▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀
Coolness!
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
-MickeyDankMouse-
"
whigs wrote:
"9 Gems" I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have released 10. Thanks GGG for not delivering what you promise.

They said they were working on 10. They were. One didn’t pan out. It happens.

This kind of post is why game developers don’t communicate with players more...
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
whigs wrote:
"9 Gems" I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have released 10. Thanks GGG for not delivering what you promise.

Don't be a tit. The tenth gem was pulled for rework, they said this. They thought it would be ready but it was not. We'll get it when it's done.

Elsewise, cool to see some thought behind the process. Always a fun sort of read.
Waiting for a patch that has more ice skills than fire skills since 2k12.

Spoiler
"
Fire

One of the early doubts during discussions with other developers was the plan for everything to deal Fire damage. Originally, Unearth was also planned as a fire skill.

We have a few skill sets that have a diverse set of elements, like traps and elemental attacks. These do have the advantage of naturally creating a more diverse variety of builds within the skill set but often restrict players and their choices when the passive tree or item choices they take end up restricting their benefits to only one of the skills in the skill set. For example, building Lightning Trap could mean taking bonuses to Projectile effects and Lightning Damage, making it a painful process if the player later wants to try out Ice Trap.

This is something I've been curious for a while. Fire seems to be for some reason a special element in PoE, in that there are many unique fire-based skills which have no or very few counterparts for other elements.

All the corpse-based skills are fire.
All the channeling elemental skills (before 3.1 added Lightning Tendrils) are fire.
All the damage over time skills are fire or chaos.
All active totem skills are fire (Flame Totem, Searing Bond) or physical.
Righteous Fire does not really have any other equivalent.
Ignite Proliferation.
Added Fire Damage and Herald of Ash work differently than Added Cold/Lightning and Herald of Ice/Thunder.
Avatar of Fire is a thing, but there is no global conversion to any other element. (Yes I am aware that this is constrained by the conversion order.)

Meanwhile it seems that almost every cold/lightning skill has another skill that is very similar to it, of other elements.

Ice Shot / Lightning Arrow / Explosive Arrow.
Frost Blades / Lightning Strike / Molten Strike.
Ice Trap / Lightning Trap / Fire Trap.
Hypothermia / Innervate / Immolate.
All the Purities / Golems / Curses come in all three elemental variants.

The only skill that really stands out as being Cold-specific with no other equivalent is Frost Wall.

Is this a design decision? If so, what are the reasons behind it? I would like to see more Cold and Lightning skills which are unique on their own, not just "reskin of skill X dealing Cold damage instead".
"

The Failed Prototype

We had also prototyped a skill codenamed "Infernal Sweep" which was a fiery area of effect sweep attack that exploded nearby corpses. Early testing showed it felt bad to use, having to swing twice to first kill some enemies then again to detonate their bodies for larger area damage. The skill was visually spectacular, but didn't play well unless it was boosted in both starting area and damage to the point where it both invalidated the roles of Sweep and Infernal Blow. This skill went back to the drawing board and we'll likely see it again in future with additional mechanics or without the reliance on corpses.

Have it drop flaming meteors on the first swing, which then animate into fun-size cinder elementals. After 10s, they explode.
Diggin some of the new skill effects and the increase of build diversity! Keep up the good work
Where is our throwing shield! ;)
Loved new gems though btw
"
Don't be a tit. The tenth gem was pulled for rework, they said this. They thought it would be ready but it was not. We'll get it when it's done.

Where did they announce this? If it was some offhand comment on some thread I don't consider that adequate for informing your player-base. This is especially true bc they announced 10 skill gems would be coming out this expansion.

If it wasn't ready yet they should not have put it on their splash page. I have been playing this game for a long time, GGG is still one of the best game companies out there but the cracks are starting to show. Not delivering on promised gems, delayed desperately needed reworks of essential skills/ascendancies and no longer offering discounts on mystery box pieces when they cycle back into the store.

I love this company and this game, I'm just worried about what the future will hold.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info