New Player and Flicker Strike

Greetings All,

I am new to POE. I saw a video demonstrating flicker strike, and fell in love with the build idea. The author's original skill tree looked as such:

www.poeurl.com/bcEH

I know that this "works" because I saw it, but I feel that the build focuses too much on damage and is too lacking in life and toughness, and that maybe the author got by on insanely good gear (gear which I will not have as I am new).

I modified the build:

www.poeurl.com/bcEL

Here I gain larger amounts of Life, Resistances, and Crit. Chance. I am trying to create a build that focuses on Physical Damage and Critical Strikes. I will try to acquire a Terminus Est sword to feed me Frenzy charges.

My questions are: did I have a valid concern with the original build? And now in this new build, if I do need to use it, could a Min/Maxer help me finalize it? The new tree is skill hungry, it requires level 90 to finish - I'd rather be closer to level 80 to reach that point.

My thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Last bumped on Mar 28, 2017, 4:38:19 AM
Also, is there a time I should stop leveling the Flicker Strike and Leap Attack skill gems ?
Alright, I'm going to break this down into a list since it got a little long. (keystrokes, keystrokes)

First things first. I don't know what video you watched since it wasn't linked in this thread, but there's already a crit flicker build in this subforum. It's written by the same player who wrote the non-crit flicker build I'm currently using and I've made it to the end game of Poe. He's got great advice, gear suggestions and 10 point by 10 point skill tree's.

Now then, onto the problems I've noticed.

1: both builds spread way too thin on the exact type of defense and instead focus on ramping up the crit chance as high as it'll go. physical reflect is going to splatter you without proper mitigation and while 150% increased life is a good start, the ES%/life% nodes above the shadow area forego armour entirely.

2: the entire left side of the skill tree where the scion and warrior starting areas reside is ignored. This is not okay. Since it's a crit build, you aren't going to pick up the Resolute Technique keystone, but ignoring all the life, armor, sword damage and jewel in that area is a big mistake. Particularly the massive life blob next to the scion area that you can reach for six points.

3: Flicker strike is an amazing experience when you've gotten the build together, but it is not budget friendly. For starters, you are going to need to get int somehow to support the auras and mana pool issues you'll have. I suggest trying to get this unique jewel off of poe.trade and slotting it into the jewel socket to the left of the duelist starting area. (between it, the scion life blob and the warrior starting area)

Lastly, item #4: Vaal pact and ascendancy. Spoilers, the slayer ascendancy trumps vaal pact. Sure, they'll synergize with instant leech that doesn't go away on full HP, but it's a lot of points to trek up there for just one keystone.

That's about it. I'll check on this later. read korgoths thread I linked, the man knows his stuff.
Greetings,

The original build hails from "The Path of Exile Builds"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9OopvPTOY

I had seen Flicker builds that veer towards the Marauder side of the tree, but, well, I like the Ranger's side better, and had hoped to make a build from that side. Is it the lack of life that discourages this side ? Because I see several strong intelligence nodes plus the presence of many leech nodes i can take to help with mana....

I do longingly look at the mana and life leech nodes I feel I had to skip.... If I could end the tree at the line holding Vaal pact, I would. There just seemed to be too much Life, Resistances, and Crit. above that line to ignore.

Please do continue your advice, I am listening. Thanks.
Bump
Arg! I am so torn.... To go Critical Strike and Terminus Est, or go with Resolute Technique and a myriad of auras to generate Frenzy Charges...? Someone please help !
I am also considering the following build for a non crit. build:

www.poeurl.com/bdru

Also, to an earlier question, do I level up all my skill gems, or do i stop at a certain point?
"
Arthon82POE wrote:
I am also considering the following build for a non crit. build:

www.poeurl.com/bdru

Also, to an earlier question, do I level up all my skill gems, or do i stop at a certain point?

The only gems you will ever not level, are certain auras (such as clarity), or CWDT setups (cast when damage taken).

These will most likely not apply to you, so just level them all up to max, especially flicker/anything linked to it. you want those bad boys max level and max quality for the most damage.
Okay, that covers the Gem question. Any advice on the skill tree setup? I have seen such huge diversity in flicker builds. Crit vs Non Crit... Go towards the Marauder side, or go towards the Ranger side of the tree (or both)....
It's easier to go non-crit build because it's more stable in regards to damage and easier to understand. KorgothBG made a nice guide for 2H flicker slayer. Axes would probably be the easiest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info