6-socket Orb of Fusing Community Log (done)

The 20% quality on items seems to give a rather extreme boost to fusing items. I fused three 5Link chests yesterday (two astrals and a zodiac) for a total of 6 jewellers and 9 fusings.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There is no bias simply because people stop. All trials are independent.

The real problem people are having here is that they assume that "links" are independent... they're not. They've simply assigned arbitrary probabilities to the various outcomes. They don't decided links one at a time. It's simply not predictable theoretically. You have to look at the data.

There is bias because not everyone post only when they achieved their target since some don't. Even then, it would bias the results because some people might never reach it and might never post their data. Every time someone post data based on their data, it will bias the results.
"
HellGauss wrote:
"
There is no bias simply because people stop. All trials are independent.

I agree. But there is a little bias due to the fact that maybe people are not posting results until they get a 6L, ore maybe there are some correlation between the number of trials to get 6L an the fact that player are reading and posting in this thread.

"

The real problem people are having here is that they assume that "links" are independent... they're not. They've simply assigned arbitrary probabilities to the various outcomes. They don't decided links one at a time. It's simply not predictable theoretically. You have to look at the data.

I disagree. I remark again that

1) In this thread we have info only on the three complementary events 6L ; 5L ; <5L. If we suppose that the prob of each of the 5 links are independent and equal to p=1/4, we get

a) P(6L)=1/1024=0.098 %
b) P(6L or 5L)=7/1024=0.684 %

which is in EXCELLENT agreement with final data available for pre 0.11, and i suppose that these prob are unchanged in 0.11 if we set Q=0%.

All we need to do is collect dat for various Q% and answer the question : "It is convenient to spend AS/BSW to increment the chances to get 5/6L?".

I think we should discuss of a new standard to collect data. I propose, for a report something like:

Item: ES-Chest
Tests:
10-1001X
10-1100X
05-0001X
05-0010X
-etc....

The example is for a 5S chest

First two characters is Q%, next five characters are links (On=1, off=0) in the order: Up, right, middle, left, bottom. The X is because a 5S has no bottom link. X are always at the end. ( A report for a Q=8% 3S shield is like 08-01XXX).

If POE community is in agreement, i will start a new thread ONLY to collect data (discussion can be continued here).

HG

Did you read my post? If your theory about 1/4 probablility of getting a link for each of the 5 links was true, then we would get 0 links on a 6S item 23,7% of the time, which we definately don't.
Last edited by Endrju82 on Jun 13, 2013, 6:34:35 AM

This chest only took 2 orbs of fusing. Wanted at least 5 link but after second try it got 6 almost used another orb of fusing as I didn't expect it to happen that fast.

also got a bow with I already burned 400 fusing on

4 or less link 399
5 link 1
6 link 0

currently thinking of keeping it at 5 link
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
"

Did you read my post? If your theory about 1/4 probablility of getting a link for each of the 5 links was true, then we would get 0 links on a 6S item 23,7% of the time, which we definately don't.

Sorry, i was missing that post, you are right about 23.7% = 0.75^5. However to make you're conclusion you need data not available in this thread, which is the main criticism I made to the way data are being collected.

And, nevertheless, the calculated probability of 0.1% and 0.68% for 5L and 6L are right, so there is 'something' true in the theory.

I will start a new thread (only to collect data) once I get some more AS: I have a 4L-6S chest which i want to transform to a 5-6L, but i cannot risk to result in a downgrade (of course i neither have an eternal orb :) ).
Roma timezone (Italy)
"
HellGauss wrote:
"

Sorry, i was missing that post, you are right about 23.7% = 0.75^5. However to make you're conclusion you need data not available in this thread, which is the main criticism I made to the way data are being collected.

And, nevertheless, the calculated probability of 0.1% and 0.68% for 5L and 6L are right, so there is 'something' true in the theory.

I will start a new thread (only to collect data) once I get some more AS: I have a 4L-6S chest which i want to transform to a 5-6L, but i cannot risk to result in a downgrade (of course i neither have an eternal orb :) ).

Some people have posted how many 0L they got, not sure if it was in this thread. You can ask anyone who has spend 100s of fusings and he will tell that the probability of getting 0L is MUCH lower than 23,7%. Which is proof enough that your theory is wrong. Why search for some new theory when we KNOW from the devs how the rolling of links works? You are only confusing people, not helping.
Last edited by Endrju82 on Jun 13, 2013, 9:35:35 AM
"

we KNOW from the devs how the rolling of links works

I actually miss the description of how fusing work, please provide a link. So, if we do know, why we are doing statistics on fusing instead of calculations?

For example it would be interesting to know if the upper 5L has more probability than the lower 5L. And it would be interesting to know why my calcuations for 5-6L agree with results.

The main thing I want to point out is that we need to collect more info from experiments, expecally after 0.11 patch. At moment we are collecting only three kind of results (the most rare...): 6L, 5L or <5L. For a 6S we have instead 32 different possibe results. Let's collect data about all of them.
Roma timezone (Italy)
143 Fusings

67 with 20% Quality

4L - 4

5L - 0

6L - 0

Itemlevel 64
Sometimes making an offer is better than asking for a price.
"
HellGauss wrote:
Regarding 5L, you are counting 5+1, but also 4+2 and 3+3. You have to multiply by 2, not by 5 (the missing link must be either the first or the last). This is one of the reason for which i say that we need also other data.

Ah, good point. I definitely support more complete data, it will help determine what process is being used, require much fewer trials, and maybe even cut down on recorder bias.

Some questions that may shed light on things:

* Suppose you keep using Jeweller's on an item. Can the link pattern change when sockets are removed and re-added? In other words, do stable "phantom" links exist between non-existing but potential sockets, or are they rerolled when sockets are added?
* Are all link slots equally likely?
* What are likely processes that GGG would create? I don't think GGG would make the process complex for complexity's sake. Off the top of my head I can think of the following, from simplest to most complex:
1) "Independent": All link slots are determined independently with the same probability.
2) "Two-Stage": The number of link bars is determined first, and then they are assigned uniformly randomly to slots. Overlaps may be rerolled, or they may result in the loss of that link bar.
3) "Incremental": The presence of each link bar is determined one-by-one, with probability determined by previous decisions.
In fact, we might not even need Fusings to get good data at all--one could get a fresh level-up and write down the link patterns of the items in every vendor's inventory. This would allow us to get good data even from people without dozens or thousands of Fusings, and even a single person working alone might be able to figure the pattern out.
Last edited by Evil4Zerggin on Jun 13, 2013, 1:32:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info