If EA bought GGG

ea is doing what most big companies are doing nowadays. trying to squeeze the most out of aaa games

I'm not trying to justify it because fuck the industry nowadays and their neglect of niche games, but it's somewhat understandable why they're doing it

price of a AAA game stays at 60$ throughout years but you can't buy as much with 60$ now than in 1994

an average senior dev salary in SF bay area is like between 120k and 150k

aaa games now have huge teams of people. just off salary a team of 50 people are pulling a 5mil budget.obviously they can outsource shit and generally not pay deva in the lost expensive areas but still...

and what's funny (and sad) is most of those huge teams are making sure game's polished and accessible. the few people that work on level design aren't worth a single level designer who worked in the 90s

the original xcom team was literally 7 people altogether.

aaa games are too expensive to make nowadays because of level of graphics and animations mostly so companies start doing shady shit to get as much side money as possible

another reason why gaming was much better back in the day

and to quote a certain wannabe pirate,

Last edited by grepman on Nov 14, 2017, 2:54:34 PM
If i had money to just waste like most unique makers on PoE do id buy it

I can make jokes to!... but its half a joke and half not a joke
Last edited by Lynerus on Nov 14, 2017, 3:15:23 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
This thread would work better if Mystery Boxes weren’t a thing.

I once spent three months in a mental hospital (depression, if you’re curious) and I met a man whose life was ruined by his susceptibility to gambling. No matter what kind of addiction a person suffers from, the consequences are invariably heartbreaking. Every time GGG release a new Mystery Box I think of him - and I lose a little more respect for them as a company.

The contents of the box are irrelevant - gambling (or pseudo-gambling) doesn’t belong in a game about hitting things in the head until blood and loot appears on the floor. And let’s be clear; the company investing money left, right, and center isn’t on the verge of bankruptcy. When you’ve the money to spend on Xbox ports, Chinese releases, and your largest expansion to date, your bank account is obviously doing just fine. This is pure greed. And it’s reprehensible.

I know most people aren’t going to feel as strongly about this as I do, if you even care at all. But to some extent that’s a product of not having seen the damage first hand. Think about road safety - naturally those who care the most are the ones who were either injured in a car crash, or lost someone they cared about due to one. I’ve never been much of a gambler, but I have at least seen one of its victims. I’ve seen the self-loathing, the shame, the fear of next time.

This is why there are laws which target gambling. Laws which get all too conveniently sidestepped by ‘technically it’s not gambling’ boxes in games. That the boxes exist is bad. That they are contained within a game marketed to children by the likes of Microsoft, Valve, and Tencent is worse. That GGG even has the nerve to give the contents of them temporary exclusivity is pathetic.

I’d have thought the least a game with $400+ packs could offer you is a gambling-free experience. Instead they regularly add new boxes, post an announcement about them which is shown on the game’s log in screen, remind you about them in chat, prevent you from buying the contents separately instead, then talk about how many people ‘choose’ to buy them.

GGG doesn’t deserve a thread about how much more pro-consumer they supposedly are than other companies. They’re a for-profit business and they push their boxes as much as they can. I refuse to see the shades of grey. In my mind this is black and white, and GGG are on the wrong side. If EA bought GGG nothing would change. Do me a favour and stop with the accolades.

Mistery boxes are a well known scam these days, if someone buys them it's their own fault. Consider it as natural selection.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
I would totally pay £100 for a fart skill
EA bought Westwood Studios and closed down my favorite game Nox , so ya they would probly shut down POE too. EA deserves all this flak they are taking.
Last edited by Rorshax on Nov 14, 2017, 11:09:51 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Although I'll ask you this, since I've recently been dabbling in other success story f2p-wise: would you be less discontent with GGG's model if they were less pushy about the mtxes but had a much more flexible definition of p2w?

I’m a big fan of GGG and their monetisation strategy is a huge part of why; it wasn’t my intention to take aim at that. At least, not all of it. When I’d give GGG a 9/10 rating (and I would!) the boxes would be the lost mark which deprives them of a perfect score.

My negativity towards GGG has put me at odds with the general consensus in the thread. I think that’s down to most people having a broader focus. The way I saw it, Scary Dinosaur Lady™ created a thread specifically about boxes in games. My statements were qualified by that context.

I have no issue with most “blah blah thanks for the support” messages in chat, the announcements about supporter packs, and so on. I don’t consider GGG to be overly pushy - if another studio mentioned MTX with the same frequency I’d feel differently, but that hypothetical studio doesn’t post an announcement every weekday. It doesn’t have excellent community managers, a studio head with an active Reddit account, or a technical director who chats on community podcasts.

There is, however, a shady undertone to Mystery Boxes and the messages about them. No game developer encourages me to gamble with the regularity of GGG. I find it disturbing.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
MiniST wrote:
would buy the pet that loots everything for you.

and..... i love this idea ! xD
Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/c/MrJimGaming
I'd buy garenamon anytime if it would ever be released again.

Harbingers, beyond, breach demons are nothing, I want to own the vilest creature to ever exist in Wraeclast.
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Sarno wrote:
This thread would work better if Mystery Boxes weren’t a thing.

I once spent three months in a mental hospital (depression, if you’re curious) and I met a man whose life was ruined by his susceptibility to gambling. No matter what kind of addiction a person suffers from, the consequences are invariably heartbreaking. Every time GGG release a new Mystery Box I think of him - and I lose a little more respect for them as a company.

The contents of the box are irrelevant - gambling (or pseudo-gambling) doesn’t belong in a game about hitting things in the head until blood and loot appears on the floor. And let’s be clear; the company investing money left, right, and center isn’t on the verge of bankruptcy. When you’ve the money to spend on Xbox ports, Chinese releases, and your largest expansion to date, your bank account is obviously doing just fine. This is pure greed. And it’s reprehensible.

I know most people aren’t going to feel as strongly about this as I do, if you even care at all. But to some extent that’s a product of not having seen the damage first hand. Think about road safety - naturally those who care the most are the ones who were either injured in a car crash, or lost someone they cared about due to one. I’ve never been much of a gambler, but I have at least seen one of its victims. I’ve seen the self-loathing, the shame, the fear of next time.

This is why there are laws which target gambling. Laws which get all too conveniently sidestepped by ‘technically it’s not gambling’ boxes in games. That the boxes exist is bad. That they are contained within a game marketed to children by the likes of Microsoft, Valve, and Tencent is worse. That GGG even has the nerve to give the contents of them temporary exclusivity is pathetic.

I’d have thought the least a game with $400+ packs could offer you is a gambling-free experience. Instead they regularly add new boxes, post an announcement about them which is shown on the game’s log in screen, remind you about them in chat, prevent you from buying the contents separately instead, then talk about how many people ‘choose’ to buy them.

GGG doesn’t deserve a thread about how much more pro-consumer they supposedly are than other companies. They’re a for-profit business and they push their boxes as much as they can. I refuse to see the shades of grey. In my mind this is black and white, and GGG are on the wrong side. If EA bought GGG nothing would change. Do me a favour and stop with the accolades.

GGG still falls on a better side given the game is F2P. That said, I don't think these boxes are needed. While I myself can stop myself from buying 23942394239 of them (I usually buy 2-3, if any), but I can tell that many people don't know when to stop.

I really wouldn't mind if GGG stopped with those.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Wait a moment, wouldn´t EA first fire off all the devs and replace them with Sheep,
i heard Sheep are a cheap and local resource in NZ ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info