ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
"
OK so the argument against is that you're risking making the census less accurate. What is the argument in favor? Also, I thought the citizen question was already on one of the census forms, so why change it?
Nope because you don't really need it to do a head count.

"US Commerce Department stated that they made this decision after the Department of Justice requested inclusion of the question "to better enforce the Voting Rights Act."

And We know what that question is for.
Do you believe illegal aliens deserve representation in the US Congress? Because we allocate representatives based on that head count.

Technically No. Theoretically Yes. I believe U.S. should grant permanent resident status to illegal immigrants and eventually Citizenship on a case by case basis.
Last edited by deathflower on Mar 30, 2018, 11:38:59 AM
"
deathflower wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
you don't really need it to do a head count.

"US Commerce Department stated that they made this decision after the Department of Justice requested inclusion of the question "to better enforce the Voting Rights Act."

And We know what that question is for.
Do you believe illegal aliens deserve representation in the US Congress? Because we allocate representatives based on that head count.
Technically No. Theoretically Yes. I believe U.S. should grant permanent resident status to illegal immigrants and eventually Citizenship on a case by case basis.
I believe that they should, in most cases, be given a second chance to apply, after we fix the labirynthine legal immigration process so that it's quick, efficient, discerning and fair. I emphatically do NOT believe we should accept all of those applicants.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 30, 2018, 11:57:57 AM
This is a very weird timeline.

Spoiler
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
There should be one primary criteria for immigration to the United States - an earnest and fervent desire to live here and be an American citizen. If this desire can be expressed/confirmed, the process should be 'how can we make that happen for you?' This process should include a means of ensuring the individual so immigrating is set up with a decent job, or at least has the chance to try and get a decent job, in a non-border-slum area. I.e. a land-on-your feet start.

People who want to come here and take advantage of our stronger economy and less totalitarian laws whilst in the meantime badmouthing everything there is in the U.S. and loudly proclaiming the superiority of their homeland while they scorn everything we do (except make more money and live better lives than they could) can fuck right off and go back to their clearly-superior home country. I don't want any more Chinese dragon-ladies over here doing their best to poison their own children and grandhildren against the country they themselves specifically chose to raise their families in. It's one thing to be proud of where you came from and celebrate your traditions; that's awesome and it's part of why I wish we encouraged (and invited) immigration more, but if you actively hate this country then why are you trying to live here?

For the same reason, if less intensely, folks who don't really care about living here but decide to do so because, again, we have a stronger economy than wherever they're from should take a distinct backseat to folks who earnestly and fervently want to live here. No, current illegals don't get a free pass - as Scrotie said, they can take another stab at being legal immigrants once our immigration system stops being ass, but if they don't have that earnest and fervent desire to be an American citizen? They can go back to being a citizen of wherever it is they do want to live.

If you want to come here and take advantage of us without wanting to be part of us, without wanting to be able to stand up and proudly say "I'm an American citizen!" (or at least want to do so after Trump gets out of office and American citizenship stops being actively humiliating), then you can kindly not do so, please.

If you want to be a part of this country, put down roots here, raise your family as Americans who're proud of their [X] heritage rather than as displaced [X]s who just so happen to live in the United States, then I at least would be happy to give you that chance. Accepting folks like you who want to come here and make America a better place to live is a big part of how we came to prominence in the first place. We could use more folks like you; nobody's quite as motivated to really make this place better as an earnest immigrant who's thrilled to be here.
"
Xavderion wrote:

Spoiler

Not really sure whether it is good news. Our expectation is North Korea would die a slow natural death of an advanced old age... Instead it came out of its hermit shell.

"
1453R wrote:
There should be one primary criteria for immigration to the United States - an earnest and fervent desire to live here and be an American citizen. If this desire can be expressed/confirmed, the process should be 'how can we make that happen for you?' This process should include a means of ensuring the individual so immigrating is set up with a decent job, or at least has the chance to try and get a decent job, in a non-border-slum area. I.e. a land-on-your feet start.

People who want to come here and take advantage of our stronger economy and less totalitarian laws whilst in the meantime badmouthing everything there is in the U.S. and loudly proclaiming the superiority of their homeland while they scorn everything we do (except make more money and live better lives than they could) can fuck right off and go back to their clearly-superior home country. I don't want any more Chinese dragon-ladies over here doing their best to poison their own children and grandhildren against the country they themselves specifically chose to raise their families in. It's one thing to be proud of where you came from and celebrate your traditions; that's awesome and it's part of why I wish we encouraged (and invited) immigration more, but if you actively hate this country then why are you trying to live here?

For the same reason, if less intensely, folks who don't really care about living here but decide to do so because, again, we have a stronger economy than wherever they're from should take a distinct backseat to folks who earnestly and fervently want to live here. No, current illegals don't get a free pass - as Scrotie said, they can take another stab at being legal immigrants once our immigration system stops being ass, but if they don't have that earnest and fervent desire to be an American citizen? They can go back to being a citizen of wherever it is they do want to live.

If you want to come here and take advantage of us without wanting to be part of us, without wanting to be able to stand up and proudly say "I'm an American citizen!" (or at least want to do so after Trump gets out of office and American citizenship stops being actively humiliating), then you can kindly not do so, please.

If you want to be a part of this country, put down roots here, raise your family as Americans who're proud of their [X] heritage rather than as displaced [X]s who just so happen to live in the United States, then I at least would be happy to give you that chance. Accepting folks like you who want to come here and make America a better place to live is a big part of how we came to prominence in the first place. We could use more folks like you; nobody's quite as motivated to really make this place better as an earnest immigrant who's thrilled to be here.
In a technical sense, intent isn't objectively measurable and is a horrible criteria for immigration officials to use. However, I believe you weren't being literal in your first sentence.

Other than that, pretty much agree. I'd personally turn away everyone with an IQ below 90 and those with scary criminal records in their home countries, but that wouldn't be eliminating a lot of people.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Spoiler
Not really sure whether it is good news. Our expectation is North Korea would die a slow natural death of an advanced old age... Instead it came out of its hermit shell.
The latter flows naturally from the former.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 30, 2018, 2:14:59 PM
"
Scrotie wrote:
I'd personally turn away everyone with an IQ below 90 and those with scary criminal records in their home countries,

I would think a criminal record is an auto disqualify but who the hell knows. I know of no country that even lets you visit let alone become a citizen if you have a criminal record.

Edited to add: except Philippines. For some reason they like criminals.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Mar 30, 2018, 2:40:39 PM
A felony record (or equivalent in the applicant's home country) should be a very difficult thing to overcome, yeah. Misdemeanors I'd be willing to at least potentially overlook, provided there's not fifty of them and the individual seems to've otherwise paid for those misdemeanors. Sometimes folks have a rough patch; if they've done their time and stayed on the up-and-up since then, no reason to hold it against them.

That said, yeah - I know my stance is more ideals and feelz than actionable practicality, but I honestly do feel like even average ordinary folks who just really want to live here, want strongly to be an American, should be given that chance. You don't need to be a super genius or a doctorate holder or a kabillionaire or whatever to make a good American citizen. You just need the drive to come here and make something of your life once you get here. Shit, just the fact that you're putting yourself through the immigration process in the first place means you've got more drive than half the people born here.

If you're willing to upend your existence and take that leap from sheer desire to be here, because you think this is where you want to live your life and that we're the kind of people you want to be? I'm happy to have you. Just...do it legally, please?
There is an even easier filter to immigration than criminal records: no gibs policy. You don't get shit from the state, just for being an air breather living on the same planet. If some private entity (eg. family, friends, charity..) is willing to sponsor your stay until you find a job and start paying taxes, then ok, we move to the next stage: background check for ciminality and cultural compatibility.

But in the clown world of librulism people don't even need to supply a confirmable identity (age, country of origin, any documents at all..), to be allowed in by the tens of thousands.

No gibs = 90% of those "poor refuges" suddenly don't feel like crossing 10 safe countries to get to the sweet, sweet welfar nectar in Merkulstan.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info