They might want to go to open beta before Diablo 3 releases.

I'm in agreement with Dabandit1 that if D3 is a huge success it will actually help PoE, not hurt it. The point and click hack and slash is still a bit of a niche market and D3 has a chance to make it main stream introducing a new market to this genre. The average gamer doesn't just play one game over and over again for years like the hardcore players do so if they like D3 they're going to look for similar games. With PoE being FTP there is no risk for gamers to try it so between word of mouth and a bit of well placed and well timed adds on various gaming websites PoE could be very successful.

I personally think GGG should focus their marketing after D3 is released and target 2 distinct groups. The group that will be disappointed that D3 wasn’t more like D2 and the group that really enjoyed D3, completed it once or twice and are looking for the other games that are similar.
I don't think PoE is competing with D3 at all, mainly because PoE is totally free... so really, it only "competes" with D3 if people have some kind of idea in their head that they can't play 2 ARPG's at the same time. However, I doubt that is true, people play SF and MK, people played Mario and Sonic, people play MW and CoD... list goes on.

GGG needs to focus on what GGG is doing, and not what Blizzard is doing.

Oh and I still play D2 and TQ.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
The game is being made to make as much money as possible, just like D3. So actually I don't see a difference, except that D3 you have to buy before you play, and PoE you buy after you play.
Last edited by Moridius on Feb 15, 2012, 11:04:10 AM
I dont think PoE will be competing with D3 at all either being completely free. I will be playing both since thier skill systems are so different.
"
Moridius wrote:
The game is being made to make as much money as possible, just like D3. So actually I don't see a difference, except that D3 you have to buy before you play, and PoE you buy after you play.

By that logic then I guess you don't see the difference between D3 and a Ford truck. After all, they are both made to make as much money as possible. ;)

The expenses involved to make D3 are much higher than those to make PoE. PoE can make far less money than D3 and yet still be more profitable. Which one makes the most money doesn’t directly correspond to which one should be considered the greater success. If PoE becomes they game that GGG invisioned and they make a profit off of it while making their customers feel like they go their money's worth then it's a success, regardless of how well D3 does.

Last edited by RWTD_Burn on Feb 15, 2012, 11:51:13 AM
So far D3 is meant to release in june, thats as of their latest *we're putting back the date again* though so they could well put it back again and again and again (and as its blizzard they most likely will and then still release it with most of the stuff they promised missing).

Poe should be in open beta in either march/april or april/may, either way its definitely going to be in open beta before D3 is out
I think we have plenty of time... i bet the Activision suits would love a simultaneous release of the console version since they think thats where the money is.
I did not play the d3 beta, but from the comments i see the game instead of being over engineered is kind of wanting, even after all this time. No wonder, since they keep recreating the game, usually by dumbing down core features of the franchise.
With that said, the Diablo brand carries unquestionable power, and when (if?) it releases, should for a few months have complete dominance on the ARPG market.
But after those initial months, it will have a positive effect on other ARPG games, since the the player base of this type of game is increased due to hype and marketing.

TL;DR:
D3 will help PoE in the long run, even if they release on the same day.
Many thanks to fantazmat for the beta key!
"
Moridius wrote:
You say 1/4 received keys. What percentage of those people have inactive accounts? While people who have been posting and waiting for months have to wait around? That's just stupid, and really sticks it to those who have been truly excited about the game.
It doesn't matter to us how many are active and how many are inactive. At this point in testing, what's important is that GGG has the number of testers they want. If they don't have enough, they'll alter the system to invite more accounts. If they have much more than they want, they'll slow down the invites. They have done both in the past, though there will likely be an increase in invites as the open beta draws near.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Ethereal wrote:
I think we have plenty of time... i bet the Activision suits would love a simultaneous release of the console version since they think thats where the money is.
I did not play the d3 beta, but from the comments i see the game instead of being over engineered is kind of wanting, even after all this time. No wonder, since they keep recreating the game, usually by dumbing down core features of the franchise.
With that said, the Diablo brand carries unquestionable power, and when (if?) it releases, should for a few months have complete dominance on the ARPG market.
But after those initial months, it will have a positive effect on other ARPG games, since the the player base of this type of game is increased due to hype and marketing.

TL;DR:
D3 will help PoE in the long run, even if they release on the same day.

they are not dumbing down diablo they are just making it easy to pick up hard to master. the people end game will have a hard time if they are still skill swapping ect. that being said yes they will have little effect on one another see my long post. and also the people that disagree with they systems, they have in place is just going to have to go some ware else. the majority of the changes made to d2 to d3 is welcomed imo
kinda off topic, but you can give me a key Rustychops... I'll love you for ever... and ever I promise

On a seperate note I can see Diablo 3 taking the spotlight, but a lot of people seem to be really into this game. I have found indy devs to be more reliable too and this game is free to play. However, I will probably sink $150 dollars into this game in a year getting extra crap like in LoL...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info