ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

Trump supporters defend the indefensible.

From the perspective of someone living abroad, it's like watching a newly discovered Amazon forest tribe, hitherto completely secluded from the outside world, whose diet exclusively consists of home-baked cow patty pies. It can't be explained rationally, and when someone tells them that eating doodoo is a bad idea that's harmful to themselves, they start hurling their "dough" at the critics.

As somebody else has already mentioned, this thread is a freak show. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that people might actually mean some of the things they're saying here.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
rojimboo wrote:
Since I'm awake, and entirely bored, I decided to share a story to @DalaiLama.

There was a guy once. On a dark and stormy night. Wait, nevermind, the sun was shining.

He was quite skeptical and suspicious of all things. When told the sky was blue, he researched and googled who had said so.

Change that to say "When told that the sky was orange during 2007-2008, and he knew from personal business experience, and lots of deep analysis conducted in the intermediate period afterwards, that this was not so."

Picture the year 2048, and reading on the internet that in 2016-2018 Trump was popular with everyone, and how much silicon valley, and celebrities loved him, and that the resistance marches were a myth. From your own personal experience in the present, what sort of "expert" would convince you?

Ummmm. I talked about this already. You might have missed my previous post (just before the cute little parable post).

Otherwise what you wrote makes less sense, and I am (yet again) confused.

It happens a lot.
"
rojimboo wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Trump's stance protects the American economy far better than some major spat over a single death would.

This reminds me of something.

Did you know that all 3 times the Republicans had complete control of government in the last 100 years, Senate, Congress and President, for over 4 years, it has resulted in the greatest financial collapses in the last 100 years?

1.The Panic of 1907…… Markets fell over 43% before bottoming out).....Complete GOP control from 1901 to 1913
2.The Great Depression, 1929..... fueled by the unsustainable laissez-faire (unregulated) polices of the roaring 20’s......Complete GOP control from 1921 to 1933
3.The Financial crisis of 2007-2008....Complete GOP control from 2001 to 2007

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the Great Depression, passed the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act. Which, raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government.

Did it work? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression.

Today they have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? The Laffer Curve. It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? 'Voodoo' economics.

http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/12/13/every-unified-republican-government-ever-has-led-to-a-financial-crash/

Wow, so regarding the financial crisis of 2007-2008, you are pretending Clinton's insane housing policies from the 90's had nothing to do with the collapse?

Clinton goes out and pushes all kinds of dumb housing policies to give people government backed mortgages they cannot afford, on a gamble that the house skyrockets in price, and they can leverage the equity to prevent bankruptcy. The banks are not interested, so Clinton sends out Janet Reno to make up fake charges of racism against banks, to force them to give out tons of garbage mortgages.

The banks give out loans based on credit score, and yearly salary, and extremist leftists falsely claimed this is racist. (they still make this false claim actually, which is why history will repeat itself when democrats take power again, There were similiar lawsuits against banks during Obama's presidency) Janet Reno exploited this stupidity to force banks to do Clinton's bidding and give out tons of screwball mortgages.

Yeah that had nothing to do with the housing collapse of 2007-2008. LOL

I do blame Bush though for going along with Clinton's idiot policies, cause he was afraid of being called racist by extremist leftists.

I think the Republicans learned an important lesson from this: extremist leftists call everyone who disagrees with them racist, sexist, bigoted ect no matter what, and good people cannot let the country fall into ruin because they are afraid of being called a racist by crazed leftists.
Last edited by Khoranth on Nov 23, 2018, 6:35:07 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:

Wow, so regarding the financial crisis of 2007-2008, you are pretending Clinton's insane housing policies from the 90's had nothing to do with the collapse?

Clinton goes out and pushes all kinds of dumb housing policies to give people government backed mortgages they cannot afford, on a gamble that the house skyrockets in price, and they can leverage the equity to prevent bankruptcy. The banks are not interested, so Clinton sends out Janet Reno to make up fake charges of racism against banks, to force them to give out tons of garbage mortgages.

Yeah that had nothing to do with the housing collapse of 2007-2008. LOL

I do blame Bush though for going along with Clinton's idiot policies, cause he was afraid of being called racist by extremist leftists.

Ok.

There still seems to be some confusion here.

I presented correlation. You guys started imposing the causality, which I really wanted to stay away from as I think that

1. Economics is a soft social imprecise science
2. The less I get to delve into the occult mysteries of said field, the better
3. People can spend entire lifetimes investigating exact causes of past financial crises, without actually learning anything to help with future ones.
4. I expressed some of my knowledge on the matter here before already

"
I would suggest considering why CDOs (collateralized debt obligations, derivatives) were allowed to be traded as financial instruments without holding very much collateral at all for security, then go to the Basel Agreement from there, the repeal of the Glass-Steagal act (that happened under Clinton, but was a GOP initiative passing in a GOP majority Senate and House) and the repeal of the net capital rule under Bush.

As per usual with financial crises, there is no one main cause for it, I think we can all agree on that. Nevertheless, a Dem controlled government during those times, as opposed to the laissez-faire policies of the GOP, would have prevented many of the underlying causes likely.

5. Correlation does not necessarily equal causality (if this is the only thing you read, let it be that then)

Final note: Absolutely nobody has mentioned tariffs after I brought it up.

Let me get this straight. You guys seem to have all the answers that Nobel Prize winners for economics don't, about the 2008 financial crisis, yet you defend protectionist tariffs by mr. orange?

Interesting.
"
rojimboo wrote:

Ok.

I presented correlation. You guys started imposing the causality, which I really wanted to stay away from as I think that

3. People can spend entire lifetimes investigating exact causes of past financial crises, without actually learning anything to help with future ones.

"
I would suggest considering why CDOs (collateralized debt obligations, derivatives) were allowed to be traded as financial instruments without holding very much collateral at all for security, then go to the Basel Agreement from there, the repeal of the Glass-Steagal act (that happened under Clinton, but was a GOP initiative passing in a GOP majority Senate and House) and the repeal of the net capital rule under Bush.

As per usual with financial crises, there is no one main cause for it, I think we can all agree on that. Nevertheless, a Dem controlled government during those times, as opposed to the laissez-faire policies of the GOP, would have prevented many of the underlying causes likely.

5. Correlation does not necessarily equal causality (if this is the only thing you read, let it be that then)

Let me get this straight. You guys seem to have all the answers that Nobel Prize winners for economics don't, about the 2008 financial crisis, yet you defend protectionist tariffs by mr. orange?

Interesting.

You do not need to be an economic genius to figure out that Clinton's insane housing policies played a role to the housing crisis.

There may be no one single cause of the 2008 housing financial collapse, but you have to be insane if you think the collapse would have been possible without the idiotic stuff Clinton did.

If we removed other factors, maybe the collapse is not as bad. If we removed the Clinton & Janet Reno factor, there is no housing collapse.

Edit: Tariffs are stupid, happy?

Last edited by Khoranth on Nov 23, 2018, 6:53:52 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:
"
rojimboo wrote:

Ok.

"

Interesting.

You do not need to be an economic genius to figure out that Clinton's insane housing policies played a role to the housing crisis.

There may be no one single cause of the 2008 housing financial collapse, but you have to be insane if you think the collapse would have been possible without the idiotic stuff Clinton did.

If we removed other factors, maybe the collapse is not as bad. If we removed the Clinton & Janet Reno factor, there is no housing collapse.

Edit: Tariffs are stupid, happy?

Can you please expand (for us inferior folk) what Clinton did in the 90s that affected the financial market in 2007?

You realise also that Clinton, especially later, was just a president and GOP had majority of both Senate and House?

Of course he could veto some things, but mostly he was signing bills into effect that Republicans managed to get through...reluctantly.

Incidentally.

Can you name an orange quack president, who got a bill that passed overwhelmingly in both House and Senate in a bi-partisan manner, and as the executive arm of the goverment, the president, did not sign it? Sparking some to call it a constitutional crisis, though apparently it's still not one (terminology differs)?

I'll give you a hint. He's orange. He quacks. Oh, and he really really likes bald men from Russia and would never impose harsh sanctions on his buddy.
I literally have discussed the insane stuff Clinton & Janet Reno did already, and you have refused to acknowledge or address it. You can go back and re-read my posts, if you honestly missed it.

Edit: are you suggesting the Republicans forced Janet Reno to go out and make up fake racist lawsuits against banks? LOL

Also, you are baiting the wrong person with the Trump bashing, if you have followed my posts in this thread or elsewhere, you'd know that. Ive generally stated many times I wish Ted Cruz was president, and not Trump.

If you wanna successfully troll me you'll have to start bashing Ted Cruz.
Ted Cruz is a hero among DC trash. He is the most morally upright, intelligent and honest politician in existence. USA would be a better place if he was supreme overlord.
Last edited by Khoranth on Nov 23, 2018, 7:21:05 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:
I literally have discussed the insane stuff Clinton & Janet Reno did already, and you have refused to acknowledge or address it. You can go back and re-read my posts, if you honestly missed it.

Edit: are you suggesting the Republicans forced Janet Reno to go out and make up fake racist lawsuits against banks? LOL

Also, you are baiting the wrong person with the Trump bashing, if you have followed my posts in this thread or elsewhere, you'd know that. Ive generally stated many times I wish Ted Cruz was president, and not Trump.

If you wanna successfully troll me you'll have to start bashing Ted Cruz

Ah k, I got it now, my bad. I missed it at first skim.

Ok, so I hate Wikipedia, but I hate economics peer reviewed science even more.

So wikipedia it is.

It's actually quite comprehensive already, I'm a little impressed.

"
Background causes
Many causes for the financial crisis have been suggested, with varying weight assigned by experts.[33]

The US Senate's Levin–Coburn Report concluded that the crisis was the result of "high risk, complex financial products; undisclosed conflicts of interest; the failure of regulators, the credit rating agencies, and the market itself to rein in the excesses of Wall Street."[34]
The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission concluded that the financial crisis was avoidable and was caused by "widespread failures in financial regulation and supervision", "dramatic failures of corporate governance and risk management at many systemically important financial institutions", "a combination of excessive borrowing, risky investments, and lack of transparency" by financial institutions, ill preparation and inconsistent action by government that "added to the uncertainty and panic", a "systemic breakdown in accountability and ethics", "collapsing mortgage-lending standards and the mortgage securitization pipeline", deregulation of over-the-counter derivatives, especially credit default swaps, and "the failures of credit rating agencies" to correctly price risk.[35]
The 1999 repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act effectively removed the separation between investment banks and depository banks in the United States.[36]
Critics argued that credit rating agencies[37][38] and investors failed to accurately price the risk involved with mortgage-related financial products, and that governments did not adjust their regulatory practices to address 21st-century financial markets.[39]
Research into the causes of the financial crisis has also focused on the role of interest rate spreads.[40]
Fair value accounting was issued as US accounting standard SFAS 157 in 2006 by the privately run Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)—delegated by the SEC with the task of establishing financial reporting standards.[41] This required that tradable assets such as mortgage securities be valued according to their current market value rather than their historic cost or some future expected value. When the market for such securities became volatile and collapsed, the resulting loss of value had a major financial effect upon the institutions holding them even if they had no immediate plans to sell them.[42]

Where do Clinton and Reno come in?

Is it the repeal of the Glass-Steagal act?

If not, then source and identify your main cause for the financial crisis.

By the way, why did it take so long for the housing bubble to burst?

I mean Clinton was gone January 2001, and even before that he was bullied by a GOP controlled House and Senate, nevermind when GOP took full control in 2001.

What is the excuse for Bush and GOP, not to have done something about these things that evil horny Billie boy did in the 90s?
I Actually answered your questions in my previous posts. Apparently you are not reading them in full.

You are clearly only here to troll.

Seriously, if you honestly want to do anything besides troll, the answers to your questions are in my posts the last few pages.
Last edited by Khoranth on Nov 23, 2018, 7:24:25 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:
I Actually answered your questions in my previous posts. Apparently you are not reading them in full.

You are clearly only here to troll.

Seriously, if you honestly want to do anything besides troll, the answers to your questions are in my posts the last few pages.

Um. Hm.

Ok then.

That was rude and unexpected.

Anyhoo, it seems there is no mention of this by any of the experts in the field, which by the way includes a Nobel price winner in econ, Stiglitz. I'm sure Wikipedia is not the most comprehensive source by far, but I was hoping you would, you know, reveal your sources, something, expand on stuff.

And you didn't answer my questions in the least, by the way.

Am I to ordain through telepathy that almighty Reno called Senate and the House and the president racist if they repealed these sub-prime mortgages?

Or is it in fact so instead, that the housing bubble gained momentum and actually peaked in 2007, fueled by more de-regulation and horrific laissez-faire GOP policies?

Can anyone point me to a period in semi-modern US history, when GOP economic policies resulted in something 'good', a surplus, massive growth, economic prosperity and technological advancement etc etc by any criteria?

Because I'm starting to become a believer, in the old saying. "Republican economic policies are awful."

What's your deficit running at now? In the orange...I mean...in the red?
Last edited by rojimboo on Nov 23, 2018, 7:34:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info