ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

2. for every Sargon there are thousands of fans who align with him politically on some level but who would be much, much weaker opponents than him in a debate, not merely because they're less intelligent but because (due to varying intelligence or not) they believe in fucked up, indefensible ideas. In other words, if Sargon is this "literalist" thought-leader, then his views represent an opposite yet equal equivalent to the strawman fallacy, such that his views are portrayed in a much more favorable light than the "liberalist" mean — something that became all too apparent when Sargon invited his followers to share their ideas in a now-defunct Literalist intellectual community.

These problems are inherent to any collectivist interpretation of political ideology. "Your" side will always be packed with idiots who hold strawman versions of your views, and the "enemy" side will (almost) always possess critical thinkers with robust defenses against your arguments that you'd rather ignore by picking on real but weaker opponents within that group. This is why a non-collectivist approach is essential, debating individuals rather than groups.

Especially what you are saying of -how should I describe it- one's supporters' tendency to make wrong metaphors of one's sayings rings painfully true to me. Time spent on small national discussion forums taught me that it is important to consider oneself an outsider during a general agreement with those who seem to support your view at the moment. Not because they might soon abandon their unanimous support, but because this act itself will inevitably play into a larger group dynamic denying individual thinking. For certain personalities it's actually important to not want any followers or supporters. Clearly, trying to make such premise hold in politics is quite hard to make work, thus narrowing down intellect in public life. I honestly think one has to teach himself into such mode of thinking. Personally I believe it requires quite elaborate self-reflection and mental balance. Needless to say, such premises do not hold regarding masses. What we mean by 'thinking' itself is not just what our species is capable of as a species, but how individuals do it in terms of variance. It means well-thought-out ideas for one will remain inexplicable gibberish to others. See my earlier notes on communication and language.

Of course I am exaggerating to make a point -in mundane situations people are apt enough to understand what they are talking to each other about, or at least able to socialize it out of their way when difficulties arise. But when it boils down to trying to give out a more intricate explanation of a complicated subject, if only to create intellectually sound debate, suddenly attention span gets too short. Our tragedy as a species is therefore two-fold. Humans as a race are not only incapable to overcome their shortcomings in character, but to this day we as humans didn't take darwinian thought of mankind seriously enough to draw more than caricatures of our fellow animal, man included. That's why there must prevail a tyranny of man in this world, give or take. For example, we westerners would like to believe it was democracy which have made their countries so much easier places to live in, whereas it was rather economic-technical conditions, which for their internal reasons are outside the scope of political squabbles. I for one believe our national bureaucrats are more able than almost any elected political leaders. Bureaucrat role is in many cases mitigate damage which 'energetic renewers' are threatening to periodically cause. So, in this sense, I sort of understand Trump followers. In other senses I do not.

Like, seriously, post-truth was supposed to be about leftist french postmodernist delusion, too bad others very opposed to postmodernists' other ideals seem to have adopted their stance on truth too. It's not even about being false anymore, it's more about breaking any meaning of true and false.
Last edited by vmt80 on Aug 27, 2018, 2:13:56 AM
I didn't realize John McCain's staff was intimately involved in the IRS scandal, where they used the tax agency illegally to target and stifle conservative Tea Party groups:

"John McCain’s former staff director and chief counsel on the Senate Homeland Security Permanent Subcommittee, Henry Kerner, urged top IRS officials, including then-director of exempt organizations Lois Lerner, to “audit so many that it becomes financially ruinous.”

https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/weekly-updates/weekly-update-jw-sues-on-behalf-of-pentagon-whistleblower-over-spygate-figure-and-clinton-crony/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuitAruUucY&feature=youtu.be
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
What's funny about the McCain situation is all the liberals praising him as a hero, and a politician who worked well with the other side. In 2008 all these same liberals were portraying him as some evil, demonic herald of the end times, warning that if he was elected President the world was going to end.

The liberals were so hateful and viscous towards McCain in 2008, but now he is a great, bipartisan guy. What a joke. Talk about grave dancing, they should just keep their mouths shut.
Last edited by Khoranth on Aug 28, 2018, 6:56:05 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:
The liberals were so hateful and viscous towards McCain in 2008, but now he is a great, bipartisan guy. What a joke. Talk about grave dancing, they should just keep their mouths shut.

No, it is Trump supporters who should STFU.

McCain by the way expressed his will that president Trump was not welcome to his funeral. No wonder.
Last edited by vmt80 on Aug 28, 2018, 8:05:41 AM
"
vmt80 wrote:
"
Khoranth wrote:

McCain by the way expressed his will that president Trump was not welcome to his funeral. No wonder.

Are you old enough to remember 2008 US presidential election? It was insane how viscous the liberal media was to McCain. They painted him as an oil baron loving demon, who would herald the end times with WW3.

I would agree Trump shouldn't be praising McCain either, but acting like he is the first person to savage McCain is a joke.

Either you are really you are really young, or have an extremely selective memory.
"
Khoranth wrote:
"
vmt80 wrote:
"
Khoranth wrote:

Are you old enough to remember 2008 US presidential election? It was insane how viscous the liberal media was to McCain. They painted him as an oil baron loving demon, who would herald the end times with WW3.

I would agree Trump shouldn't be praising McCain either, but acting like he is the first person to savage McCain is a joke.

Either you are really you are really young, or have an extremely selective memory.

So in your way of thinking anyone that ever disagreed with John McCain is not allowed to respect his service to country in death? Sorry, but that is wrong headed thinking, IMHO. It just doesn't work that way, thank goodness.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:

So in your way of thinking anyone that ever disagreed with John McCain is not allowed to respect his service to country in death? Sorry, but that is wrong headed thinking, IMHO. It just doesn't work that way, thank goodness.

No, I did not say that at all. Wow, seriously, did you even read my posts?

People who savaged McCain and attempted to destroy his character should keep their mouths shut. I did not say anything about whether or not they disagreed on policy.
Last edited by Khoranth on Aug 28, 2018, 10:03:00 AM
"
Khoranth wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:

No, I did not say that at all. Wow, seriously, did you even read my posts?

People who savaged McCain and attempted to destroy his character should keep their mouths shut. I did not say anything about whether or not they disagreed on policy.

Okay, I sometimes disagreed with John McCain, even so, I'm allowed to voice my respect for his service to country. Thank you.

But, if I was a journalist that wrote an article about John McCain back in 2008 then I'm not allowed to voice my respect for his service to country?

Or, are you just making up a bogey man that that supposedly "painted him as an oil baron loving demon, who would herald the end times with WW3". And that bogey man is not allowed to now voice his respect for John McCain's service to country? Let's not even go there. Let's grant that this bogey man that wrote all those terrible articles back in 2008 that besmirched John McCain does in fact exist. Now, why the heck can't this bogey man now voice his respect for John McCain's great service to country now in his death? Let's go there.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:

It isn't so much that some people are saying nice things about McCain after his death. This is normal and expected. It is that people who saw EVERYTHING McCain did as evil incarnate (when he was running for President and shortly after) and then suddenly fell in love with McCain as soon as he started opposing Trump.

They did the same thing with George Bush. Hate, hate, hate, hate - oh he's opposed to Trump?, we LOVE him NOW.

It has nothing to do with political positions or policies. If it did, there wouldn't be so many people raging against Trump for saying and doing some of the very same things the 4 presidents before him did.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Turtledove wrote:

Okay, I sometimes disagreed with John McCain, even so, I'm allowed to voice my respect for his service to country. Thank you.

But, if I was a journalist that wrote an article about John McCain back in 2008 then I'm not allowed to voice my respect for his service to country?

Or, are you just making up a bogey man that that supposedly "painted him as an oil baron loving demon, who would herald the end times with WW3". And that bogey man is not allowed to now voice his respect for John McCain's service to country? Let's not even go there. Let's grant that this bogey man that wrote all those terrible articles back in 2008 that besmirched John McCain does in fact exist. Now, why the heck can't this bogey man now voice his respect for John McCain's great service to country now in his death? Let's go there.

If you were a public figure, and journalist tried to cash in by painting you as the herald of satan while you ran for public office, would you want them, to then try to cash in doing nice stories about you after your death?

Clearly the journalist could care less about you, if they savagely try to destroy your character while you were alive.(and running for President, in McCain's case)

For me the answer is NO, id prefer them to keep their mouths shut, maybe your answer is Yes, that is fine, we simply disagree.

And the fact that you are suggesting it was a bogeyman from 2008 tells me, and anyone else who followed the 2008 election, you definitely werent following US politics then.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info