Don't play unless you want to lose your GPU!

"
"
atrofear wrote:
Some people are truly amazing when it comes to logical thinking. Your GPU is supposed to work at 100%, that's how you know you get what you paid for. It's made to be able to run at 100% load and NOT overheat for YEARS, many years.

That's not actually true. Rarely is anything meant to be used at full bore. Typical usage does not consist of 100%, 24/7/365. That is not considered normal usage by any manufacturer when it comes to variable products (vacuums are on and off as are light bulbs but cars and computers can have mixed usage where they see a lot of trickle use).

Processors, be it graphics or general purpose ones, are indeed meant to run under full load for extended periods of time. For example, datacenters and servers around the world do this all the time, 24/7, from NVIDIA Tesla to Intel Xeon to AMD EPYC. Regular consumer processors are able to do the same, provided their specific parent systems are up to the task of keeping them cool. Most consumer video cards are usually targeting specific ranges that are below 100% utilization all the time, but nonetheless the processors can still handle 100% load for hours on end. I'm not sure where you got your opinion about them not being able to handle 100% load during gaming, but that's wrong.

Granted, running 100% load for extended periods of time might be stressing the cooling capabilities of some pre-built or custom-built computers. Even then, internal throttling when a processing core nears its thermal limit kicks in to protect itself. So you can't "overheat" processors these days unless you override those safety features, or if those safety features are failing.

On that note, my old GTX 680 would reach 100% frequently when gaming for years without issues. Now my GTX 1080 never hits 100% when playing PoE and other games.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info