Arcane Surge

The gem constants are weird.
Very few active skills / builds able to fully utilize lvl 20 arcane surge.
4 sec buff duration is too low, 400 mana threshold is too high.
Even such tightly-fitting mechanic as Blade Vortex (8.8 sec AS duration, proc at 12 active blades) unable to grant 100% AS uptime.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Aug 17, 2017, 4:59:47 PM
I like the design of the gem but noticed a possible bug, arcane surge doesn't trigger when used with charged dash.
So i tested it with blight to see if it doesn't work with channeling skills but it does work with blight.
After some more testing it seems that it doesn't work with attack skills, but the gem doesn't say it only works when the supported skill is a spell, so i would suggest to either change the wording or make it work for all attack skills.

On another note, the wording about the mana used isn't very clear, on first glance it seems to mean you need to spend that mana in a single cast when in reality it accumulates the mana spent and triggers when the required value is met.

I would suggest to change the wording from;
Gain Arcane Surge when you spend (15-400) Mana with Supported Skills
to something like;
Gain arcane surge when mana spent with supported skills adds up to (15-400)

and then change the skills to spells if its really not meant to work with anything but spells.
"Each supported spell will track how much mana you spend on it[..]"

Arcane Surge doesn't work with Charged Dash because it's not a Supported Spell.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 19, 2017, 6:51:21 PM
Oh right, i suppose i should've read more carefully, it still seems weird to name it supported skills in the part where it specifies the amount of mana to be spent though.
I guess the keywords also should've been a clue that its meant for spells, sorry to waste your time and thanks for the reply.
You're not wasting my time - I'm wasting mine :P No worries.
Great self-cast necromancer utility skill(linked with Flesh/Bone Offering). Better if you utilize duration in your build, and/or mana ragen(like Mind over Matter).

Using it in a defensive way while you have MoM is also a viable option(linked with Rejuvenation Totem - Increased Duration).
Two-handed - Mop
Dual Wield - Slippers
One-handed & Shield (close combat) - Brush & Basin
One-handed & Shield (ranged) - Hair Dryer & Mirror
Main-hand & Off-hand (evil witch) - Sponge & Soap
This support gem somehow managed to make Hierophant even worse, since the "reduced Mana cost" from Sanctuary of Thought makes it impossible to proc any level of Arcane Surge on full ES. Come on, The Hierophant is THE mana-based character, and it can't even use a low-level gem based on spending mana, when he sould be able to sustain a high-level one with ease.
"
Noisnamalark wrote:
This support gem somehow managed to make Hierophant even worse, since the "reduced Mana cost" from Sanctuary of Thought makes it impossible to proc any level of Arcane Surge on full ES. Come on, The Hierophant is THE mana-based character, and it can't even use a low-level gem based on spending mana, when he sould be able to sustain a high-level one with ease.

since hiero's mana cost modifier are additive, you can use item that increase mana cost of skill, such as voidbringer gloves, apep rage wand, or fevered mind jewel to make it works

edit: added apep to item list
Last edited by caffarella on Sep 28, 2017, 1:06:59 AM
Can you make it work with vaal clarity on ?
"
blesedOne wrote:
Can you make it work with vaal clarity on ?

With Vaal Clarity active, you spend exactly zero Mana.
You need to spend Mana to trigger Arcane Surge.

So, no.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info