Incorrect "My Games" location with folder redirection

"
grijnskat wrote:
Have you tried to create a Hardlink from C:\Users\*\My Games\Path of Exile\ to the network location?

Doesn't seem to be meant for me, but the tip for the hardlink is not possible as a hardlink requires source and target both each remaining on a local NTFS volume. So no remote- or unc-target possible.
But I did test a normal symlink as it is the only type possible here and it is not changing anything unfortunately.
"
Thyranim wrote:
"
grijnskat wrote:
Have you tried to create a Hardlink from C:\Users\*\My Games\Path of Exile\ to the network location?

Doesn't seem to be meant for me, but the tip for the hardlink is not possible as a hardlink requires source and target both each remaining on a local NTFS volume. So no remote- or unc-target possible.
But I did test a normal symlink as it is the only type possible here and it is not changing anything unfortunately.
+1
Exactly same problem here.
And for people talking about access rights - OP was running the game as ((probably) domain?) admin, so he sure had all possible rights that he could have.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Its not a permissions issue when other apps/games work fine with redirection, and even more work perfectly without using MS file structures and keeping everything relevant in their own directory (like wow).
polite bump
D3 manages to save its preferences etc. without any problem on the same machine.
Heas anyone else reporting the issue managed a workaround?

Maps aren't really worth playing with a minimap that is wiped each time you portal.
Can confirm an (unwitting) reproduction of this problem.

Folders are redirected via group policy to a network location and I get a structure created inside the PoE directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Path of Exile\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Screenshots

A couple of side effects I've noticed:
* minimap isn't saved
* game options revert on load
* screenshots cannot be taken (they don't save anywhere)
* if the production_Config.ini file is edited, PoE reverts it (in the network location) on startup.

I'm guessing that the last one happens since part of the game understands how to handle the UNC path (the part that saves the file) but another part of the game (the part that reads the file) can't handle it. So on startup it thinks there's no production_Config.ini and creates a new one, blowing away the old.

The likely causes the minimap problems as well - I don't see any files in \\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap that were created after 2014-10-06 (which is when the GPO was applied to implement folder redirection).
Traced execution today to help diagnose.

When PoE starts up it tries to read the config:

3:45:25.1903349 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\production_Config.ini PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

3:45:25.1904015 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\production_Config.ini PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

3:45:25.1915712 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 QueryDirectory C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\production_Config.ini SUCCESS Filter: production_Config.ini, 1: production_Config.ini

3:45:25.1932752 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile \\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\production_Config.ini SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Overwritten

3:45:25.1933451 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\production_Config.ini SUCCESS Desired Access: Read EA, Write EA, Read Attributes, Write Attributes, Delete, Read Control, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened

but can't find it since it's looking in the wrong spot, so it creates a new one and overwrites the old.

Note that C:\Windows\CSC corresponds to the Offline File Cache.

What I see when PoE tries to write minimaps is:

3:47:08.7518372 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Synchronize, Disposition: Create, Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

3:47:08.7519187 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\19d3c9d741339c4e5a14442df214fe528626aa453f1007e80534042caad04f73 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a

3:47:36.4658306 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\19d3c9d741339c4e5a14442df214fe528626aa453f1007e80534042caad04f73 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

3:47:36.5006379 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Synchronize, Disposition: Create, Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

3:47:36.5007271 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\f11de20409abef66c43273a9f1c968efad52f8484f0784aba8fc666ddbe25826 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a

3:47:49.2320497 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\f11de20409abef66c43273a9f1c968efad52f8484f0784aba8fc666ddbe25826 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

3:47:49.2720594 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Synchronize, Disposition: Create, Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

3:47:49.2721381 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\19d3c9d741339c4e5a14442df214fe528626aa453f1007e80534042caad04f73 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a

3:47:57.4019031 AM PathOfExileSteam.exe 4416 CreateFile C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\Minimap\19d3c9d741339c4e5a14442df214fe528626aa453f1007e80534042caad04f73 PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

To recap, my Documents folder is:
\\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents
but PoE tries to read/write:
C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents

There's a couple of other things affected by this (DailyDealCache) but you know how to get in touch with me if you want the complete log :)
Since GGG has said this is a low fix priority, here's an example workaround using an NTFS symlink.

For my situation, I need to redirect:

C:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents
to:
\\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles\michael\Documents

We can do this as follows:

1. Start a command prompt as administrator (hit Start, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

2. Run: mkdir c:\NETWORKSERVERNAME

3. Run: mklink /d c:\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles \\NETWORKSERVERNAME\profiles

Adjust the paths as suits your environment, but this works for me.
Thanks for the detailed reports, guys.

Turns out some utility code for converting and removing duplicate slashes from filenames was destroying network paths(!), i.e. "\\NETWORK\share\folder\etc.txt" became "\NETWORK\share\folder\etc.txt", which obviously caused some mayhem for those of you with folder redirection.

Sorry about that! It will be fixed in an upcoming patch. Thanks again for your reports and persistence.
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info