Don't play unless you want to lose your GPU!

What's so bad about your GPU being at 55C?
Weird, i usually play POE on max settings and never had any problem, i use a gtx 1070 with 8350 fx processor

I have a lot of coolers and stuff to keep my PC cold, or it would melt with any game
Last edited by Dravward on Dec 10, 2017, 3:01:21 PM
Dude I use a gtx 680 and Im fine on high settings. Whatever happened to your gpu is certainly not just ggg's fault.
Doesn't look like anything at all happened to his GPU. He's overreacting to 55c when 110c wouldn't fry his card.
"

I have just lost my GTX 970 Palit due to their "optimalisation" of the game, went to the store, picked up GTX 1060 tested it with GPU-z with LOWEST settings in game, 60% load sitting in town, while mapping it's constant 90% (ON A GODDAMN GTX 1060)

First off: no, no you didn't. You lost your GTX 970 because it broke, for whatever reason. Hardware failures do happen. They pretty much never break due to software, as you seem to imply. That's just not possible. Sure you can overclock too much and feed it too much voltage and stuff like that, but that's not software - that'd be you setting the wrong parameters for the GPU and thereby harming it. Games and any other apps that uses the GPU as it is intended have no way to cause these types of problems.

Secondly, your 1060 according to the picture you posted is just chilling. Looks pretty much idle to me, and there's nothing to worry about at all with those numbers.

Of course it's going to ramp up when you push it, like when mapping and such. 90-100% usage is normal and you should expect to see that in every game that isn't limited by your CPU. This is what you're paying for essentially. The GPU does everything it can to keep itself 100% busy, in order to produce as many frames per second as possible for your viewing pleasure. Working as intended.

As long as your GPU doesn't run at temperatures above around 85C, there's no cause for concern. Most GPUs today will begin to throttle or ramp up fans aggressively as you go above 80-85C so it should sort itself out most of the time.
GTX 980 39c under load watercooled

2600K @ 4.7ghz 37c also watercoooled
Git R Dun!
Your card failing had nothing to do with POE or any other software. I have a separate pc running folding @ home 24/7 for weeks on end with the CPU and GPU running at 100% load the entire time.

Modern hardware is designed to run at 100% load, should the temperature reach a preset threshold the bios will throttle back the clock speed if the fan running at 100% load is not able to keep it below the trigger temp.

It is up to the owner to ensure they regularly clean inside the case including all fans and any air filters if they are present, check fluid levels where water cooling is used, and to situate the pc in a position with adequate ventilation and sufficient case fans to vent heat.

However, even with regular maintenance components will occasionally fail; when a GPU fails it is typically due to a complete failure of the heatsink fan\fans causing the heat to spike, and damage is done before the hardware can throttle back the clock speed.
Regards Hexcaliber
Last edited by Hexcaliber on Dec 10, 2017, 10:15:33 PM
I am on my third PC in 5 years.
Hardware wears out.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

What the actual fuck - does the watercooler on the GPU make that much of a difference? do you have play at 1080p?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

What the actual fuck - does the watercooler on the GPU make that much of a difference? do you have play at 1080p?

When water cooling, provided you use an adequate pump and radiator the temp should rarely exceed the ambient temp; temps around 20c-30c are typical.
Regards Hexcaliber
Last edited by Hexcaliber on Dec 10, 2017, 10:20:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info