ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

>woman passes out in public and gets chucked into a van like a side of beef

"g-guys it's inapproriate to discuss her health i mean come on that she's sick is a vast right-wing conspiracy"

>man passes his medical exam with flying flags

"t-the cognitive test is way too easy and i don't believe he only weighs 239 pounds. impeach!"
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
faerwin wrote:
"
JNF wrote:
Doctor Declares Trump’s Health Excellent, With Perfect Score on Cognitive Test

Spoiler

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/politics/trump-health-exam-doctor-cognitive-test.html

So much for that 'mentally unfit' rhetoric...

Fake exam result

Must’ve been those pesky Russian plants.

Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
MBata wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
-snip-

And your own link about mormons proved that they force tithing. What does it matter if your neighbor is not aware of what her church teaches?

She is more aware than you are.

I can't prove a negative. I have supplied you with an example of scripture that clearly states that forcing tithing is against doctrine. I have spoken with people who are active in LDS and have said that tithing is not forced.

What evidence do you present other than speculation?

Your weblink proved mormons force tithing. The mormons ban you from the mormon temple if you don't tithe. What more evidence do you need? Just because a few of your neighbors dont know what their church teaches does not mean anything.

There are over 30,000 protestant denominations, obviously it is impossible to know how many force tithing, I get that. You are the one who keeps saying it is less then 1%, I would like to see your proof?

I said "some protestants" and "a few protestants". that is reasonable in the face if the unknown 30,000 protestant denominations. You keep saying it is less than 1%. That is not "proving a negative" you are using are hard statistic. If you are going to make a definitive statement using a hard number, then show proof. Where did you get this "less than 1%" statistic?

I am using vague terms, "some and a few" on purpose, because it is not possible to know how many of the 30,000 plus protestant denominations force tithing.

Just admit you have no idea already, because there is no study of any theological topic on all 30,000 protestant denominations; let alone tithing.
Last edited by Kamchatka on Jan 17, 2018, 7:22:28 AM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I already posted why it is irrelevant whether religious organizations mandate tithing. All I got in response was some stupid shit about tossing people in the ocean (I think it was a joke? but just came across as misinformed about... everything).

Spoiler
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
You're not following me; mormons (and some protestants) don't 'strongly recommend', they force you to tithe, or you're kicked out.

Forced charity is not actually charity, it is the same as forced govt charity.

There is a distinction you’re missing. Both organizations state up front, this is what we expect from you; however, one organization you are free to negotiate with, while the other will steal your real and personal property under threat of injury or imprisonment if you do not comply.

My understanding, living in an area with a large Mormon population, is that religious tithes are not strictly interpreted as monetary contributions, but rather time or money. Here’s the interesting bit, however, most Mormons (that I know) do both, above what is asked of them; they are all, every single one of them, beneficiaries of a stable and self sufficient lifestyle that grants them plenty of excess. The reason? Because the church is very efficient at helping its members get back on their feet when they are down, and the resulting stability in the family structure is very efficient at supporting their elderly once they’ve aged beyond their ability to contribute.

Why are we still having this conversation? Do you have any evidence that a significant portion of religious organizations coerce charitable donations under threat of punishment, or is this like one town of inbred failures in bumfuck nowhere is proof of systemic racism? What is your point?

You must not have been following my posts. or you didnt understand them, im sorry if i have not been clear.

I never said "a significant portion of religious organizations coerce charitable donations"
You are putting words in my mouth.

I said mormons do, which is a fact. I also said some protestants do, but i readily admit i have no idea how many of the 30,000 plus protestant denominations force tithing.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:

Fake exam result

Must’ve been those pesky Russian plants.

"
Xavderion wrote:
>woman passes out in public and gets chucked into a van like a side of beef

"g-guys it's inapproriate to discuss her health i mean come on that she's sick is a vast right-wing conspiracy"

>man passes his medical exam with flying flags

"t-the cognitive test is way too easy and i don't believe he only weighs 239 pounds. impeach!"

Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on Jan 17, 2018, 12:45:42 PM
"
Kamchatka wrote:
You must not have been following my posts. or you didnt understand them, im sorry if i have not been clear.

I never said "a significant portion of religious organizations coerce charitable donations"

I said mormons do, which is a fact. I also said some protestants do, but i readily admit i have no idea how many of the 30,000 plus protestant denominations force tithing.

The Mormon temples are not the same thing as churches; they seem to be used for the governance of the religion and special/not in the ordinary ceremonies. Everything I have (briefly) read this morning suggests that the community does not expel members for not paying tithes, that the “10%” is loosely defined and up to the member to define and self report, and is viewed as a covenant made between the member and God, i.e., an agreement made by the member upon joining the church.

How does this translate to coercion? It’s a pretty hardcore commitment, but so are all of life’s important decisions. Everything seems to be fair and above the board to me; I would even, and did, go so far as to suggest that this practice lends stability to the church, which in part lends stability to its community.

I’ll admit I didn’t really pay attention to who posted what during the onset of this conversation, so I’m sorry you feel I am misrepresenting your argument. I also did not mean to say specifically “significant portion of,” but rather emphasize whether there is any significance to the claim (I get easily distracted, and am bad at proofing. Lost track of my own argument there, my bad). That is why I asked you to clarify your position ^-^ Let me restate mine—I don’t really care about arguing whether tithing is mandatory or voluntary, but rather, so what if it is?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough earlier with the Netflix thing.

Let's say I have an rollercoaster. If you want to ride on my rollercoaster, I say you need to pay me $5 to get on. This does not constitute me coercing $5 from you.

Now let's say I have a barrel of tart green apples. If you want an apple, I demand $1 in exchange. This does not constitute me coercing $1 from you, even though you must eat to survive: you could choose to eat elsewhere.

If the Mormons said you must pay 10% of your income or you cannot use their religious facilities, is that coercion?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 17, 2018, 1:54:38 PM
It is coercion if you were not told it from the start and they suddenly force it on you
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:

The Mormon temples are not the same thing as churches; they seem to be used for the governance of the religion and special/not in the ordinary ceremonies. Everything I have (briefly) read this morning suggests that the community does not expel members for not paying tithes, that the “10%” is loosely defined and up to the member to define and self report, and is viewed as a covenant made between the member and God, i.e., an agreement made by the member upon joining the church.

How does this translate to coercion? It’s a pretty hardcore commitment, but so are all of life’s important decisions. Everything seems to be fair and above the board to me; I would even, and did, go so far as to suggest that this practice lends stability to the church, which in part lends stability to its community.

I’ll admit I didn’t really pay attention to who posted what during the onset of this conversation, so I’m sorry you feel I am misrepresenting your argument. I also did not mean to say specifically “significant portion of,” but rather emphasize whether there is any significance to the claim (I get easily distracted, and am bad at proofing. Lost track of my own argument there, my bad). That is why I asked you to clarify your position ^-^ Let me restate mine—I don’t really care about arguing whether tithing is mandatory or voluntary, but rather, so what if it is?

It does Not matter to me personally. They can do whatever they want.

The original point the other guy made was that republicans are religious and Freely give to charity and oppose forced charity.

I'm just stating That not all tithing is voluntary and charitable. Some tithng by some religious groups is forced, not voluntary.

And obviously I understand you can quit going to that church, I know it is not forced on pain of death. But it is forced, by some religious groups, with punishment or banishment.

To summarize: my point is you cannot count all religious tithing as voluntary charity.

Last edited by Kamchatka on Jan 17, 2018, 2:32:40 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough earlier with the Netflix thing.

Let's say I have an rollercoaster. If you want to ride on my rollercoaster, I say you need to pay me $5 to get on. This does not constitute me coercing $5 from you.

Now let's say I have a barrel of tart green apples. If you want an apple, I demand $1 in exchange. This does not constitute me coercing $1 from you, even though you must eat to survive: you could choose to eat elsewhere.

If the Mormons said you must pay 10% of your income or you cannot use their religious facilities, is that coercion?

If the Mormons have taught you that access to the temple is Absolutely necessary for eternity(or whatever they teach), and you believe them, then yes, it is.

Even if you don't want to call it coerced, You certainly cannot call mormon tithing voluntary charity. You have to call it paying for access to the temple (whatever that means)

Again, I don't mean to attack any particular group. Mormons can do whatever they want, i dont have a problem with their practices any more than protestant practices. I'm just stating that not all tithing should be considered voluntary charity.
Last edited by Kamchatka on Jan 17, 2018, 2:53:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info