Risk versus Reward in PoE: Bosses

The buffable bosses feel rewarding.

If every single map boss had that mechanic it would be fine with me.
Perception is reality.
1) New player, started march -17. Never done any serious mapping, so only story bosses. But yes, I'm always happy when I kill a story boss, the reward lies in the progression of the game, and not the eventual loot.
Those are not bosses who kill, but crazy coincidence of mapmods.

1) Ofc I feel rewarded when killing map boss, that sense of accomplishment and ego is the best reward. Well, ripping to unlucky combination of mapmods with the specific boss abilities (like turbo rigwald wolf or piety spinning her magick ray like a helicopter) isn't that rewarding though.

2) Loots drops are too rng anyway, and the game is less hardcore these days, i'd just prefer to leave it as is. Mb redistribute existing themed uniques pool between related bosses to make them somewhat a target for farming.

On a practical side there's completely no reason to do map boss unless you farm specific items from him.
Map bosses should drop a map fragment which can be turned in for a random map of the tier it drops in.
The chance and number of fragments should be based on individual boss difficulty and map affix difficult. I.E lava lake kitava with any damage mod should drop about .5 to 1 map's worth of return for that tier.

This is too replace the random flat 30% or what ever chance to drop a map which seems like its much lower and often times not even of the same tier.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Ashwin wrote:
2. Here are a few options:

a. Boss has a guaranteed map drop of the same tier, with a 50% chance to drop +1 tier and a 25% chance to drop +2 tier.

That would ruin the game. There would be so many T15 maps in circulation that people would be vendoring them for ID scrolls.
"
Honestly if they made it so each boss GUARANTEED a map drop between -1 and +2 I would probably kill every boss.

"
Ashwin wrote:

a. Boss has a guaranteed map drop of the same tier, with a 50% chance to drop +1 tier and a 25% chance to drop +2 tier.

"
Nephalim wrote:
Map bosses should drop a map fragment which can be turned in for a random map of the tier it drops in.

would you guys say it is worth to kill the bosses if they dropped a guaranteed alt orb? would you guys say it is worth to kill the bosses if they always dropped a map between -1 and +2 tier, but each and every map could be bought for 1 alt orb?
the issue is for the builds that GGG and the community in general encourage bosses aren't actually risky, so the reward is perfectly in line with them.

I'm actually ok with the current implementation outside of the occasional really rippy boss that probably needs a mild nerf, they have a decent-ish chance to drop a map compared to the regular trash, seems enough for how easy they are.

Edit: would be nice if rewards scaled up appropriately though, some T15/16s with multiple mods should have a major loot shower as they definitely are no reward for high risk.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Jan 22, 2018, 12:09:39 PM
1/ Do you feel rewarded when killing bosses ?
Not at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BDGcNRKyEk
Anecdotal? yes
Can I make 95 out 100 map bosses similar videos? yes

2/ If the answer to question 1 is no, why ? What do you suggest to improve that part ?
On Harbinger after 1 month of play I decided to reshape my Atlas and run Vaults. Made more currency on 3 days than on one month of "normal" play.
Eventually I got bored as hell and I´m totally avoiding Vault(my loss I know) but I kinda miss the gold piles at the boss room.

Maybe put one of those gold pile at any boss room (with same drops as Vault piles) or just go absolutely crazy and put two of them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2844110
easy solution: no map drops from regular monsters. maps only drop from boss :)
I only kill the boss in 2 circumstances:

(1) Atlas achievement
(2) The build I am playing can faceroll the boss.

My current character has a hard time with the Mud Geyser boss for some reason, and Plateau so I always skip those. I have max resists but I seem to struggle with the big elemental hitters.

If you added a guaranteed map drop of equal or higher to the boss, everyone would run them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info