being kind of useful in meeting the stat requirements for Dread banner and Wither.

Edit: As a sidenote I'd be curious in knowing how to drop grace and retaining evasion cap without having jade flask up. because of the vulnerability to spell damage I'm probably going to swap out stibnite/jade for topaz/sapphire flasks to have the reduced lightning and cold damage taken and have the full ruby/sapphire/topaz setup. Dropping grace would open up using flesh and stone and skitterbots which I like the idea of.

I'm not going to comment on everything in detail because it would take me too much time (slow writer & creating essays is not a good combo).

Your character - your choice of playing. Goal of my build is to make a tanky character while dishing out reasonable amounts of damage - and it's doing the job well on budget. Going all the way for TR swap which requires lots of work (and money) to be useful is not my style. You consider low single target a "problem", i don't. Everything but bosses dies almost instantly anyway.

Going for maximum attack dodge is mostly for fun. It's not needed. Build already gets hit once in 50 attacks. Spell dodge and damage mitigation are significantly more important.

You can MAYBE (not sure) the cap if you have full gear with #% to evade chance which can be found on Redeemer items. However this is lots of work and little gain i would say. If you have survivability problems then... maybe you should actually ditch second cluster jewel setup instead? You'll get lots of life that way. Flesh and Stone is overall bad choice, only good due perma blind which is not useful during map clear. And do you really need less damage taken from attacks when you get hit once per 50 times? Think about it. I never liked Skitterbots, would rather use Aspect of the Spider instead (Crab is still superior).

I know i have stuff to update. It's simply time consuming to do one big check of multiple pages of text and check if they're all consistent. It's easier to miss couple of things than you think.

"
MrPluszu wrote:
Spoiler
I wanted to thank the author once again for thq smoothest character ever. I struggled quite a bit starting this league, every build I tried just didn't feel "right". Then I just decided to roll CA raider again. Oh, boy was it a right decision. I am nowhere near end-game set-up. My tooltip sits at ~600k rn (without charges) and my tree is a mess. Currently trying to finish an ok-ish amulet (+1 chaos/chaos multi/t1 life) but harvest doesn't want to give me non-chaos to chaos. :/

Things worth to mention:
1) Once I got to t14/16 I started dying like every map so I swapped from Cherubin to Kintsugi (damn, its expensive) and it helped a lot.
2) I just finished my first ever Deathless Sirus. I was worried I didn't have enough dps but oh, boy was it smooth. I always hated that fight and I guess this build cured my fears. Now I will try to do my 10 boss fights and push for maven while finishing the gear if I get what I need. Worth to mention I only ever killed sirus like 6 times so it is a big step for me in any league I play.
3) Immortal call sucks and I don't know how ppl use it. Kappa

And If I can ask a question, what do you guys think about that +1 support gems implicit bows? Is it worth to invest into one? As of now the base is 18 ex alone so monkaS but I just wanna ask if I ever drop some cash. xD

Thanks again. : )

Only chase worthy implicits are +1 to all Socketed Gems and explosion. Most of these bows are probably on bad bases (low attack speed) and possibly even low ilvl which prevents from rolling certain mods.

As long as +2 gems amulet exists, i don't see a reason to pay fortune for a bow like that.

"
DarkKaine wrote:
The guide mentioned 2-4 free gem slots with the setup, yet when I do the math the gems occupy exactly 24 slots. Where do the free slots come from?

There's actually 23 gems, Grace appears twice - once as normal aura (which you later don't use) and vaal aura. Some gems are optional, you don't have to take them. I actually no longer use Vaal Grace for example (even tho it's still useful) and i rarely get to use Vaal Blight. That's already 3 free gems slots.

"
Posid wrote:
Spoiler
As a general rule of thumb +1 gem level is usually considered a 10% improvement to base damage on skill/spell for abilities that have flat damage.

In this case you'd have to look at what level you're aiming for to see what difference it would make. For example upgrading CA from 29 to 30 is a roughly 12.5% improvement, where as upgrading from 30 to 31 is like a 6% improvement.

The scaling on skills past level 30 was nerfed a few leagues ago so usually there are better ways of scaling skills past level 30. That said when +1 skills are available and don't conflict with any other more multipliers then usually it's still good to pick them up.

In the case of picking up a +1 as an implicit then you don't actually lose anything because CA generally doesn't benefit from any bow implicits anyway (I haven't actually looked through the synthesis implicits for other potential good ones though). That said you have to ask yourself if the price tag is worth it for a 5-6% more modifier.

In some cases picking up +gem levels allow you to replace that mod on other pieces of gear, however you don't conflict with that many great mods on the amulet so +2 on the amulet is still a good pickup and is also fairly consistent to craft without too much investment.

You're forgetting something. It's not just +1 level to CA, it's also extra level to support gems other than Empower. That's extra ~2%. The actual increase in damage is ~7-8% or so.

Still not worth paying a fortune when there are better mods or you could instead. (pointed them out in earlier reply)

"
k4n3 wrote:
Spoiler
I am wondering if it's worth using dread banner with generosity (afaik it is used for reducing enemy accuracy, right?).

I have about 98% chance to avoid any physical and ranged attacks (combined evade and dodge, not counting avatar of the veil) from monsters lvl 84 without jade flask so I replaced it with bottled faith.

So I wonder if dread banner will push my 98% avoidance further through reducing enemy accuracy.

I have 8% chance to evade AND dodge while affected by grace watcher's eye. [

If you don't need it, then don't use it. It's simple as that.

8% chance to evade mod on grace used to be chase item back in the day... until Malevolence became necessary due to high boss hp that is. You can still do that but i don't believe it's worth losing Aspect of the Crab for that.

"
Viktranka wrote:
Spoiler
There's another synthesis implicit that is increased chaos damage, according to poedb it can go up to 40% but I don't know if that would beat +1 support.

Should be around 5-6% more dmg for low-mid budget. High budget with cluster jewels gets like 4-5% more damage.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Feb 10, 2021, 12:56:49 PM
are we able to do reflect maps? sorry im quite new to the build and i noticed it wasnt under map mods to watch out for
"
CheeseOmelet wrote:
are we able to do reflect maps?
Yes. Any phys damage you do is not noticeable (CA initial arrow and frenzy). Especially since "perfect" bow has next to no weapon damage on it. This also makes Atziri fairly easy with this build (the trio before her is harder than the boss itself).
how about elemental reflect?
You don't deal ele dmg with this build. Any reflect is fine.
Hello everyone. Another league with this build. 5 league in a row it annihilate all content. Played on pc/xbox.(pc profile: lolofake171). Decided start this new league on xbox with some cyclone champ. It was too slow ,squishy and bad scaled with gear from floor. Yesterday i did the +2/dot multi neck with double multi quiver and got 1m dps in tooltip. Thank you once again for this build. By the far this one is my favourite! GL HF to all caustic raiders the true meta underdog

I’ve had a blast with this build. I’ve tried to follow the guild but of course harvest came out around the same time so I went a little wild. Still plenty of optimizations to do, but lmk what you think
"
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

I’ve had a blast with this build. I’ve tried to follow the guild but of course harvest came out around the same time so I went a little wild. Still plenty of optimizations to do, but lmk what you think

One question, do you have any way to maim to take advantage of the belt enchant?
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Legolasgrnlf wrote:
"

One question, do you have any way to maim to take advantage of the belt enchant?

Nah the belt enchant I’m still trying to get wither on. I also plan on getting rid of the herald and making a chaos/projectile ring instead.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info