The North Korean Situation

"
morbo wrote:
I suppose that South Korea also does not want to take care for the impoverished brothers up north, in a post-war scenario. An "unification" of both Koreas would be an economic suicide for the South and probably a political suicide in long term (who would wanna give the right to vote to millions of brainwashed communists?). I don't think the South is enthusiast about a war, even in a scenario where no direct military damage happens to them.

If a war happens and the regime is destroyed, who will occupy NK? The Chinese? Maybe Trump has made a deal with Xi, to turn NK into a Chinese puppet state or "special province". The Chinese have a few millions of excess men to use as fodder & settlers, so an occupation would be a piece of cake for them. The US & SK contribute the fireworks and China picks up the pieces afterwards?

At least for another generation or so, unification would be driven by a demand to reunite with long lost family.

Even if it's economic suicide.
Even if it won't work.
Family is pretty important.

If the can gets kicked for another 40+ years, there won't be many blood ties holding them together, and it would be easier to justify just bombing them or letting them starve like we (in the USA, far away) contemplate.
old comic, but still relevant, because nothing has changed...

The "US" there should really be three pairs of boots: US, South Korea, Japan.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
morbo wrote:
I suppose that South Korea also does not want to take care for the impoverished brothers up north, in a post-war scenario. An "unification" of both Koreas would be an economic suicide for the South and probably a political suicide in long term (who would wanna give the right to vote to millions of brainwashed communists?). I don't think the South is enthusiast about a war, even in a scenario where no direct military damage happens to them.

If a war happens and the regime is destroyed, who will occupy NK? The Chinese? Maybe Trump has made a deal with Xi, to turn NK into a Chinese puppet state or "special province". The Chinese have a few millions of excess men to use as fodder & settlers, so an occupation would be a piece of cake for them. The US & SK contribute the fireworks and China picks up the pieces afterwards?

I disagree on SK, I think they very much want to take care of their brothers up north, as someone else posted later. Reunification and all that. Assuming you could snap your fingers and make the north 'free', or at least, not communist, tomorrow, the real challenge would be how the koreans try to keep china from meddling.

Upon regime collapse a ton of people would try to leave - but unlike syrian refugees, north koreans are at least literate in their own language, and I suspect low birthrate countries would jump at the chance to replace Islamic immigration with Korean.
"

I dunno WHY you would wanna provoke a fucking super power out of all things.

They're jealous of the dinosaurs. Like "WHY CANT WE BE BELOW THE K/T BOUNDARY INSTEAD".

Denver is dead, you're the last dinosaur.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 11, 2017, 7:09:27 PM
Disclaimer: I'm an ignorant civilian.

Positional aggression (US's against NK) is hardly new, although it remains worrisome.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
No doubt in my mind that anything the U.S. does would need the approval of S. Korea, we just don't want to piss off the Koreans since they are a good ally. At the moment S. Korea just imprisoned their president (first female Korean president btw) and are in the process of electing their new leader. All signs point to a leader more sympathetic to the North so I don't expect any military escalation other than more military force showing up performing exercises. Once elected, he'll probably ask the U.S. to step back.

I do believe that if the North were to fire a missile towards the South, the U.S. would have permission only to knock it down but I think the chances of the North doing that are practically nil. KJU will probably fire one into the sea again and the heated rhetoric will start up again.
I want cut scenes damnit.

How can you not like steak?
"
innervation wrote:
I disagree on SK, I think they very much want to take care of their brothers up north

Yeah, but the economic cost would be massive. Imagine half of your country lives in a parallel universe that is technologically in the 60s and the education system is a brainwashing system designed to make people hate democracy & capitalism. Then you have to integrate this population somehow in your democratic & capitalist society, without ruining your economy and shooting yourself in the foot politically. This would be a massive operation, probably taking generations.

Anyway, here's that Posobiec guy on PJW: Source: Military Strike on North Korea Coming Soon
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
innervation wrote:
I disagree on SK, I think they very much want to take care of their brothers up north

Yeah, but the economic cost would be massive. Imagine half of your country lives in a parallel universe that is technologically in the 60s and the education system is a brainwashing system designed to make people hate democracy & capitalism. Then you have to integrate this population somehow in your democratic & capitalist society, without ruining your economy and shooting yourself in the foot politically. This would be a massive operation, probably taking generations.

Anyway, here's that Posobiec guy on PJW: Source: Military Strike on North Korea Coming Soon

China Threatens To Bomb North Korea's Nuclear Facilities If It Crosses Beijing's "Bottom Line"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-11/china-threatens-bomb-north-koreas-nuclear-facilities-if-it-crosses-beijings-bottom-l

"
With everyone putting down new and/or revised "red lines", be it on Syria or North Korea, it was now China's turn to reveal its "red" or rather "bottom line", and in a harshly worded editorial titled "The United States Must Not Choose a Wrong Direction to Break the DPRK Nuclear Deadlock on Wednesday" Beijing warned it would attack North Korea's facilities producing nuclear bombs, effectively engaging in an act of war, if North Korea crosses China's "bottom line."

The editorial in the military-focused Global Times tabloid, owned and operated by the Communist Party's People's Daily newspaper, said that North Korea’s nuclear activities must not jeopardize northeastern China, and that if the North impacts China with its illicit nuclear tests through either "nuclear leakage or pollution", then China will respond with force.

“China has a bottom line that it will protect at all costs, that is, the security and stability of northeast China... If the bottom line is touched, China will employ all means available including the military means to strike back. By that time, it is not an issue of discussion whether China acquiesces in the US’ blows, but the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) will launch attacks to DPRK nuclear facilities on its own."

"
But what may be the most notable part of the oped is the mention in the Global Times editorial that North Korea will not be "not allowed to have a government that is hostile against China on the other side of the Yalu River." This implies that if and when the US initiate strikes on NK, the Chinese PLA will likely send out troops "to lay the foundation" for a favorable post-war situation.

In other words, China may be just waiting for Trump to "decapitate" the North Korean regime, to pounce and immediately fill the power vacuum.

=0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
morbo wrote:
Yeah, but the economic cost would be massive. Imagine half of your country lives in a parallel universe that is technologically in the 60s and the education system is a brainwashing system designed to make people hate democracy & capitalism. Then you have to integrate this population somehow in your democratic & capitalist society, without ruining your economy and shooting yourself in the foot politically.

Don't forget that brainwashing also includes labeling US, South Korean, and Japan as evil overlords, while the North Korea ruling family are gods.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info