Charged Dash

The pose characters do at the end of Whirling Blades would look pretty nice at the end of Charged Dash (instead of the warcry animation) IMO.
Seeing as CD is a movement skill I find it strange that the Abyss Jewel affix "Increased Evasion Rating While Moving" doesn't work while dashing. This lack of synergy is surprising and disappointing.

Last edited by Chalk_Circles on Jan 16, 2018, 5:02:14 PM
Are there any plans to make CD usable while Unarmed? The preview of the rework has me eager to give it another go, and I think that a lightning-fast martial artist is easily be one of the best fits for the skill, at least thematically. A change like this also enables it to complement Doryani's Fist, Warchief Totems, or Dancing Duo builds, and overall I think it would be nice to have an extra Unarmed option (or two).
Which hand is Charged Dash using to deal damage when dual-wielding?

MH only?
Alternates MH/OH per explosion?
Alternates MH/OH per skill use?
Both at the same time (cf. Dual Strike)?

Mostly wondering for the purpose of Outmatch and Outlast.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Which hand is Charged Dash using to deal damage when dual-wielding?

MH only?
Alternates MH/OH per explosion?
Alternates MH/OH per skill use?
Both at the same time (cf. Dual Strike)?

Mostly wondering for the purpose of Outmatch and Outlast.

Charged dash alternates between off hand and main hand when dual wielding per skill use.
"
SoujiroSeta wrote:
Charged dash alternates between off hand and main hand when dual wielding per skill use.

Thanks!

Unfortunately that is exactly the worst case for what I had in mind; but I'll figure out a way to deal with it.
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
SoujiroSeta wrote:

Thanks!

Unfortunately that is exactly the worst case for what I had in mind; but I'll figure out a way to deal with it.

Yeah offhand stats sticks will be a downgrade for ur dps. I'm making charged dash as league starter. Not sure how it'll turn out after the changes, but lets see I guess.
This change is mostly good. I like being able to attack around corners and continuously channel it for repeated ranged attacks.

Stuns interrupting it is rather awkward, but whatever.

As for controlling the movement... it is horrendous. I imagine it works well on the Xbox, but it is uncomfortable on the PC. I have to keep my mouse close to my character to change directions quickly. This is the opposite location from where my cursor usually is. Please make it just follow where the cursor currently is.

Question: when doubling back and overlapping areas does it "shotgun?" I could not tell when I tried it, but I kept using small areas right next to my character just because I imagined it was happening.
I am finding the new charged dash fun, but not functional to be used as a main attack skill. This is for a few reasons:

1. It is very dependent on terrain you are fighting on. The incursions have highlighted a glaring weakness in charged dash's ability to do damage. Fighting in narrow corridors and small boxed off rooms greatly limits your ability to stack charges and align those stacks in an effective manner. A setup the could generate 8-10 stacks in an optimal setting may barely reach 5-7 in most parts of an incursion. This is made even worse when something runs into a corner or the middle of a doorway (like the bosses love to do). In those situations you can barely get 1 hit out of all your stacks to register. The etch n sketch design of the current charged dash is fun, but not practical if you are constantly fighting the environment to get it to do even sub optimal damage.

2. The skill is at odds with itself when considering how to increase DPS. Charged dash is a movement skill yet reducing your movement speed is better than increasing your movement speed for DPS. I recently went from playing with 0 movement speed to 25% via boots. In the same setup my 8-11 stack generation using no movement speed went down to 5-8 possible stacks using 25% movement speed. Considering each stack is akin to one more potential attack being made or 75% more damage per charge on release that is a sizeable drop.

It feels bad having to slow my character down so that my potential DPS is higher ( and easier to apply since the mirage doesn't move as fast)

3. Charged dash is unsafe. To get the most potential damage out of charged dash you have to loop the mirage back towards yourself. Not only are you rooted in place to perform this loop, but if you try to dodge an attack you put yourself right at the same spot you began. The only alternative is yo create an L pattern or a loop past your target. The issue with that however is you greatly reduce the coverage and damage potential charged dash has. This would be OK if the dash had insane damage, but as it stands if you aren't hitting with 8+ hits your better off using a different skill. Its hard to land more than 4 on a big target standing still using an L or loop pattern.

4. The new changes didn't make it any easier to calculate the skill's DPS. The APS aren't actually tied to attack speed. They are a mix of attack speed and movement speed and may or may not all hit the target you intend. The release damage is also hard to understand. Do I get 75% more damage on up to 15 hits (15 charges). Do I get 75% more damage on a base damage that has been boosted by 150% due to the channeling bonus? Is the 75% damage for every hit along the dash or just the last hit? Is it 75% more damage * number of charges applied to every hit along the dash? I've stared at the wording over and over again and I can't come to an answer.

In the end charged dash has had a great quality of life adjustment that allows potentially better AOE coverage than old charged dash. Its maximum damage potential ( 15 hits at 150% more damage) is also much higher than most feasible old charged dash builds. However, good luck hitting those 15 hits with any sort of movement speed investment, or being able to hold the loop needed to sustain them without dying.

While old charged dash was certainly more rigid is was also not crippled by terrain. A modest AOE investment saw 90% of the hits not placed on the center hitting due to overlap. Bosses were also much safer because dashing through them did not cripple DPS as it does now.

I like what the new charged dash tries to do, but I don't like that everything in POE seems to fight against it.
"
Exiledtyrant wrote:
1. It is very dependent on terrain you are fighting on. The incursions have highlighted a glaring weakness in charged dash's ability to do damage. Fighting in narrow corridors and small boxed off rooms greatly limits your ability to stack charges and align those stacks in an effective manner. A setup the could generate 8-10 stacks in an optimal setting may barely reach 5-7 in most parts of an incursion. This is made even worse when something runs into a corner or the middle of a doorway (like the bosses love to do). In those situations you can barely get 1 hit out of all your stacks to register. The etch n sketch design of the current charged dash is fun, but not practical if you are constantly fighting the environment to get it to do even sub optimal damage.

2. The skill is at odds with itself when considering how to increase DPS. Charged dash is a movement skill yet reducing your movement speed is better than increasing your movement speed for DPS. I recently went from playing with 0 movement speed to 25% via boots. In the same setup my 8-11 stack generation using no movement speed went down to 5-8 possible stacks using 25% movement speed. Considering each stack is akin to one more potential attack being made or 75% more damage per charge on release that is a sizeable drop.

It feels bad having to slow my character down so that my potential DPS is higher ( and easier to apply since the mirage doesn't move as fast)

I think you may be missing some obvious logic here. Unless you have a) some really bad human reaction time or b) a high dependence on Damage per Hit (i.e. Shock Effect), there is literally no difference in DPS caused by stack count. Why? Because as soon as you release a Dash, you can start charging another one up again and build up more stacks for more dps on your second Dash sooner. It exactly offsets any stack loss because your stacks build up again immediately.

"

3. Charged dash is unsafe. To get the most potential damage out of charged dash you have to loop the mirage back towards yourself. Not only are you rooted in place to perform this loop, but if you try to dodge an attack you put yourself right at the same spot you began. The only alternative is yo create an L pattern or a loop past your target. The issue with that however is you greatly reduce the coverage and damage potential charged dash has. This would be OK if the dash had insane damage, but as it stands if you aren't hitting with 8+ hits your better off using a different skill. Its hard to land more than 4 on a big target standing still using an L or loop pattern.

What? You realise new Charged Dash doesn't have overlapping areas anymore, right? Charging past vs. doing infinite swirlies on top of yourself literally has zero difference in DPS.

"
4. The new changes didn't make it any easier to calculate the skill's DPS. The APS aren't actually tied to attack speed. They are a mix of attack speed and movement speed and may or may not all hit the target you intend. The release damage is also hard to understand. Do I get 75% more damage on up to 15 hits (15 charges). Do I get 75% more damage on a base damage that has been boosted by 150% due to the channeling bonus? Is the 75% damage for every hit along the dash or just the last hit? Is it 75% more damage * number of charges applied to every hit along the dash? I've stared at the wording over and over again and I can't come to an answer.

150% bonus is when your mirage stops moving, and applies to continuous channeled hits. Final burst deals 75% damage per stack (i.e. the final burst is as though you were DPSing the whole time @ 75% per hit with 60% more attack speed, but in one hit rather than as overlapping hits).

"

In the end charged dash has had a great quality of life adjustment that allows potentially better AOE coverage than old charged dash. Its maximum damage potential ( 15 hits at 150% more damage) is also much higher than most feasible old charged dash builds. However, good luck hitting those 15 hits with any sort of movement speed investment, or being able to hold the loop needed to sustain them without dying.

OK yeah the more I read your post the more I'm pretty sure you did not understand the rework at all. No more overlapping area hits. Say it with me. No more overlapping area hits.

"

While old charged dash was certainly more rigid is was also not crippled by terrain. A modest AOE investment saw 90% of the hits not placed on the center hitting due to overlap. Bosses were also much safer because dashing through them did not cripple DPS as it does now.

Where is your evidence that it cripples DPS? In all my tests on Charged Dash as my main damage output there is zero difference between swirling in place with path overlapping 3x times vs. just charging past boss.

"
I like what the new charged dash tries to do, but I don't like that everything in POE seems to fight against it.

I was gonna post my own independent thoughts on new Charged Dash but this post just had so much wrong in it that I could barely remember what I was going to say.

All I can remember is that it does kind of suck that immobilising skills (Vaal Rain of Arrows, Bear Trap) prevent you from using Charged Dash and everything else was pretty hunkydory.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jun 7, 2018, 5:08:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info