[3.0] The Gatling Storm Burster - MOM-Crit-Life 1,8 Millions DPS Inquisitor

"
"
Zand wrote:
Thank you for posting. Running a similar build but using Storm Call instead of Storm Burst at the moment. Wondering if you tried experimenting with both? Also, currently running Hiero so might just stick with that for easy power charges + stronger MoM.

Hello there!

Thank you for your feedback!
Not tried Storm Call in this League, are you suggesting swapping it for single target?
I fear you need a red link for that..
I find more convenient switch to another kind of gem, Ball Lightning for example is a very nice single target and boss killergem, with just 2 gem swap!

Regarding ascendancy, i'm focusing on a "sink or swim" set-up, looking for the most dps output as possible, discarding survivability if needed.
Don't like hierophant as it gives no bonus to dps..

You can use Storm Call for both single target and AoE. I wasn't suggesting to swap out for boss fights, just an alternative skill that you can build around and would use a very similar tree. You do need the red gem slot for reduced duration. Seems like DPS potential is a bit higher and it's a different but fun play style. I'm also considering Cloak of Defiance for my chest to maximize MoM further and allow me to dual wield without worrying too much about defense.
Thanks for the post on this build - I've been following it pretty closely and like the burst and kite playstyle.

I've found as others have mentioned that there are certain situations where I'm just too squishy and am getting exploded (e.g. map bosses). Part of this is being a new player and not knowing all the enemy mechanics and mods yet, and part is having bad gear and just 3k health + 1k ES. I do recognize the concept of the build is glass cannon but I don't yet have the gear to pull it off.

I play solo but like to have access to the market, so gearing up is pretty slow. So I've been working at adding a bit more defense to the build and wanted to share where I'm at because it seems to be working well.

What I've done is gone with Thirst for Horrors War Buckler Shield and have taken Ghost Reaver instead of Vaal Pact. My thinking is to have continuous defense regeneration of both health and ES while kiting without losing the benefit of ES if you're taking constant damage. (Ghost Reaver is nice and close to the Doom Cast spell crit nodes so you don't have to spend as many points to get there.)

You get 1% of damage leeched against cursed enemies which stacks nicely with the Doryani belt - I should probably use the Sceptre as well but just have a Divinarius right now. Another option I have yet to explore is putting Warlord's mark in the shield since it gives +1 level to curse gems - this would put the leech even higher.

The buckler also gives +5% block which I'm boosting further by pairing Tempest Shield with CWDT. The extra movement speed on the buckler also helps with kiting.

I'm using Vaal Skeletons to help distract enemies for the bigger fights - paired with minion life and increase duration means they stick around a bit longer to help as a bone-shield (was going to say meat-shield, but yeah, skeletons LOL!).

One more thing I've done to improve defenses is roll a Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin - 20% chance on crit to recover a charge. High uptime having so much crit and running Diamond Flask. The iron skin mod juices up my armor rating to 7k+ when it's active.

My offense hasn't suffered noticeably, fully buffed my tooltip is just under 800.

As I progress further in the maps this setup very well may prove ineffective, but it may be helpful to others with non-optimal gear trying to run this build but are just dying too much for one reason or another.
"
Zand wrote:
"
"
Zand wrote:
Thank you for posting. Running a similar build but using Storm Call instead of Storm Burst at the moment. Wondering if you tried experimenting with both? Also, currently running Hiero so might just stick with that for easy power charges + stronger MoM.

Hello there!

Thank you for your feedback!
Not tried Storm Call in this League, are you suggesting swapping it for single target?
I fear you need a red link for that..
I find more convenient switch to another kind of gem, Ball Lightning for example is a very nice single target and boss killergem, with just 2 gem swap!

Regarding ascendancy, i'm focusing on a "sink or swim" set-up, looking for the most dps output as possible, discarding survivability if needed.
Don't like hierophant as it gives no bonus to dps..

You can use Storm Call for both single target and AoE. I wasn't suggesting to swap out for boss fights, just an alternative skill that you can build around and would use a very similar tree. You do need the red gem slot for reduced duration. Seems like DPS potential is a bit higher and it's a different but fun play style. I'm also considering Cloak of Defiance for my chest to maximize MoM further and allow me to dual wield without worrying too much about defense.

Storm call is surely a funny gem to play, and yes, tree is good for it as well.
But i'm trying to max out the new skill to be honest.
COnsidering the colors, i can suggest ball lightning if you wanna change the skill. Tree is not perfectly suited (5-6 points should be respected) but it perfectly suit the chest
"
gibous wrote:
Thanks for the post on this build - I've been following it pretty closely and like the burst and kite playstyle.

I've found as others have mentioned that there are certain situations where I'm just too squishy and am getting exploded (e.g. map bosses). Part of this is being a new player and not knowing all the enemy mechanics and mods yet, and part is having bad gear and just 3k health + 1k ES. I do recognize the concept of the build is glass cannon but I don't yet have the gear to pull it off.

I play solo but like to have access to the market, so gearing up is pretty slow. So I've been working at adding a bit more defense to the build and wanted to share where I'm at because it seems to be working well.

What I've done is gone with Thirst for Horrors War Buckler Shield and have taken Ghost Reaver instead of Vaal Pact. My thinking is to have continuous defense regeneration of both health and ES while kiting without losing the benefit of ES if you're taking constant damage. (Ghost Reaver is nice and close to the Doom Cast spell crit nodes so you don't have to spend as many points to get there.)

You get 1% of damage leeched against cursed enemies which stacks nicely with the Doryani belt - I should probably use the Sceptre as well but just have a Divinarius right now. Another option I have yet to explore is putting Warlord's mark in the shield since it gives +1 level to curse gems - this would put the leech even higher.

The buckler also gives +5% block which I'm boosting further by pairing Tempest Shield with CWDT. The extra movement speed on the buckler also helps with kiting.

I'm using Vaal Skeletons to help distract enemies for the bigger fights - paired with minion life and increase duration means they stick around a bit longer to help as a bone-shield (was going to say meat-shield, but yeah, skeletons LOL!).

One more thing I've done to improve defenses is roll a Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin - 20% chance on crit to recover a charge. High uptime having so much crit and running Diamond Flask. The iron skin mod juices up my armor rating to 7k+ when it's active.

My offense hasn't suffered noticeably, fully buffed my tooltip is just under 800.

As I progress further in the maps this setup very well may prove ineffective, but it may be helpful to others with non-optimal gear trying to run this build but are just dying too much for one reason or another.

Hello hello!

thank you for your nice feedback.
Your analysis is correct, the build is a glass cannon, and you can feel being a bit squishy while playing it.

The only way to reduce this sense of vulnerability is to discard dps in order to increase survivability.

Just a couple of consideration before starting replying you in depth:
- you have a very low life pool (you must aim for at least 5k hp)
- the build is not optimized for block

If your aim is to increase the survivability, let's try reach this point without sacrifying too much dps.

SHIELD

This may be one of the best source of increased survivability. It can also a source of dps even if not powerful as the dual wield version
The Unshattered Will is probably the shield you're looking for. The harbinger will also randombly cast a spell making you immune to stun and giving you 20% reduction to damage taken. It also boost the dps with channeling skill, such as Storm Burst

FLASK

This may be a better solution, giving a base 15% damage reduction
Those 2, with the leech bonus they offer, are offensive and difensive at the same time

ASCNEDANCY and TREE

I'll avoid taking Ghost Reaver, leech is not relevant without vaal pact and the ES is not boosted as well.
But you can go to Pious Path as Ascendancy, it grants 6%ES regenerate per second, which should not be so much lower than the ES leeched with Ghost Reaver. All this without losing DPS (Path of Building says so)

GEMS

As said a while ago, this build is not boosting block, and the 3%additional block from Tempest shield is not consistent.
Try a better setup in your CWDT like immortal call with increased duration

Let me know if my suggestions are useful for your character!
What are your thoughts on Cloak of Defiance over Carcass Jack? Also, what about Conductivity instead of Projectile weakness? (Assuming I don't have to worry about power charges)
"
Zand wrote:
What are your thoughts on Cloak of Defiance over Carcass Jack? Also, what about Conductivity instead of Projectile weakness? (Assuming I don't have to worry about power charges)

Hello!
I've respec my 4 points spent in MOM cluster. I ended up being constantly drained down to zero mana.
Being unable to cast implies death.
This will also apply to cloak of defiance. The bonus to mana and mana regen are nice, but I don't know if enough to sustain enemy hits and spell casting..if I have to choose, I'd go for carcass

Conductivity is pointless, we ignore elemental resistances, no matter their value (positive or even negative). they are always zero for us when we crit
"
"
Zand wrote:

Hello!
I've respec my 4 points spent in MOM cluster. I ended up being constantly drained down to zero mana.
This will also apply to cloak of defiance. The bonus to mana and mana regen are nice, but I don't know if enough to sustain enemy hits and spell casting..if I have to choose, I'd go for carcass

Conductivity is pointless, we ignore elemental resistances, no matter their value (positive or even negative). they are always zero for us when we crit

Yeah I guess the difference is I'm currently Hiero. So my mana cost is already ridiculously low (Sanctuary of Thought gives 50% reduced mana cost, or 100% when full on ES). I'm finding it really nice to mitigate big blows with 50% of damage now going to mana (MoM + Cloak of Defiance + Hiero Node). I currently have 1,000 mana available (after Wrath/HoT) and that seems more than plenty with the Hiero nodes and fast regen. You definitely take a hit on DPS but I really like the survivability .

As far as conductivity, I forgot about that Inquisitor node. What do you think for someone that is Hiero though?
"
Zand wrote:
"
"
Zand wrote:

Hello!

Yeah I guess the difference is I'm currently Hiero. So my mana cost is already ridiculously low (Sanctuary of Thought gives 50% reduced mana cost, or 100% when full on ES). I'm finding it really nice to mitigate big blows with 50% of damage now going to mana (MoM + Cloak of Defiance + Hiero Node). I currently have 1,000 mana available (after Wrath/HoT) and that seems more than plenty with the Hiero nodes and fast regen. You definitely take a hit on DPS but I really like the survivability .

As far as conductivity, I forgot about that Inquisitor node. What do you think for someone that is Hiero though?

Oh yeah, I forgot your ascendancy..
The "hit on DPS" is what I'm trying to avoid.
In your case I'd suggest going dual curse with ele weakness and conductivity. Prefer conductivity over ele weakness
"

Let me know if my suggestions are useful for your character!

I appreciate the detailed reply above! Funny enough, I ended up discovering the Unshattering Will shield you mentioned as well as the 2 leech flasks and Immortal Call - so your suggestions are great confirmation I was heading in the right direction :).

Maybe there is something I'm overlooking (perhaps regarding armor stat?), but when I use Basalt flask my DR goes up to 20% from 5%. Using Iron Skin Granite, I get 38% DR. Any insight on that, or is it as simple as it seems that the buffed Granite is better?

The Pious Path ascendancy is something interesting I have not considered, I may try it out. Might not be too relevant (in terms of uptime) but my gloves currently have an enchantment which creates consecrated ground.

Thanks again, cheers.

Don't trust too much the stats from your character sheet.
Physical reduction from armour is based on the hit damage.
For example you need 9000 armour to reduce by 90% an hit of 100 DMG.
You can read the armour page on the wiki for.more detailed informations.

Basalt flask is a fixed physical damage reduction.
More over armour works on hit only, flask also on dot.

I see a nice synergy between your gloves and Pious Path ;)
Last edited by Effe86 on Sep 7, 2017, 3:25:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info