The REAL problem with melee vs. ranged

Monster HP.

In a game where monsters die in a quarter of a second, it comes down to who can explode the whole screen (or even a screen away) fastest and so range always wins. But! If monsters have X% more life (i'll leave it to the devs to figure out what the exact amount should be) and melee's damage is boosted to compensate, the two playstyles would have more similar clear speeds.

Am I crazy? I've just always kind of thought ranged should do less damage since it can hit a monster so quickly, so much more conveniently and safely, and since melee has to take the time and risk to get in the enemies face, they should smash said face really effectively.

Last bumped on May 3, 2017, 9:53:09 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
KZA wrote:
Monster HP.

In a game where monsters die in a quarter of a second, it comes down to who can explode the whole screen (or even a screen away) fastest and so range always wins. But! If monsters have X% more life (i'll leave it to the devs to figure out what the exact amount should be) and melee's damage is boosted to compensate, the two playstyles would have more similar clear speeds.

Am I crazy? I've just always kind of thought ranged should do less damage since it can hit a monster so quickly, so much more conveniently and safely, and since melee has to take the time and risk to get in the enemies face, they should smash said face really effectively.

I'm fine with proj down great damage

But them getting extra proj or aoe should be heavily penalized
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
KZA wrote:
Monster HP.

they already boosted monster life each big patch to no effect. The only thing raising monster Hp do is to fuck people with weird low dps damage in parties.

Since 2013 they raise monster life, WTF do you guys ever learn this is useless.

In past we had counter ranged monsters using thorns and shit like that, but GGG erased thorns so none care about monster reflect. Fun part is GGG kept volatiles fucking melee endless.

Thorns monsters= no no it kill ranged quick erased
Volatiles= fuck melee who care they don t buy that much mtx.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Apr 25, 2017, 1:28:46 AM
i agree that range should deal less, but the problem is that there is not enough that a monster can do to threaten a ranged spec.

so what happens is that ranged characters can still stack more damage.
I need more purple titles
range do less, and melee hit harder, sure I can understand where you come from, but that's not gonna happen in POE, this game has very complex systems intertwined with each other, a good build is not only abusing one OP aspect, but exploiting several OP things with synergy, for example xoph's nurture bow, it's not really strong if you build it directly as a elemental bow, but if you pair it with emberwake + taming, all of the sudden your damage jump 10 more levels, and if you get a +1 quiver a dying sun flask and the +2 helm enchant, the base damage of the bow doesn't even matter anymore, all the tiny ignite will amplify so big, how do you nerf but not kill this build?
I think the fundamental issue is dick size.

Unless GGG addresses who has the bigger one, this problem ain't going away.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
I think the fundamental issue is dick size.

Unless GGG addresses who has the bigger one, this problem ain't going away.

Peace,

-Boem-
Fine ill show you mine so the debate will be closed and GGG will get to work on this
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Melee has more range and aoe than many spells and bow attacks now.

Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
The real problem is that one has to be better, and no matter which it is, people will complain.
Ranged attacks need a range limit so ranged chars can run into danger too. The problem right now is ranged chars have unlimited range. No danger for them vs danger for melee.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info