6:00am I have a presentation... Topic: Poverty and it's addiction.

I can't sleep, it's not a dissertation for a phd however my psychology teacher thought to prepare us to invite high ranking collegiate members to our presentations. My presentation (not to be conceited) has the most interest. My teach said she was fascinated and actually was even questioning herself on my topic.

Anyways... If anyone here would like to chime in here's my argument/ideology:

You're poor because you want to be poor... Prove me wrong.

So my presentation has to do with the systematic psychological redundancy of individuals being addicted to the rumination of poverty. In other words if you grow up poor you will stay poor because everything around you has conditioned you to stay in that state of mind. What you drive, the iconology presentation of your life style is a great indicator of your status in the modern world and your psychological endeavors.

So I gave examples of colors to my class... You can try this to.

I want you to think of your bedroom and choose colors. And at the end state whether you are rich or poor. There's no middle just rich or poor... I was startled to see that people whom believe they were rich pick out lighter colors and people who made less picked darker colors. I was perplexed... However someone added to their notes...

"Since I dont make enough money I would choose a colors that done wear out easily to last longe."

That honestly made perfect sense... Now I was skeptical than I read... "I would choose pale whites, my family makes enough if it gets stained."

It get so much deeper, but I though be nice if you shared your thoughts, criticisms appreciated.... Cheers.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Aug 1, 2017, 5:48:00 AM
Last bumped on Aug 13, 2017, 5:58:48 PM
I think most people dissociate cause and effect when it comes to earning wealth. They don't have any particular interest in earning; they have interest in wealth. As such, their dream is some fantasy where their obligations remain low (or are lowered further still) while surrounded by luxuries only made possible by considerable material wealth. They want the wealth half of this fantasy, but they also want the laziness part. Therefore, when they begin to work and work hard to advance on the path to wealth, the laziness fantasy comes into conflict with their behavior, and they must either give the fantasy up or give up the work. Most give up the work.

So I would not say most people desire to be poor, really. More accurately, most people will readily accept being poor if it means they can avoid taking on additional responsibility. Including myself.

A person who truly wants to be rich doesn't fantasize about laziness amid luxury; they fantasize about working their ass off amid luxury. And they don't usually need to fantasize long before it becomes reality.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 1, 2017, 6:14:37 AM
I'll take a stab.

Born Rich or born with means. - Will have the best education, have the best opportunity to expand wealth, can have a good room for failure with backup savings and other forms of security. Your environment is practically about gaining and creating more wealth. Just don't be stupid or super unlucky and you'll stay wealthy or gain wealth easy.

Born Middle wealth or Working Class. - Will have a good education, may not be the best but can work to improve. With enough savings and guts can move to more riskier investments like business where he can be rich. But have a more limited access and a narrow room for error since money is just enough and when a venture fails it might be the end of it. Your environment is the workforce, rising in rank or keeping your job and being relevant working for big corporations, and your talents and skills are geared towards that end.

Born Poor. - Limited access to none on good education / university. Access to improving oneself on wealth is very limited or practically none since the limited money you have is spend on just barely keeping yourself alive. Business and high venture access and capability is none or very little. Your environment, well it is practically about how to live one day at a time and no ideas about how to improve and gain wealth like how the wealthy does it. Rags to riches is possible but this is the exception, that's why it's amazing and people talk about it.

This might not be the case for your country since government, opportunity, minimum wage and purchasing power matters. But it is in mine (third world), yes there are opportunities for the poor to be rich, but as stated above it is limited to almost none. You have to be ultra lucky and ultra ambitious to have a chance.

Just sharing my perspective of it and all IMHO.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
Last edited by element274 on Aug 1, 2017, 7:18:02 AM
"
element274 wrote:
I'll take a stab.

Born Rich or born with means. - Will have the best education, have the best opportunity to expand wealth, can have a good room for failure with backup savings and other forms of security. Your environment is practically about gaining and creating more wealth. Just don't be stupid or super unlucky and you'll stay wealthy or gain wealth easy.

Born Middle wealth or Working Class. - Will have a good education, may not be the best but can work to improve. With enough savings and guts can move to more riskier investments like business where he can be rich. But have a more limited access and a narrow room for error since money is just enough and when a venture fails it might be the end of it. Your environment is the workforce, rising in rank or keeping your job and being relevant working for big corporations, and your talents and skills are geared towards that end.

Born Poor. - Limited access to none on good education / university. Access to improving oneself on wealth is very limited or practically none since the limited money you have is spend on just barely keeping yourself alive. Business and high venture access and capability is none or very little. Your environment, well it is practically about how to live one day at a time and no ideas about how to improve and gain wealth like how the wealthy does it. Rags to riches is possible but this is the exception, that's why it's amazing and people talk about it.

This might not be the case for your country since government, opportunity, minimum wage and purchasing power matters. But it is in mine (third world), yes there are opportunities for the poor to be rich, but as stated above it is limited to almost none. You have to be ultra lucky and ultra ambitious to have a chance.

Just sharing my perspective of it and all IMHO.
Almost all of that is having parents as role models, though. Go find a family where the parents are lazy but still wealthy because THEIR parents worked, those are the ones where the kids don't work hard and the parents nearly run out of money later in life and can't bail their children out without sacrificing themselves.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 1, 2017, 10:13:42 AM
What about disabled people who grow up poor and cannot work themselves (except maybe an online/freelance job. But that's verrry hard to get into, quite competitive. And most are scams)?
rawr. fear me.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
element274 wrote:
I'll take a stab.
Almost all of that is having parents as role models, though. Go find a family where the parents are lazy but still wealthy because THEIR parents worked, those are the ones where the kids don't work hard and the parents nearly run out of money later in life and can't bail their children out without sacrificing themselves.

That could happen. But I think that is not conditioning of the poor. What I'm trying to illustrate is the starting point of the individual and what he has to overcome not to be poor, generally speaking.

From the OP ...

"
solwitch wrote:

So my presentation has to do with the systematic psychological redundancy of individuals being addicted to the rumination of poverty. In other words if you grow up poor you will stay poor because everything around you has conditioned you to stay in that state of mind. What you drive, the iconology presentation of your life style is a great indicator of your status in the modern world and your psychological endeavors.

It could be argued that you are poor because you are conditioned by your environment, but I am leaning more on you are poor because of your starting point and the condition of that environment, the condition of being poor.

I have read the study, also sat and listened on an auditorium (during my college years), that by introducing a free education program for the poor, this has alleviate the condition of the recipients by a significant margin after about 40 years of the program. You can call BS on that because I can't find the source, apologies. But I could attest to that because my friend was one of the recipient. He is not rich, but also not poor based on our country's standards. But he was poor for the first 20 or so years of his life. Selling anything on the street to help his family have food on their table then taking odd jobs just to survive while studying for free (lucky bastard). He can't thank that program enough, which was sponsored by the government, but the government was also the reason why the company we started went belly up, and now we're not rich. What a lol. :D
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
im poor because im lazy...

and I spent my young life doing drugs instead of developing marketable skills
I dont see any any key!
A- woot... Freaking points off for grammatical errors.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
was it recorded and possibly publicly available? TED?

congrats
rawr. fear me.
Last edited by tidbit on Aug 2, 2017, 1:07:49 PM
"
solwitch wrote:
I can't sleep, it's not a dissertation for a phd however my psychology teacher thought to prepare us to invite high ranking collegiate members to our presentations. My presentation (not to be conceited) has the most interest. My teach said she was fascinated and actually was even questioning herself on my topic.

Anyways... If anyone here would like to chime in here's my argument/ideology:

It get so much deeper, but I though be nice if you shared your thoughts, criticisms appreciated.... Cheers.
If you make the claim, it is your responsibility to prove your right. You need to present your evidence that supports your claim.

Your post should have read: You're poor because you want to be poor and here is my evidence....

Under your rules I could claim there is life on Venus, and try to get you to prove me wrong. Rational argument and discourse doesn't work that way.

Your room paint example is an interesting one and could be a supporting piece of evidence.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info