new player's enquiry about currency

Make sure you realize that advice comes from different perspectives. If you're playing on HC/SSF/Abyss, you'll get different advice from someone who plays on Standard. I play SSF/Abyss.

I tend to ID rares on the top of their implicit range, like +16 two-stoned rings, or +24 hybrid amulets. Those tend to keep me well enough along the curve that the lower rolls can be used for the chaos recipe. Mind you... I don't sell stuff. Good items get saved and possibly used on future characters. Good items are really really hard to find in SSF, so most get sold to vendors. IDing doesn't make sense then.

If you're stocking up a shop, then you need to look for items other players want. Keep an eye on what tier the mods you get are. A rare with a couple T1s can sell for quite a bit. That takes knowledge and work though... and I don't play games for that.
Chaos recipe: Worth when you start a new league and don't have any cents to fund your build

Regal recipe: Useful if you are going to roll jewels

Clearspeed: This is a good way if it's not the best one to end rich - The faster your clear the more item you drops including currencies and possible jackpot.

High level mapping / bossing: This is part ( and goal ) of the game and you should obviously aiming for it.

Trading: This is a core part of the game, you must trade if you want to maintain a decent wealth with less time investement. Except if you go in Solo self found ofc.

Flasks: You can roll and sell flasks for decent prices

Selling gears: Anything that is useful for your build, will be useful for somebody else playing it, in fact the more builds you are running the more you are rewarded for your knowledges.

Flipping: If you just started the game this is a good way to give up on your adventure, you will be rich but you will end bored soon enough in 99% of cases.

Doing services: At some point you will eventualy consider running bosses services for others players ( uberlab for example )
I really like this way to generate a decent wealth, i know most players hate labyrinth there will be always an high demand for that, just asking players to come with an offering anndd it's kinda giving me one free run for challenges list + one free enchant + some random currencies. Also, this is one of the best way to meet great folks !

Sextants blocking: Yes this is useful. No it's not really worthing it if you don't use a dedicated build for this strategy with some IIQ / IIR.

As mentioned in this thread you are free to play this game the way you want, those advices are just random ones i used to do or still do, plenty of ways to increase your wealth from time to time.
In all case whatever you are doing all remain in efficiency at doing it, if you spend 5 mins between each maps doing a chaos recipe then you waste time, if you stash everything between maps and ID / sort out / do chaos recipes at the end of the day then there are some good progress and returns :)

Some players will probably tell you to take x or y item filter, personaly i think this is a bad advice, a good item filter is one you take care about and setup yourself and adapt to your strategy.
For example i mentioned flask here, there is a really popular item filter hiding them in one of it's endgame version, same for jewels etc ...
This is a good way to hide important things in my opinion.

Last thing players seems to forgot a lot when talking about wealth, is simply grouping with others players this is a subject that has been discussed a lot past years but no the Bonus per players in party is not that useless. Eventualy the game performances part in party will be an issue.
Anyway i let you judge by yourself what you prefer, hope you enjoy Path of Exile in your own way and have fun ! :) Welcome to hell !
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Jan 22, 2018, 8:13:33 AM
Thanks a lot for info.
what's flipping? buy low sell high?
If you want to generate actual wealth you're pretty much stuck with gambling, crafting, or flipping. Forget mapping it's a total waste of time, and basically if all players did it they would be roughly in the same bracket of wealth.

The way item prices are distributed in PoE is that a very, very tiny percentage of items have 99% of the game's worth, whereas the rest are either vendor trash or low chaos. For example knowing the desired vaal implicit rolls on some uniques can comfortably get you 10-100+ex from a single item. Crafting from a good base is real profitable too but assumes you have the initial materials to invest in it.
One more thing, if you are playing in abyss SC or generaly in SC temp leagues you have to understand after little to no time items value will totaly drop and they will become near to impossible to sell.

There is no item sink in SC mean players can use again their gears for others chars etc ...
In HC if you die you character is transfered to Standard league, you loose everything you have to buy some new toys again. This is two really different economies.

Also a good start to learn what is worthing something or not is to actualy know about popular streamers builds, and popular build guides they influence a lot players build decisions during leagues sooo items required for those builds will likely have an higher value and demand.
Hf :)
Some leagues I have quite a lot of wealth, and some I just have a few hundred chaos. All that matters to me though is if I can fund my mapping and an alt. Everything beyond that is just there if I want to help guildmates.
"
LowBudget780 wrote:
This depends, league start yes chaos recipe is worth it when ex ar cheap, dump everything into a quad tab and when it's full sort it all out. Later on in league not really.

For what it's worth, this is my league-starting strategy. I hate lab, so the usual strategy of "make a lab farmer first" is of no interest to me. Rather, I use the chaos recipe to get enough currency to buy 3-4ex within the first week of a league to use a month into the league to fund a new build, when exalts rise in price. I could go further with it if I played more, but I usually only manage to squeeze in 1-2 hours most weekdays.
Well currency is quite important for crafting good gear that fits your build. However, seeing as you don't play a lot i'd recommend just buying stuff off the market. Otherwise you'd be spending all your time just farming instead of playing what you want to play.

If you're a crafter your current currency is unlikely to cut it, unless you play a very easy to gear build. But if you're a buyer, you can buy all kinds of good stuff with that little.

I mean I spent like 25 chaos on shaped items I like to see if I can reroll them into something worth keeping. For that money you can buy build enabling stuff like belly of the beast or multiple good rares.
Last edited by Manthe_blaqskull on Jan 22, 2018, 12:30:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info