How much life do you need to facetank bosses?

I life a lot of builds just because hur dur stack ES is so boring at this point and all you need is 5-6K if you got serious leech ....can survive 99.9% of one shots. Hell with max block you can survive even those like uber double flame blast which stacked ES cant. for exmple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKE4eXMesQY&t=8m15s

I dont believe you get one shotted by many things with 8K. More like 2-3 shotted and bursted is you watch in slow mo. People like to call this one shot but it isnt
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 27, 2017, 8:31:15 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I life a lot of builds just because hur dur stack ES is so boring at this point and all you need is 5-6K if you got serious leech ....can survive 99.9% of one shots. Hell with max block you can survive even those like uber double flame blast which stacked ES cant. for exmple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKE4eXMesQY&t=8m15s

I dont believe you get one shotted by many things with 8K. More like 2-3 shotted and bursted is you watch in slow mo. People like to call this one shot but it isnt

It's a super impressive build, no doubt about that, but you got a bit lucky with the spell blocks there. You blocked all the flameblasts. Nearly died a bit later on when some spells went through the block. You can't just have your fingers crossed and hope it'll work every time - if you are having near death experiences, you'll have a death experience at some point.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
"
Lynerus wrote:
Theres some streamer that has an archer that gets 16k hp...

Ive tried to max out an hp char with nothing but hp nodes and maxed hp gear and i dont think it even hit 10k

You can facetank to a point if your max block with like 4.5k hp but you will get hit sooner or later so im not sure it really counts (did this one a guardian least league and couldnt kill it because it would 1 hit me when block fucked me over... and that was alot)

4.5 hp is super low, with or without block. IMO you need 6k with fortify for endgame conditions.

This be truth. I recently got a char from 4700 to ~ 6000 and the difference in survivability is noticeable. Like just casual deaths on the original 4700 are shrugged off with that extra 1000 or so hps. Really seems to be a fine line in there.
It depends on many things but 8k life without extra mitigation isn´t as much.
Some things can still kill you.

The higher level of tank build should be like this
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1875078

Last edited by Rakiii on Apr 27, 2017, 5:45:55 PM
"
Rakiii wrote:
It depends on many things but 8k life without extra mitigation isn´t as much.
Some things can still kill you.

The higher level of tank build should be like this
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1875078

We're talking about relatively budget builds, of course having a bajillion ES and regen is better.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I really don't think that you can always facetank with blocks/spell blocks. It's kind of a gamble knowing that you depend your defense on luck.
"
dovahkiin07 wrote:
I really don't think that you can always facetank with blocks/spell blocks. It's kind of a gamble knowing that you depend your defense on luck.

You can facetank in many situations, you just have to know your build's capabilities. Assuming you have a high enough hitpoint pool, stuff you can facetank and feel practically immune to which a normal build will be scared of:

- Beyond bosses except for Bameth who has detonate dead and desecrate
- huge packs of hard hitting mobs like tentacle miscreations, vipers, rhoas and so on
- firestorm bosses
- herald of thunder / lightning damage bosses

Stuff which you do have to be careful about:
- telegraphed single hits (Dominus/Vaal/Malachai slam, Atziri flameblast)
- detonate dead
- the laser of the Torture Chamber boss
- essence drain exile and generally damage over time
- corrupting blood

There are ways to deal with all of these. It does mean you can't be brainlessly facetanking EVERYTHING, of course. You still have to keep your eyes open and pay attention, and I think that's good. Anyway, it's not dependent on luck at all. It's dependent on knowing what you can and what you can't facetank, and with a proper block build you can facetank almost everything.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 28, 2017, 3:49:45 AM
"
Bars wrote:

- detonate dead of high-hitpoint mobs like a unique boss with a detonate dead totem nearby (well, ANY build should be scared of that really, with a max block build you have a 3/4 chance of surviving but it's an unnecessary risk)

er.. you know that Detonate Dead can't be Blocked, right? It doesn't deal Spell Damage but Secondary Damage, which isn't spell so it can't be spell-blocked

This is also why Bameth is equally scary against block and non-block builds
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
"
Bars wrote:

- detonate dead of high-hitpoint mobs like a unique boss with a detonate dead totem nearby (well, ANY build should be scared of that really, with a max block build you have a 3/4 chance of surviving but it's an unnecessary risk)

er.. you know that Detonate Dead can't be Blocked, right? It doesn't deal Spell Damage but Secondary Damage, which isn't spell so it can't be spell-blocked

This is also why Bameth is equally scary against block and non-block builds

Didn't know that obviously, I always avoid it on general principle so I haven't died to it. Editing the incorrect part out of the previous post. I also just noticed I wrote Haast instead of Bameth.

The interesting part is, I had a Bameth spawn in a Pit map recently and I didn't even feel the explosions, perhaps it's because it was a low-tier map and I have fortify + arctic armour.

Thanks for the info!
Last edited by Bars on Apr 28, 2017, 3:43:58 AM
Getting 8k hp on a block build seems like it would be hard to do more so since we cant use belly

I bet id have to give up every damage node i have to get that if i even could and then your playing the when will rng fail and you die still because you have no damage to kill anything

I have alot of dps on my block build and it takes FOREVER to damage guardians to the point where its not even worth doing

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info