The orville a better Star Trek than STD

Better star trek than STD (star trek discovery), The orville is really a great show.

First 2 episodes might seem goofy and at a time childish but from episode 3 and on it is really a good show, a good star trek-like show.

Very intelligent subjects at time, could seem to have SJW agendas (well star trek always been siding on the left sided opinion) but dealt with intelligence and subtlety.

Very strong women role too!

Seth MacFarlane I don t like a lot BUT in this series he is actualy ok.
I recommend it if you like Star trek OS.

Rotten tomatoes score: 19% critics/93% viewers...

Either Seth rubbed the wrong people or most critics wanted to see STD succeed for some reasons.
Maybe those critics seen only the first episode and complained of the humor or maybe seth is not the modern captain they all want.

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Nov 1, 2017, 8:38:14 AM
Last bumped on Nov 6, 2017, 3:55:22 AM
Star trek has been taken over by lobotomized Bayites whom only care about explosions to appeal for the most broad consumer base possible.
The orville is far FAR more star trek than the actual newest versions of star trek. It explores philosophy and provides social commentary, which is the core of the star trek i remember. And it does so without all the mind numbing intrapersonal conflict and drama.
The only episode i would say wasnt excellent was the one with the krill. My suspension of disbelief just couldnt take it.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
Star trek has been taken over by lobotomized Bayites whom only care about explosions to appeal for the most broad consumer base possible.
The orville is far FAR more star trek than the actual newest versions of star trek. It explores philosophy and provides social commentary, which is the core of the star trek i remember. And it does so without all the mind numbing intrapersonal conflict and drama.
The only episode i would say wasnt excellent was the one with the krill. My suspension of disbelief just couldnt take it.

Spoiler
What you didn t like about the Krill episode?

It talk about religious fanaticism, the impossible dilemma caused when one defend himself from it using weapons and the creation of never ending anger in both sides. In the end of it the action of the crew was justified and like IRL will/can create futur violence.

Not saving the children woud have been better for them but who kill children and not think of himself as a monster unless you are a fanatic?

The anger of the woman Krill reflect anger of taliban mothers for exemple. One can understand why she is mad but it was for a better good that neither the mother who is endoctrinated nor the children who will become can understand.

It point the fact that religion is so destructive that either total destruction during war or some sort of peacefull enlightment from their side is the only solution.

Poe Pvp experience
Last edited by Head_Less on Nov 1, 2017, 10:25:56 AM
"
Head_Less wrote:

Spoiler
What you didn t like about the Krill episode?

It talk about religious fanaticism, the impossible dilemma caused when one defend himself from it using weapons and the creation of never ending anger in both sides. In the end of it the action of the crew was justified and like IRL will/can create futur violence.

Not saving the children woud have been better for them but who kill children and not think of himself as a monster unless you are a fanatic?

The anger of the woman Krill reflect anger of taliban mothers for exemple. One can understand why she is mad but it was for a better good that neither the mother who is endoctrinated nor the children who will become can understand.

It point the fact that religion is so destructive that either total destruction during war or some sort of peacefull enlightment from their side is the only solution.

Spoiler

I didnt like how easily they were accepted by the krill. A war vessel on a bombing mission picks up 2 strangers which know virtually nothing about the krill, and they are just free to wander the ship?! I just cant get past it.
After just a few sentences, any reasonably intelligent person should guess that the stranger knows jack shit about their culture.
How do they know they have the accent right? The timing? How do they even converse at all? Does every race in the galaxy independently develop english?
There are just too many things beyond outward appearance which should have given them away.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Fuck I must be the only one that actually enjoys the plot and characters of Discovery. I hadn't even heard about The Orville until this thread popped up, already binge watched the first 7 episodes and it is indeed a good show.

I can't agree with the thread title though, for me it's just "live action Family Guy in space". :)

Not like that's a bad thing though. But if we're gonna compare space comedies...

Red Dwarf > The Orville :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Nov 3, 2017, 1:30:26 AM
They are both in thier first seasons and finding thier footing yet. Both have been renewed for second seasons, so here is to them both staying good.
HAIL SATAN!
I've changed my dog's name after the last Orville episode.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Besides, isn't there Star Trek Continues for the die-hard TOS fans?

You know, for a fan made webseries it's fucking phenomenal! Looking for that TOS feeling? Look no further.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
And Orville looks terribly camp. That may change. But the first episode, good lord. Not a great first impression, hence the RT score.

It does start getting better after the second episode. But if you're not much of a fan of Mcfarlane other work you'll probably want to skip it because it's basically more of the same.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Like you said, Red Dwarf already did space comedy and did it better.

The first 8 seasons were possibly the funniest shit I've ever seen on tv regardless of which genre comedy it is. I could watch it 1000 more times and I'd still crack up at every joke.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
As did HHGTTG.

Having a brain fart here, HHGTTG is?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
And honestly, it should have been done and dusted with Galaxy Quest, the ultimate self-reflexive sci-fi-show comedy. That movie held the mirror up to campy sci fi shows and then smashed it with Grabthar's Hammer.

Agreed! Man I hadn't seen that in years, I'm kind of ashamed I had completely forgotten about it. Gonna have to break it out and give it a watch. :D
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Yea you got to pass the first 2 episodes. Then it is totaly another serie from 3 to 8.

Personaly I hate the Discovery format.

I really like the 1 new episode- 1 new story type.

Discovery format(whatever it is called) is the kind of format created for drama/melodrama series. Things very boring to me as I don t like being invested in full seasons and having to watch every dam episodes to understand the story.

So the old format the orville is doing is very good for me.

I think Discovery is a good SF show but it is not a good Star Trek show at least in my opinion.
It is too dark, too much the 2000-2010 mood.

IT is michael bay/JJ visuals with a moody edgy world. Too much seriousness and very little space for dream and imagination.

Star trek is discovering new world, it is a futur utopia where the federation try to settled conflicts with mind and intellect. BLacks-whites, women-men, aliens-humans are at the same level.

This new one is just a pew pew in space with chacaters teenage-like mood swing.

Poe Pvp experience
Last edited by Head_Less on Nov 5, 2017, 10:04:22 AM
I thought Discovery would be just about that... discovery. Instead we got this: oh we've found a mysterious and probably sentient life form that is able to travel among the stars faster than any of our starships? Good, now how can we turn it into a weapon?

Ok i know the situation is desperate, war and all, but hey, even Picard refused to use a rogue borg against the collective when he realized he regained his individuality, and somehow i don't think klingons are more dangerous than the Borg.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info