new player's enquiry about currency

I just want to know stuff about economy in this game. I know how orbs work,exchange rates etc...

I've started playing this game after like 3 weeks of abyss launch.. have around 200 hours in steam.

So far,I have 120 chaos,around 500 jeweller's... and items worth around 100 chaos more(according to POE trade)

My question is,how good is that or is it any good? what is average POE player's budget like?

also,any tips for making currency efficiently would be appreciated..
Last bumped on Jan 22, 2018, 12:26:20 PM
I'd put you in the "working stiff" class. Not a bad place to be. You make enough to get by and have a pretty decent life. Your idea of a good weekend is a six-pack and friends over to watch the game.

You're not ever going to be rich, but you're ok with that.

If you dream of wealth, you're going to have to play a completely different game. Trade. Running high level maps with the same over-powered character. Night and Day. Until you realize that having 100 exalts isn't all that much more fun than having 100 chaos.

Best way to learn to do that is to join a guild that's focused on that type of play. They'll show you the ropes and help you get started.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jan 22, 2018, 6:57:54 AM
You're in the same tax bracket as me. I earn enough money to fund builds and then I promptly stop caring about earning money. I've earned about 20 exalts so far this league and mostly just by playing the game, not by using any particular top-tier currency making method. Like Shags said, we'll never be rich, but we don't mind, because we have enough to get by.

Lower middle class. Not unsurprisingly where I'd put myself in real life, too.

That's where you're at right now.

(I will say, though, that learning a few tricks to make some extra currency WHILE you're just playing the game is never a terrible idea. Get a good loot filter, know what to pick up and what to leave on the ground in terms of what has the best chance of being an expensive rare item, managing inventory space, etc. Never hurts.)
One thing. Is making a chaos and regal recipes worth it or should i identify the gear i find?
"
One thing. Is making a chaos and regal recipes worth it or should i identify the gear i find?

It's worth it as a jumping-off point, and then at some point it'll become tedious. Do it until you have enough currency to buy what you need to keep mapping without doing it, and at that point focusing on mapping more and just identifying rares will net you more currency per hour. Especially when you're doing tier 10+ maps and dropping level 75+ rares that vendor for regals, which are worth less and due to the higher level of monsters you're killing require more effort.

For you, in particular, I'd say if you've got 120 chaos lying around in your stash with nothing you desperately need to spend it on, you're probably okay to stop using the recipe. You'll find yourself going through about twice as many maps as you did before when you stopped to pick up junk rares.
"

It's about personal preferences, there are no rules or most efficient approach.
If you can live with the tedious recipe completion, do it. But also have in mind that high ilvl items, once in a blue moon, can bring you pretty nice profit if you identify.
Also, if doing recipes, you obviously have to equip your char by buying needed items. It eventually may affect you.

According to your wealth - it's nothing from the PoV of a heavy trader/flipper, but also pretty juicy for a semi-SSF player with few trades here and there. So, it depends. If you are happy with it - then you going just fine.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
I do them... but mainly as a motivator rather than as an income source. I find that the short-term goal of completing a chaos recipe is needed to keep me interested in play for those longer term goals.
chaos recipe is never worth it, you should identify rings/amulets, some can be worth a lot. regal recipe is not worth it either, but can be done if you enjoy a not so efficient style of gameplay and if you craft gear with alterations, always identify rings/amulets too.

gear identification in general is almost never worth it, but if you like it you can aim for some specific items to identify. i recommand you indentify good base rares that can be used in your build early on, then when your gear is good, target only a few types. personally i identify :

- high level gripped/spiked/silk gloves
- high level imperial/gemini claws
- high level spiraled/jewelled foils
- high level fossilised/titanium spirit shields
- stygian vise and jewels/ abyss jewels
- rings and amulets (even bad bases that can be corrupted)

basically everything that can be worth multiple exalts when nicely rolled and that don't take too mutch space in the inventory.

i made around 100 exalted with those, abyss jewels were the most profitable by a fairly large margin, got two nice 10+ex claws too, foils were a big waste of time, shields were not so great either, and ring/amulets were worth it.

siege axes and platinium kriss can be identified too, but i've never had luck with those and siege axe are too big for my liking.

i filtered out almost everything else (except maps/currency and good recipe items), and i identify less type of items every leagues.
Last edited by Zboublemeteor on Jan 22, 2018, 7:37:03 AM
"
Zboublemeteor wrote:
chaos recipe is never worth it, you should identify rings/amulets, some can be worth a lot. regal recipe is not worth it either, but can be done if you enjoy a not so efficient style of gameplay and if you craft gear with alterations, always identify rings/amulets too.

gear identification in general is almost never worth it, but if you like it you can aim for some specific items to identify. i recommand you indentify good base rares that can be used in your build early on, then when your gear is good, target only a few types. personally i identify :

- high level gripped/spiked/silk gloves
- high level imperial/gemini claws
- high level spiraled/jewelled foils
- high level fossilised/titanium spirit shields
- stygian vise and jewels/ abyss jewels
- rings and amulets (even bad bases that can be corrupted)

basically everything that can be worth multiple exalts when nicely rolled and that don't take too mutch space in the inventory.

i made around 100 exalted with those, abyss jewels were the most profitable by a fairly large margin, got two nice 10+ex claws too, foils were a big waste of time, shields were not so great either, and ring/amulets were worth it.

siege axes and platinium kriss can be identified too, but i've never had luck with those and siege axe are too big for my liking.

i filtered out almost everything else (except maps/currency and good recipe items), and i identify less type of items every leagues.

wow thanks a lot. that's really useful. I'll keep those in mind...
Nah, you don't actually have to keep in mind anything of what you've read in this thread.
Just use the different opinions to find out what suits you best and your "mistakes", according to your own personal play style.
What's good for one could be bad for another.

This guy is obviously a high level speed farmer with strict interest in fat drops and profit by high tier items.
It's also an approach, one of the many.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jan 22, 2018, 7:49:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info