Purpose of new melee support?

"
sidtherat wrote:
or you can just use Sunder

if it takes 2 extra links to turn single target skill into gimped AOE setup then this gem fails to impress me in any way

single target skills need mad % increase not some weird Multistrike mutation

but, lets wait and judge after release - maybe there are some surprises (unlikely by the look of things - spell cascade is MILES better than this junk and it is not that spells needed any help in AOE department

For most part you are right but molten strike is already great bosskilling skill. It'll get ridiculous with writhing jar+ancestral support+southbound. Heck, even static strike wouldn't be that bad.
molten strike is cool but you stack too many 'less' multipliers and miss on strong 'more' supports

and remember - this Ancestral Gimmick works only vs non-single targets. you CAN use wirthing jar chargefor ONE instance of more balls (if these do not die on their own from ground degen or whatever). is using a sub optimal flask for 2 charges better than alternatives in said flask slot?

it does EXACTLY the same what Multistrike currently does with one exception - multistrike cares not if you target 1 or 10 targets, youll get 3 hits. this new gem - you have to 'dance around it' to make it work in single target environment

compare that to no brainer supports spellcasters got and you see the problem. GGG simply has no idea how to make melee comparable, viable choice and they simply gave up.

and to make it even remotely usable you need 2 supports. to match or slightly outperform Sunder without any.

i do not consider this a deal worth my time. unless there are some other, fundamental, melee changes not yet disclosed - it will FLOP just like Stacked Deck flop in the past.

btw the worst part is the description: to help single target gems.. i would like to see some kind of a video tutorial or whatnot that showcases this support gem in realistic build in realistic scenario
"
sidtherat wrote:
molten strike is cool but you stack too many 'less' multipliers and miss on strong 'more' supports

If (and it is kind of a big if) "target 2 additional enemies" allows skill damage overlap then that is the same as 200% more DPS
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
with molten strike you have that big part - your damage depends on the secondary balls hitting the target. in real cases this might translate to 0% more damage multiplier when these 2 additional targets are just too far away

i leveled MS to lvl 92 and have a pretty good understanding of mechanic behind that skill. id NOT translate it this way, ever. most of these additional balls will hit nothing.. and vs single targets - youll hit just once so there is nothing to talk about

each time something like that is released there are some who claim it is a Holy Grail of the day. and once it turns out to be pointless junk these same guys are nowhere to be found.. all these 'great' scenarios etc fail the reality check (and the simple fact you can get easy 45% more, no strings attached from pretty much every other support gem nowadays)

note: so you have a boss and adds. so you get this questionable 200% more (with additional 25% less so it is not that great from the get go). how long will these adds survive? because even my 100%-non-meta MS character with the most junky setup ever one shots everything that doesnt have gold name. and i do not even try hard to maximize the damage..

so it works vs packs. or vs bosses that have immortal adds that feed your Worm flasks. and as such it competes with Sunder or just turns various 'strike' attack gems into bit better AOE. gems that do not really need that - is there anyone who said 'frost blades need better AOE' ever?
Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 18, 2017, 4:58:39 PM
Yeah btw i wonder how it works (if it does) with flicker strike. With a proper helm enchant and comparably low attack speed it might be possible to make it work without frenzy charges...
Why has noone said anything about this + lightning strike yet??? Hello??? lol. You would generate 3 times as many subprojectiles for the best lightning strike clear speed yet.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info