[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Great guide. I did a quick HC beta run through with very little trouble. Even started mapping at 57. :P Definitely starting 3.0 with this build as I much prefer RF over FB totems. Question though. After getting Tukohama ascendancy, do you drop totem life nodes and spire of stone for totem damage nodes?
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
Last edited by Moridin79 on Jun 13, 2017, 12:42:46 PM
1. Nothing changed for the Chieftain/Berserker, nodes we already picked just got stronger and the burning damage gem is in the beta a must have gem in out rf and sb setups (see post above you or my beta thread on the mainpage).

So everything in the guide can be used 1:1 for the beta, just the burning dmg gem is in our setup.

It didnt feel better with a hierophant than with the other classes, but i couldnt play further than lvl 70. MoM was very strong until the end of a7 and useless when i mapped 8 lvl under the maplvl :p

I wanted to test if the Hierophant with his small mana and manaregen nodes is enough to substain mana with MoM most of the time, but couldn't test it properly in maps (since my mapdevice is lost and i dont wanna play without one :P).

Scion is hard to test atm without all Labyrinths aviable.

In theory its worse than chief/berserker in terms of survivability since those classes have ways to recover a good chunk of life via regeneration or warcrys.

Scions Guardian is nice in theory for full curse immunity with 2 kikazarus and soulmantle.

as a 2nd class there are some options.

Necromancer gains 20% chaos resist, 30% damage, 4% phys reduction and skill effect duration. On its own not bad but not that exciting either.
Its nice to have the guardian + necro combo if someone likes to play in partys.
Small changes in the tree for dual or more curses, instead of mom / blood magic some defensive auras like 3x purity or 2x 50% ones and you get a decent support which deals good damage and is playable solo.

I mean, using stuff like grace + determination for excample, elemental weakness + vulnerability are universal for almost anything (or defensive curses), the bonus stuff from boss classes affect anyone and EE can be used to benefit your group or just dont use it if it hurts them. Besides that a tanky decoy totem and vaal lightning trap are never bad.

By far not as good as an offensive support as a necro or defensive support like guardian, but those literally cannot play solo

Chieftain can help a bit via the regen, but overall the real chieftain is more solid than both subclasses together with higher dmg, higher survivability and better regen.

Raider seems fine as well with frenzy charge generation is bossfights for 12% more damage and the alternative start to some life/evasion nodes for excample.

Atm i am not sold on the scion for this build, but i havent toyed around with her on path of building yet nor played her.

2.O

OoS can crit without dealing any damage to trigger EO.

Traps trigger EE, because we need to deal damage to trigger EE.

Respeccing Ancestral Bonds with a Soulmantle and/or tukohamas fortress has the benefit that OoS can deal damage and trigger EE as well.
We have less stuff to do while mapping and in bossfights, its easier to maintain all the buffs + debuffs and we can focus more on positioning, totem placement and so on.

So only quality of life and no damage benefits or something like that ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
"
After getting Tukohama ascendancy, do you drop totem life nodes and spire of stone for totem damage nodes?

no. Totem life is the biggest offensive stat we can get for rf totems.
Get it on every Jewel if possible as well as nodes on the skilltree.

"
Milkyslice wrote:
1. Nothing changed for the Chieftain/Berserker, nodes we already picked just got stronger and the burning damage gem is in the beta a must have gem in out rf and sb setups (see post above you or my beta thread on the mainpage).

So everything in the guide can be used 1:1 for the beta, just the burning dmg gem is in our setup.

It didnt feel better with a hierophant than with the other classes, but i couldnt play further than lvl 70. MoM was very strong until the end of a7 and useless when i mapped 8 lvl under the maplvl :p

I wanted to test if the Hierophant with his small mana and manaregen nodes is enough to substain mana with MoM most of the time, but couldn't test it properly in maps (since my mapdevice is lost and i dont wanna play without one :P).

Scion is hard to test atm without all Labyrinths aviable.

In theory its worse than chief/berserker in terms of survivability since those classes have ways to recover a good chunk of life via regeneration or warcrys.

Scions Guardian is nice in theory for full curse immunity with 2 kikazarus and soulmantle.

as a 2nd class there are some options.

Necromancer gains 20% chaos resist, 30% damage, 4% phys reduction and skill effect duration. On its own not bad but not that exciting either.
Its nice to have the guardian + necro combo if someone likes to play in partys.
Small changes in the tree for dual or more curses, instead of mom / blood magic some defensive auras like 3x purity or 2x 50% ones and you get a decent support which deals good damage and is playable solo.

I mean, using stuff like grace + determination for excample, elemental weakness + vulnerability are universal for almost anything (or defensive curses), the bonus stuff from boss classes affect anyone and EE can be used to benefit your group or just dont use it if it hurts them. Besides that a tanky decoy totem and vaal lightning trap are never bad.

By far not as good as an offensive support as a necro or defensive support like guardian, but those literally cannot play solo

Chieftain can help a bit via the regen, but overall the real chieftain is more solid than both subclasses together with higher dmg, higher survivability and better regen.

Raider seems fine as well with frenzy charge generation is bossfights for 12% more damage and the alternative start to some life/evasion nodes for excample.

Atm i am not sold on the scion for this build, but i havent toyed around with her on path of building yet nor played her.

2.O

OoS can crit without dealing any damage to trigger EO.

Traps trigger EE, because we need to deal damage to trigger EE.

Respeccing Ancestral Bonds with a Soulmantle and/or tukohamas fortress has the benefit that OoS can deal damage and trigger EE as well.
We have less stuff to do while mapping and in bossfights, its easier to maintain all the buffs + debuffs and we can focus more on positioning, totem placement and so on.

So only quality of life and no damage benefits or something like that ;)

Appreciate the quick and detailed response!
Loving this build so far, just tearing through content.

One more question about weapons:

What's the best way to tell an upgrade with this build? I know in the guide it says spell damage doesn't help us, so I've been trying to stay strictly with Fire Dmg% and Elemental Dmg%, but is there a priority? and does stuff like fire damage to spells help much? As I'm leveling with this I can't really determine what is an upgrade, because the Tooltip DPS seems unreliable (spell dmg% and IAS seem to increase it most - which doesn't really seem to help this particular build).

Thanks!
In weapons you are looking for the greatest total of "Increased Damage" "Increased elemental damage" "Increased Burning Damage" and "Increased Fire Damage" Add those up, and whatever is highest is best.

For instance, in beta, I found a scepter that has a 30% elemental damage implicit, along with a 71% increased fire damage mod. That's a 101% total increase.

Of course that is just damage boosting weapons, you could also use one that boosts your defenses.
Looks like the new Efficacy gem is a no-brainier upgrade for this build for the last link (replacing Minion and Totem resistance in a Soul Mantle) Should be 24% more damage over time, 16% skill duration, and 10% increased damage over time (with quality) Not only better than resistance, but also removes the Rapid decay penalty.

Not a huge buff for RF totems, but you can bet the self-cast RF people are foaming at the mouth. My only worry is that with all the RF buffs, a nerf is incoming. I hope the scope of the nerf doesn't hurt RF totems badly.
"
Breken wrote:
Looks like the new Efficacy gem is a no-brainier upgrade for this build for the last link (replacing Minion and Totem resistance in a Soul Mantle) Should be 24% more damage over time, 16% skill duration, and 10% increased damage over time (with quality) Not only better than resistance, but also removes the Rapid decay penalty.

Not a huge buff for RF totems, but you can bet the self-cast RF people are foaming at the mouth. My only worry is that with all the RF buffs, a nerf is incoming. I hope the scope of the nerf doesn't hurt RF totems badly.

excactly, eficacy is only a upgrade for a 6l mantle for 5% more damage. The skill effect duration is near meaningless, but not bad either ;)

we will see what happens with rf. Low life rf got hit a lot with the es nerfs and the changes mostly compensate that. Life based should be wax better and rf totems are definetly stronger. The build roughly received 60% more damage on my 2.6 character with a 6l soulmantle.

Those skilltree/gem changes/additions seem to focus on ignites and the buffs to rf searing bond and scorching ray are a sideeffect of that. I would expect a nerf to rf, life reducing "Enemies Burn for 50% of your maximum Life per second as Fire Damage" by a few percent for excample, but we will see what happens.

It will probably stronger than its in 2.6 if they change something

"
superkegs wrote:
Loving this build so far, just tearing through content.

One more question about weapons:

What's the best way to tell an upgrade with this build? I know in the guide it says spell damage doesn't help us, so I've been trying to stay strictly with Fire Dmg% and Elemental Dmg%, but is there a priority? and does stuff like fire damage to spells help much? As I'm leveling with this I can't really determine what is an upgrade, because the Tooltip DPS seems unreliable (spell dmg% and IAS seem to increase it most - which doesn't really seem to help this particular build).

Thanks!

The best way to see the dps and check whats the biggest upgrade is using 'path of building'.

There is no priority between fire, totem or elemental damage, pick the highest you can get. Every one of those increases the damage the same way, there is no difference in 10% fire or 10% elemental damage.

Area damage however is a stat that only benefits RF and not searing bond and doesnt have such a high priority as the other stats.

Same for totem life, but that stat is too powerful to pass. 10% totemlife is a bigger dps gain than 10% fire damage, despite fire damage works with rf + sb

Hi, want to try this build, have 2 opal rings with some fire dmg:

Will they fit to this build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info