[Sept 18] Difficulty and Level Progression

BIG NO for selectable difficulty level. I hate this and stupid "retire" and new game+ system in Fate/Torchlight.
On second hand i love progressing through Normal/Nightmare/Hell in D2 - because i was PROGRESING (with pain :) ) through the game. Not "oh i beat game on hard so im pro and i think its unnistall time" (this happen to torchlight btw).

But Selectable diff lvls/scaling of ensdgame maps will be good thing - start with "very hard" and go up till "insane hardcore oneshotting grounds" and it will be good. :)
Last edited by Kabraxis on Feb 21, 2012, 11:17:33 AM
"
Kabraxis wrote:
BIG NO for selectable difficulty level. I hate this....

Why do you hate it? How does it affect you in a negative way?
"
Sickness wrote:
"
MDragoon wrote:
Selectable difficulty levels don't work well when a game is balanced for multiple players.

Ofcourse it does. Why wouldn't it??

It would work for the balance, choosing the settings by the player who opens the instance.

But - if its possible to scale the diff by owns demand - how should it work for the experience scaling?
Its a path, far from all balance, if you can avoid all exp penalties by this...

"
Sickness wrote:
This is not done by the so called difficulity levels that we have now.

Difficulty levels only serve to reuse the content for multiple stages of the experience curve - they dont matter for the scaling problem: its absolutely equal if you have, as example, 2 acts at 4 difficulties, or 8 successive acts in one row, it may not fit your personal "needs"
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Sickness wrote:
"
Kabraxis wrote:
BIG NO for selectable difficulty level. I hate this....

Why do you hate it? How does it affect you in a negative way?

I dont say I hate it; but as said above, it will take all balance from the experience curve, especially for aspects like ladders (experience based competition between players). The equality for all players to use this is not a solution (in my eyes).
--
Last edited by Mr_Cee on Feb 21, 2012, 12:41:05 PM
"
Mr_Cee wrote:

It would work for the balance, choosing the settings by the player who opens the instance.

But - if its possible to scale the diff by owns demand - how should it work for the experience scaling?
Its a path, far from all balance, if you can avoid all exp penalties by this...

"
Mr_Cee wrote:
I dont say I hate it; but as said above, it will take all balance from the experience curve, especially for aspects like ladders (experience based competition between players). The equality for all players to use this is not a solution (in my eyes).

Harder difficulty setting = more exp and/or more items.
Why is it inconceivable that there can be balance?
If it's not balanced, just make sure that playing on the hardest difficulty setting will be the best way to get exp (if you can handle the challenge).

"
Mr_Cee wrote:
Difficulty levels only serve to reuse the content for multiple stages of the experience curve - they dont matter for the scaling problem: its absolutely equal if you have, as example, 2 acts at 4 difficulties, or 8 successive acts in one row, it may not fit your personal "needs"

Indeed.

Reusing the content is good, but using thinking of progressing content as difficulty levels is bad.
Last edited by Sickness on Feb 21, 2012, 1:06:42 PM
I would like to see higher HP values (of the mobs) later in the game. I dislike it that your primary aim should be to one-hit at least the white mobs. When the whites would need 2-3 hits even for high dps builds and 4-5 for mid dps, things like utilyzing stun would get more interesting. Of course a change on the flask-system would possibly be needed according to that.
"
Sickness wrote:

Harder difficulty setting = more exp and/or more items.
Why is it inconceivable that there can be balance?
If it's not balanced, just make sure that playing on the hardest difficulty setting will be the best way to get exp (if you can handle the challenge).

Just no - if you change you experience curve, you'll level faster, getting out of the desired balance regarding this point. You also would get an advantage (in time, and maybe more details) compared to players which dont change like you, choosing an average/normal/standard/whatever way.

Reusing the content is good, but using thinking of progressing content as difficulty levels is bad.

A higher stage of the same content, with higher scales foes (and maybe adapted abilities): what else is this if not a higher difficulty? How else would you suggest to reuse it? (to me, its only a way to cover the lack of more content, but for the efforts needed by one big quest flow, its ok)
--
"
Btah wrote:
I would like to see higher HP values (of the mobs) later in the game. I dislike it that your primary aim should be to one-hit at least the white mobs. When the whites would need 2-3 hits even for high dps builds and 4-5 for mid dps, things like utilyzing stun would get more interesting. Of course a change on the flask-system would possibly be needed according to that.

Keep in mind, that until the very last parts of the game, it should be able to beat even with non perfect gear or a more difficult, unusual build... My actual try with a simplesword and shield duelist arrived in cruel, and there is nearly no foe to be one-hitted... and there's almost never just only one foe.
--
3 difficulties = good change.
As for some other thoughts I posted them elsewhere :P
"
Mr_Cee wrote:

A higher stage of the same content, with higher scales foes (and maybe adapted abilities): what else is this if not a higher difficulty? How else would you suggest to reuse it? (to me, its only a way to cover the lack of more content, but for the efforts needed by one big quest flow, its ok)

Do you count act 2 as a higher difficulty than act 1?

Alot of semantics here. Anyways, my point is that they are not selectable difficulty settings, and that selectable dfficulty settings would be great.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info