The REAL problem with melee vs. ranged

"
sarahaustin wrote:
Ranged attacks need a range limit so ranged chars can run into danger too. The problem right now is ranged chars have unlimited range. No danger for them vs danger for melee.

This

160 limit is too much.

Put projectiles at screen limit, then you can lower aoe for everyone.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Apr 25, 2017, 9:15:42 AM
Monsters need Arrow Dancing and 1000% more armour vs ranged attacks.
Here's a thought:

What if the point blank mechanic was more universal? Meaning, the closer a target is to your character, the more damage it takes. This bonus damage can then taper off into penalties until no damage is inflicted at long, offscreen range.
"
Boem wrote:
I think the fundamental issue is dick size.

Unless GGG addresses who has the bigger one, this problem ain't going away.

Peace,

-Boem-

is that why my damage sucks?

i need a bigger... "weapon" lol
I dont see any any key!
"
KZA wrote:
Here's a thought:

What if the point blank mechanic was more universal? Meaning, the closer a target is to your character, the more damage it takes. This bonus damage can then taper off into penalties until no damage is inflicted at long, offscreen range.

This idea I think has some great merit I think (though anyone can chime in and tell me why I'm stupid, because I am pretty exhausted after my shift at the factory)
Combat is simple.
Keep your blood in.
Take theirs out.
playing a melee char this league I discovered how some affixes can wreck your day as melee.

That nememis mod that make monsters explode for exemple is a chore. Trio is harder too...

Marginally I find melee having more or less the same clearspeed because you can achieve huge aoe with some melee builds and you end up usually closer to loots. BUT melee starts becoming a nuisance in higher tier map where a volatile can just os your 6K hp pool out of nowhere with some usually ok map mods...
Obviously AoE and Damage/HP ratio need a major rework.

Stuff like "I vaal fireball zip through a shaped strand in 15 seconds" needs to go, it's just obscene.

---

Then, make monsters count. Make it a real difference what type of monster I am fighting.

Right now, most monsters have too much trouble getting their damage in. I don't even need to play ranged, most trash mobs fail to attack me, their spells/ranged attacks most often hit nothing but thin air.

(Last league, I played a gladiator with the "gain % damage whenever you block" thing, and I barely ever reached more than 3-4 stages of this ability, even if I stand still in the middle of a pack)

Monsters are too slow, too clumsy, too useless.

Give us...

-> more ranged monsters, some with "homing missile" projectiles or near instant projectile speed, so we cannot really evade everything manually.

-> more melee monsters with gap closing abilities like flicker strike

-> monsters with crowd control abilities, like slows and nets ("good luck running away now")

-> monsters/bosses that have flameblast type skills, but with "far shot" scaling, dealing more damage over distance (like Razor in Dota).

---

Then give melee some tank that cannot be stolen by ranged/spell.

One brute force solution would be: remove all fortify sources, hide fortify in every melee skill gem that isn't a movement skill ...
If a spellcaster wants to cyclone into a pack to get fortify, he earned his fortify. ;-)

Another: Remove Vaal Pact, remove all leech sources except "% of melee damage".
If a spellcaster wants to cyclone through a pack to refill his ES, he earned his life leech. ;-)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Apr 26, 2017, 12:49:47 AM
I'd like to see the maximum increase to movement speed be 50%. Slower than current maximum speeds would allow other game/build factors to come into play. With all players moving at more similar speeds, it would be easier to balance the various aspects like AOE, cast/attack speeds, drop rates, aura impacts, curses impacts, monster stats etc.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The real problem is that one has to be better, and no matter which it is, people will complain.

this.
Smoother than Smooth.
"
KZA wrote:
Monster HP.

In a game where monsters die in a quarter of a second, it comes down to who can explode the whole screen (or even a screen away) fastest and so range always wins. But! If monsters have X% more life (i'll leave it to the devs to figure out what the exact amount should be) and melee's damage is boosted to compensate, the two playstyles would have more similar clear speeds.

Am I crazy? I've just always kind of thought ranged should do less damage since it can hit a monster so quickly, so much more conveniently and safely, and since melee has to take the time and risk to get in the enemies face, they should smash said face really effectively.

Crazy? Why, you're right, actually. When traveling between enemy packs and looting enemies takes 5x time more than killing enemies, you receive ultra-fast clearspeed meta. For that meta, long range and high AoE are domimant things.

But you're wrong if you think it's the ONLY reason why melee sucks. Although a very important reason, it's not the only one.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info