[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

"
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spell_Totem_Support:

"
As of patch Version 3.0.0, summoned totems have 45% less life and take 45% less damage. This will impact life leeched from attacking enemy totems and the damage dealt by Righteous Fire totems. THE TABLE BELOW DOES NOT REFLECT THESE CHANGES!

Pretty much explains why it deals less damage than expected. It got nerfed!
RF totems is not the way to go in 3.0 .

and i still killed shaper pretty comfortable with it. Its not a unknown change or anything like that ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Sep 8, 2017, 6:40:33 AM
I'm playing on Xbox, while the totem placement is a bit clunky, this build works pretty smooth i have to say. What i enjoy though is how fluid it becomes to work with the 2nd skillset via the RT button, for example RF totem on X, backed up by Flammability on X+RT, it's just smooth. Allows to play the tough battles with more range between you and the aim(s) which benefits the Berserker's "weakness" to those one-shots. I don't habe the full gear yet, but i really intend to leave Flammability out of a Cwdt-setup... and dual-curse. Temp Chains on Cwdt i think for crowd control.
I think i will start with Whispers of Doom (4 points from the jewel node). Thing is, the amulett, at least for me, was always the final piece in the customization of this build, get the dex you need, cover the missing res but well i always wanted me some fire dmg on it, too. To get one and have the luck to vaal it to +1 curse, well that sounds like more of a longterm goal.
And now that i think of it, if i don't rely on the Cwdt mechanic besides Immortal Call... i think i should go with Blasphemy+Temp Chains, right? Make some use of the untapped mana ressources.

Edit: I'd even could go with just one Kikazaru then due to Temp Chains... right... help me out, guys, this all sounds too juicy, i'm sure i have some logical error in the whole idea.
Last edited by azamatsecoy on Sep 8, 2017, 5:30:27 PM
I barely understand what you wanna do.

You should definetly use 2x kikazaru with soulmantle OR none and use 2x curse removal on flasks.

With whispers of doom you can just drop the critgem in orb of storms.
If you want blasphemys you have to drop Bloodmagic. Then you could go for dual blasphemy.

if you want some cwdt stuff you could swap out support gems of scorching ray. Cwdt + SR + immortal call + duration lets you cast scorching ray with a higher duration debuff while having immortal call. That way you can free up some sockets

Sorry, i was a bit confused and my bad english does not help in such cases, too. :D

Here is what made me stumble, just was looking at the options i had on 2nd curses, but i misinterpreted what i found:

Kikazaru: 40% reduced effect of curses on you
Temporal Chains: 40% reduced effect of curse against player

So this seems to be umm... PVP related. D'oh.

The main reason which brought me on this route was that cursing on Xbox with the mentioned mechanic is more intuitive & convenient. You're more actively dodgeing though because the totem placement is less precise. This lead me to looking for an additional defensive mechanism to add... Scorching Ray, the way i played so far, i really just need the -res i think, also i kind of underutilize the Shield Charge. I def could find some room when it comes to gems.

Edit: You mentioned Blood Magic, yeah, that was another factor, i play without so far and still without a mana flask and/or clarity support. No probs. So i thought my options would be Mind over Matter, i know you've decided against it lately, or reserve some of the mana for an additional mechanism.
Last edited by azamatsecoy on Sep 9, 2017, 10:44:51 AM
We dont use kikazaru only for temp chains, the other curses are even more dangerous ;)

I have a section below the mainpost with variations of the build.

I understand that it can be more clunky on xbox than on pc, so temporal chains on blasphemy can help with that.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECALiTHNyPGlorWOXDE6Py-JMrthDMjEYEB0yzl5VSU5f05FHv69AfOuHyRf4K_o-mVzWSTePYvZ1jA3VfBJuhJy-QVRo4xti4R52upwhfP_noPV_Grj38jM_2SHF5FxwSaVZINukkqhZv42rg2Kdtw2ghkPhffftf0OoQWGPAZtgkr2xR-x8YzRbaYmh0GFZQRxQg7w48LYNfg8wEs6IA8B9VxoPbOlhnm2TnVdYXL4CkmK2PRjrYQYe3Puvu7DhqQ7zqCPQdFILHKPpTUprgRZ2Cm5o799fvfJ_fPAVmnlgHeC8Yanzlrj5tGfrSrJgLYWjyZlSFewAAAAA=

Can recommend this tree for the purpose.

It allows you to run 2x blasphemy (temporal chains + enfeeble or flammability) + Arctic armour while having enough free mana to use any skill.

Just keep in mind that you NEED one jewel with totem resistance (i think it was 8%). Ironwood covered that.

You could even go for a curse amulet or the boots for an additional curse via curse on hit oos.

To make room for that exta gems i would cut supportgems of scorching ray.

i cannot recommend MoM at all, it requires investment to work properly. Tested it a while on the build and it performed pretty bad.

The skilltree posted earlier was badically what i used until 2.5, then blasphemy aoe got gutted. This was buffed in 3.0 and should work fine now. I would say its equally good to my current version, it just needs more awareness of mapmods (curse immune/effect), a jewel with totem resists and is more dependant on gemlinks. My current version is just beginner friendlier

Last edited by Milkyslice on Sep 9, 2017, 12:13:15 PM
Yeah, in my excitement i just thought there's the equal curse reducing effect on TC than it is on the ring lol... like, sure, i'm a... "player", right... and it says just "curse" without that "s" but that surely is just a spelling error. xD Oh boy. In my defense, it also was very late haha.

Thanks so much for the input, i'm intrigued to at least try and see if it all stays as balanced as your main build - in relation to my personal playing style that is of course. What feels balanced for me might feel different to someone else of course. Might wait a bit jumping ships because my gear and by that the challenges i am currently facing aren't on the level to be able to make final conclusions. But i'm getting there. I'll post some feedback, might be interesting for others who follow you developing your build, especially Xbox users.
Last edited by azamatsecoy on Sep 9, 2017, 12:59:31 PM
Level 86 now and still enjoying the build for maps, spent some time working on strategy and figuring out why I was getting killed by T8+ bosses too often and I am doing a lot better. Honestly part of it was not using a decoy totem enough, which was stupid. But I also invested 30c into new boots and gloves, swapped a few jewels and got nearly 6k hp which is a big help. Running T11 now with no problem and I think I could go all the way up, I just get shit map drops.

Honestly the biggest challenge for me now is remembering all the buttons. Put down decoy, rf, bond, put down orb, hit enduring, use searing if needed and shield charge while reaching for flasks in an emergency. My fingers are all over the place.

Here's my gear now!

Spoiler
Great guide and cool build, chill and yet effective.

Just killed Shaper for the first time, it was a helluva fight

Last edited by Exca99 on Sep 10, 2017, 12:38:55 AM
is this build HC playable ?
Thanks for this aweseome build!!

Got my first shaper kill (almost deathless) with this build and have tons of fun :). It also is my highest leveled character! (lvl 94)

Last edited by datsikxD on Sep 10, 2017, 2:28:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info