Risk versus Reward in PoE: Bosses

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You play this game because you enjoy the feeling of satisfying a want. You want maps. You want a 6L. You want orbs. When you get these things you feel good.

What you're asking for here though is to remove the want and replace it with an expected outcome. If you would come to expect red maps, you'll no longer feel that want and satisfaction. You are asking naturally that GGG help grant you what you want... but you don't realize that you're asking them to remove the want itself. Without want, this game is pointless.

They removed what most of people answering in this thread wanted actualy. Do i have to conclude this game is now pointless ? Following your logic.

Removed want of taking risk for possible reward. Promoted a no risk great rewards gameplay. This game is now pointless.

If only it was that simple :)
Hf :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
You play this game because you enjoy the feeling of satisfying a want. You want maps. You want a 6L. You want orbs. When you get these things you feel good.

What you're asking for here though is to remove the want and replace it with an expected outcome. If you would come to expect red maps, you'll no longer feel that want and satisfaction. You are asking naturally that GGG help grant you what you want... but you don't realize that you're asking them to remove the want itself. Without want, this game is pointless.

I was rather discussing why should I enter the boss room and risk getting one shotted from some bosses (or affix combinations on map applied to bosses) instead of just leaving the map and opening another one.

I don't want guaranteed drops. That sounds about silly as saying "Diablo III is good".
We obviously need to keep the RNG and random stuff in. But it doesn't mean we abstain from having any reason to do bosses whatsoever.

All we look for is a worthwhile nudge suggesting you just might want to kill the boss even though it ain't as safe and as quick as hordes of mobs. So far there is no such nudge apart from atlas completion.
Bosses should drop harbinger/horizon shards... that way even if your on a streak of bad luck via map drops, killing the boss can give you something in the long run. Maybe rename harbinger shard since it may not make sense for map bosses to drop them but an orb that does the same thing but without the beachhead map.

Currency shards. Yes. While entirely underwhelming as a league mechanic, they may be just worthwhile enough to spice up boss kills without creating a self-defeating reward scenario.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Ah fuck no. Plz not shards again...

If they are to drop "the cool" Orbs, let them drops the Orbs and make them rare enough.
Please dont force me again to pick up shards.

Shards are just feeling terrible imho
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

May as just remove all the 6links and good uniques from the game then if getting them is as bad as you say...sorry but this "want" argument is dumb,me and all of my friends have quit this league because the endless grinding for something you'll ever get just isn't fun for anyone anymore. "Want" only motivated you when the "want" is actually within reach.

All this is irrelevant though because nothing you said has anything to do with making bosses worth running, your whole post is off-topic.

The fact simply is that bosses are less rewarding than any random pack of normal trashmobs and that's fucking dumb.

Why should an 0 risk encounter with trash be more rewarding than an encounter that actually has a chance at killing you and takes several hundred times as long to do?
Last edited by MangoBaron on Jan 23, 2018, 12:53:10 PM
"
e1337donkey wrote:
Bosses should drop harbinger/horizon shards... that way even if your on a streak of bad luck via map drops, killing the boss can give you something in the long run. Maybe rename harbinger shard since it may not make sense for map bosses to drop them but an orb that does the same thing but without the beachhead map.

Nice idea. And sharper or uber atziri league stones. Or at least some shaters of league stones.
"
silarius wrote:
I don't want guaranteed drops. That sounds about silly as saying "Diablo III is good".
We obviously need to keep the RNG and random stuff in. But it doesn't mean we abstain from having any reason to do bosses whatsoever.

Exactly this.

I like the idea mentioned by some of you guys, to add some more secret things in boss room or coffer etc ...

( Vault map / Shore / Arid lake like etc ... )

No guaranteed rewards, but at least it would give back the "treasure hunt" feeling and eventualy risk versus reward depending how it's implemented.
Another solution would be to have a buffed / Uber version of each bosses, no idea how it could be nicely implemented tho.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Jan 23, 2018, 3:44:35 PM
You can stomp your feet and turn red in the face... but it doesn't mean that GGG is going to give into this. You can't increase rewards without changing the basic dynamics of the game. Making stuff more common isn't in the best interest of the players even if they seem adamant that it would be.

The current situation gives you a choice. Some say kill the boss. Some say skip it. Sounds right to me. Only detraction we have are from people who don't seem happy with their choice. That's on them.
"
LowBudget780 wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

It's a balancing act for sure but right now the game definitely feels much more pointless than rewarding (for me anyways.) I'm just running maps, not getting an equal amount of maps in return, not progressing to anything higher tier, not finding anything notable besides currency to flip. I know burnout, etc.. but it's not really that, the game just feels bad with these empty maps and shit returns, I can run 5 t15s in a row, chiseled, vaaled, w/bloodlines and 3 frags and still not get a guardian map or even 5 t15's to replace the ones I just ran, it's not fun at all

Agreed same here. Only running maps for currency and shaped items.
Last edited by Kastmar on Jan 23, 2018, 7:03:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info