When you come back to Off Topic after months away and every poster you recognize is on probation.

"
j33bus wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Wait, we’re the first two any good? They looked mildly intriguing, but I passed them up (presumably to watch something Marvel) and then forgot about them.

Bloody amazing really. Practical effects out the wazoo.

John Wick is the perfect action movie, there's about 5 minutes of buildup of why we're doing violence for the rest of the movie, followed by violence for the rest of the movie, and they even managed to sneak in some interesting world lore while they're at it.

You have my attention. Much the same as why I love kaiju flicks—a little bit of exposition, big shit making a mess of things, and some plot here and there to keep the wanton destruction coherent and relevant.

Thank you, Charan and Jeebus, John Wick is now at the top of my list for rentals, displacing Baby Driver and Wonder Woman to third and forth picks. Will have to see if I can convince the wife to fit the first one into our show line up this weekend.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Dec 1, 2017, 12:02:47 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Christ I cannot wait for John Wick 3.

Wait, we’re the first two any good? They looked mildly intriguing, but I passed them up (presumably to watch something Marvel) and then forgot about them.

Bloody amazing really. Practical effects out the wazoo.

Nice ive been looking for something to check out anyway. Movies are just not what they used to be. The past probably 10 years ive maybe seen 4 or 5 movies i actually could see all the way through unlike growing up and having litteraly thousands of movies my mom and dad used to record and keep cataloged at the house. I could get lost for days watching movies back in the day.. Guess thats why movies today just dont do it for me. Its hard to find good original ideas when so many have already been done so many times in so many ways.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
I totally forgot about Atomic Blonde! I really wanted to watch that in theatres, but we didn’t have a viable babysitting solution for a two year old at the time (and I’m not interested in going to the theatres without my wife).

I checked out Baby Driver last night. Redbox didn’t have the first John Wick or Atomic Blonde. We’re discussing adding dvds to our Netflix subscription, but I might just buy one of them before then.

Baby Driver wasn’t as good as I had hoped. It was fine, but failed to deliver the satisfaction I was anticipating from either of the other two. For a movie whose sole direction was to be set in rhythm to its sound track, it began to develop an odd syncopation towards its climax, which made it feel like it was beginning to drag on before concluding suddenly. Everything leading up to then, was fantastic.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
For some reason I remembered you saying del Toro, not Wright, causing a whole lot of cognitive dissonance. That was weird.

I finally got John Wick. Had to buy it, because none of my usual subs carry it (and I haven’t tried digital rentals yet). Everybody is right about everything they said. I admire the occasional movie that knows what it is and doesn’t try to be anything else. I also really appreciate you mentioning the world lore, as I probably would have taken it for granted otherwise. I’d love it if other movies would tie in (think Expendables) without blatantly mentioning Wick—The Continental, or it’s business model, is a perfect target to canonize as cross-setting action trope.

The cover says “Reeves’ best movie since The Matrix.” More like, since Bill and Ted; I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that John Wick was a better movie. If only because Matrix’s revolutionary tech is outdated, and Wick matches pace everywhere else. Wick is certainly less culturally relevant, but it’s plot and progression were top notch, and the gun play was perfect. I’m always annoyed when actors walk around with arms straight and elbows locked. Scene after scene of Reeves keeping his shoulders square and aiming from the waist, executing what looked like perfect professional efficiency. Two in the chest, one in the head, every single time—even when momentarily interrupted, he always goes back for that third shot. I couldn’t get enough.
Devolving Wilds
Land

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info