[3.11] Shaper = Stunned, Tidebreaker Heavy Strike Stunner Build

"
Styrkor wrote:
HERE COME THE BOOM !

hey i come from the other side and hiiiiii !

-I play Zerk so, some little stuff change.
-Same single target stuff
-Heavy Strike AoE: Heavy Strike + Melee Physical Damage + Multistrike + Ancestral Call + melee spash (op with AC)+ Damage on Full Life (6th link)
-I dont need Blood Rage cause i permentaly have my 50 rage up from instant War Cry and punishment buff.
-Leap slam reserve for Fortify (cause zerk) with faster attaK.
-Same totem.
-Utility: Punishment (on blasphemy) by far for me the best curse ->38% more melee vs 39% increased Physical Damage from vulnerability.(we dont need the bleed chance since we have bloody bludgeon. and wee dont need the MAIM debuf cause totem apply it). and the kisscool effect with hatred.
-CWDT+ flame golem (20%increase damage)+ immortal call+ rallying cry (16%increase damage)
-im not really happy for banner just 11% increase melee so that less my other stuf :(. adrenaline is really cool but just for 3 sec max.

and yeah we stun everything in the game excepte atziri and minautore ( hit and run strategy xD )

the only real " Melee " build of POE. enjoy guys !

Although this guide is posted in the Duelist section, half of the guide is about Berserker and I personally play both Berserker and Slayer as well. I want to comment a bit on your changes.

1. Punishment curse. I think it's a big mistake to include this curse. Reasons enclosed in the spoiler below.
Spoiler
The curse requires a cursed mob to hit you with a melee attack so that you can gain the buff for 4 seconds. Which means, because we almost always fully stun enemies nearby, this buff is only occasionally activated.

It's even worse when fighting against endgame bosses like Shaper; the 20% curse effectiveness against Shaper also reduces the 4 second buff time to 0.8 seconds. Also, Shaper can only hit you when he's not stunned, that means your stun-locking business needs to fail for this curse to work; and as he hits you, you're probably not at full hp, disabling Damage on Full Life Support, making the next few attacks less effective - and let's say you get back to full life in 1 second - your 0.8 second Punishment buff has already ended.

2. Blood Rage is a super nice boost to clear speed and there's no reason to not use Blood Rage in my opinion. It actually offers more damage than Berserker Rage stacks.

3. Lightning Golem also offers more DPS than Flame Golem, and it gives you higher mobility with Leap Slam as well.

4. I agree that Banners don't offer much. But it's better than nothing as long as you have the mana pool to use the Banner.

5. Immortal Call is a tough decision. Including Immortal Call makes us almost invincible against physical damage, but there are a few downsides to that. First is that you will frequently lose the resistances from endurance charges and thus need to stack more resists to ensure that your resists are capped at all time. Also, you will experience a big drop in DPS when Immortal Call procs, because Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support gives 4% more damage per charge. This drop in DPS can be detrimental especially if you're fighting Shaper or other endgame bosses.
Was considering playing a stun build myself but looking around on reddit and the forums it would seem that the syndicate members are immune to stuns. Is this true? Would kind of put a dent in my plan if that was the case.
IGN: PinkPenguinTV
"
PinkPenguin wrote:
Was considering playing a stun build myself but looking around on reddit and the forums it would seem that the syndicate members are immune to stuns. Is this true? Would kind of put a dent in my plan if that was the case.

It seems that syndicate members all have the unwavering mod and are immune to stuns. It is quite unfortunate that it is the case, and it’s the first time that GGG put stun immunity on new league bosses.

The content should still be beatable, but surely not in a way that we hold Heavy Strike and watch the bosses chain stunned and die.
Well that sucks. I was banking on being able to stun at least most of the syndicate. Seems an odd choice considering all the breachlords and the beyond bosses all lack unwavering. Hopefully this gets changed in the future but I doubt it.
IGN: PinkPenguinTV
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
PinkPenguin wrote:

It seems that syndicate members all have the unwavering mod and are immune to stuns. It is quite unfortunate that it is the case, and it’s the first time that GGG put stun immunity on new league bosses.

The content should still be beatable, but surely not in a way that we hold Heavy Strike and watch the bosses chain stunned and die.

It does make the safehouses more difficult. Do you have any tips on work-arounds? I'm currently using a defensive setup for them, so dps seems to get on the low side. Atm I have:
- 6700 life
- 6000 armor
- Arctic armor
- Blastphemy -> temp chains
- 75% res without endurance charges, excluding chaos which is deep in minus...
- Herald of Purity for dps (I guess I could use the armor aura)

Any clever way for a Slayer to still get max Endurence Charges fast?
Any other tips to get our defence up?
Dps in maps is still more then enough, 1shotting yellows, so I dont have any issues in clearspeed with this defensive setup.

Thnx again!

Edit: not counting charges at resists
Last edited by Reallabel on Dec 19, 2018, 4:07:33 AM
"
Reallabel wrote:
It does make the safehouses more difficult. Do you have any tips on work-arounds? I'm currently using a defensive setup for them, so dps seems to get on the low side. Atm I have:
- 6700 life
- 6000 armor
- Arctic armor
- Blastphemy -> temp chains
- 75% res without endurance charges, excluding chaos which is deep in minus...
- Herald of Purity for dps (I guess I could use the armor aura)

Any clever way for a Slayer to still get max Endurence Charges fast?
Any other tips to get our defence up?
Dps in maps is still more then enough, 1shotting yellows, so I dont have any issues in clearspeed with this defensive setup.

Thnx again!

Edit: not counting charges at resists

For Slayer I think defense is mostly about life pool. If you worry about survival, it makes sense to move some investment to life nodes. I would say Stun Mastery is not really necessary most of the times and the 3 points into Executioner may also be swapped to life nodes if you really want more life.

By life nodes I mean the nodes in the Scion life wheel. It looks like a bad idea to pick the Tireless wheel, since it only offers 4% per node.

Flasks can make a huge difference in these fights as well. Basalt offers tons of physical mitigation, and you can even bring a Stibnite flask which is quite handy as well.

If the boss is stun-immune, then you will have some trouble generating endurance charges. Having a Enduring Cry helps a lot in this case.

Chaos resist shouldn't be a problem and you don't really need to worry about it; Having Devoto's Devotion helps a bit but Devoto doesn't offer any flat life. I don't recommend Determination aura at all, it costs too much. Enfeeble is probably better than Temp Chains in terms of defense.

But to be honest, your set up is already pretty defensive and I don't think you need to invest more into defense. Just get better gears in general and I think when you improve in DPS and mobility (movement speed, attack speed) you will find yourself much tankier. Many times my deaths on my Slayer character was due to the lack of mobility instead of the lack of, say, more life.
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
lokiwider2 wrote:
Ground slam get a huge up with 50% more dmg to closer target. Conc effect is 54% more.
I'm using 2 essence of hysteria steel ring (10% added as fire) and 20% added cold shaped amulet.
I still think Doryani's invitation is a best in slot.
On shaper, devoto's, tombfist, bloodlust and conc are up.
vaal warchief has a good upgrade (last played league was 3.0).

I needed this, totem up and at least 2 flask up to lock shaper.
I think ruthless triger every attack (ruthless : every third attack, multistrike : skill is repeated 2 times).

Tooltip goes up to 435k + 50%more (ground slam) + 10% more (tombfist) + 59%more (bloodlust)+38%more (ruthless not on tooltip) so 1M5 dps with all buffs (without taste of hate actually, i'm still on ~10ex, a bit more cuz i get good fusing on 6L)

I did tried crit on 3.0, but tree and gear were a pain in the ass, didn't manage enought crit and accuracy to up damage.
I switched to staff to get enough crit. my damage went up, i lost a shit ton of stun threshold reduction, and hard had times to stun t15...
Finally, i just give up on crit stun.

You can check my char i think, and i would be please to show it in game if you have some time :).

Have fun !

Ground Slam with Concentrated Effect and 50% bonus at close range deals 282.2% base damage; Heavy Strike with Maim Support deals 252.2% base damage, with 52% chance of double damage. So 52% of the times Heavy Strike deals 79% more damage than Geound Slam, and 48% of the times Ground Slam deals 12% more damage. Of course to have the 52% double damage for Heavy Strike 2 jewel sockets and 1 helm enchant is needed, but it’s damage and stun capability definitely exceeds that of Ground Slam.

I agree that Doryani is BiS for Shaper fight. I used to recommend rare belts because if Sunder is used as AoE I need consistent r.E.S.T. while mapping to make sure everything is stunned. (Also because rare belts offer a ton a life.)

Multistrike should only trigger every 7,8,9th attacks. I didn’t find any reliable source but all posts I saw agrees on this. From my own experience and other people’s replies and results from my simulation code, I believe it’s not ideal for stun-locking business. But as I said earlier, now we are exceeding what’s needed to stun Shaper, so maybe we can afford using Multistrike to gain more dps.

I ran my simulation code and found that Multistrike can actually offer higher chances of stun-locking.

I then did some testing and here is my conclusion:

I must admit that I was wrong regarding Multistrike. Due to recent buffs to this build, if we're well geared it's possible that the benefit of Multistrike exceeds it's downsides. It requires high stun chances and stun duration and attack rate, but once the requirements are met, Multistrike is indeed a good choice.

I think this explains the fact that you stun-locked Shaper using Multistrike, and I have made corrections in the guide.

EDIT: to other people reading this, Multistrike is only good if you're very very well geared (or well geared Berserker). It will destroy your stun capability if you could just barely stun the enemy; but it will improve your stun capability if you could already stun the enemy most of the times.
Last edited by brightwaha on Dec 20, 2018, 10:50:19 AM
"
For Slayer I think defense is mostly about life pool. If you worry about survival, it makes sense to move some investment to life nodes. I would say Stun Mastery is not really necessary most of the times and the 3 points into Executioner may also be swapped to life nodes if you really want more life.

By life nodes I mean the nodes in the Scion life wheel. It looks like a bad idea to pick the Tireless wheel, since it only offers 4% per node.

Flasks can make a huge difference in these fights as well. Basalt offers tons of physical mitigation, and you can even bring a Stibnite flask which is quite handy as well.

If the boss is stun-immune, then you will have some trouble generating endurance charges. Having a Enduring Cry helps a lot in this case.

Chaos resist shouldn't be a problem and you don't really need to worry about it; Having Devoto's Devotion helps a bit but Devoto doesn't offer any flat life. I don't recommend Determination aura at all, it costs too much. Enfeeble is probably better than Temp Chains in terms of defense.

But to be honest, your set up is already pretty defensive and I don't think you need to invest more into defense. Just get better gears in general and I think when you improve in DPS and mobility (movement speed, attack speed) you will find yourself much tankier. Many times my deaths on my Slayer character was due to the lack of mobility instead of the lack of, say, more life.

Thanks for the advice man, really appriciated.
Bought the expensive flasks Taste of Hate and Sin's Rebirth. You can really notice the def boost those give.
I will swap some passives to life as you mentioned and try out Vaal Pact soon instead of a few dmg nodes to enhance the strengths of Slayers further.

It's alot of fun to be able to switch around a few passives/aura's/gems and really notice the difference it gives in gameplay. Havn't been able to do that on other fixed builds.
Sry for mistakes not my native lang.
Also playing this build for the 3rd or 4th league, but with Ground Slam..It's sooo satisfying!
This time i tried pure phys version with Aaura+Purity+Poachers Mark with Soul Ripper flask..it's a new level of pure phys..now i did a couple of tweaks and returned to elemental build with 4 dps flasks..And i can't decide which is better. Phys version gives a lot of joy and ability to run every map roll but elemental one gives high burst and a big numbers in tooltip + everything what is written one a first page. I don't know..will test it further. As for now i see pure phys with more potential in high end play.
[BHoD]
Last edited by Ner.poe on Dec 23, 2018, 12:47:57 PM
Hi there o/

Trying your build, slayer + full physical, lvl89 with tidebreaker 5L (got 3 of them, can't 6L any >.>, got a q28 thanks to Hillock's bench -fortification lvl3- nearly perfect, waiting for some rng luck to 6L and use it).
Didn't do very high content yet, meaning no guardians/shapers, but red map bosses are a joke.
Syndicates are quite dangerous even after patch, but merely because they got lots of strong aoe / fast casting / spaming stuff you don't see everything.

But i'm here for that :
"
brightwaha wrote:

Syndicates definitely don't have unwavering stance or stun immunity. You can stun them, even quite easily in some conditions.
BUT :
-they got shittons of HP compare to anything else in the game
-they are affected by the map bonus (not like shapers / elder guardians that are in "outside of map" area without mods)
-they got a lot of skills that are longrange (even for melee) / dot / delayed damage (mine/traps likes, duration before explosion...) and damn lot of aoe
-they do spawn a lot of adds including a lot of rare mobs and very often with auras that boosts them (+rares from the map that are on the way...)
-they do got specific items that you can see on the syndicate page, some of them grants stun immunity / resistances / extra life / stun recovery

So yeah, you'd better be carefull with them, but they do are victims of stunlocks, it's just that most of times you don't fight a single guy in an empty place so you end up having to move a lot... and they got twice or triple HP of the map boss you are fighting them... I think with 6L/good stuff they'll be stun again efficiently on red maps.
If you want to check : go back to low tiers maps or even blood aqueduct, it's perma stun land !

edit : strange, can't seems to stun anymore BUT it works on ruthless blow and a friend can stun one member with an anti stun item, WTF ?
Last edited by CaMarchePas on Dec 26, 2018, 7:57:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info