[3.11] Shaper = Stunned, Tidebreaker Heavy Strike Stunner Build

hi Bright

Patch nodes are out and i am lost :-(

Do you play this build this league or did you try another ?
"
hi Bright

Patch nodes are out and i am lost :-(

Do you play this build this league or did you try another ?

Nothing new in the patch notes, besides the Flesh and Stone nerf, so I'm happy overall. I don't think this build is affected much by the nerfs.

The next league is going to be a better league for this build due to the drop in item prices that I anticipate.

I haven't decided if I would be playing this build. Usually I try to make new builds every other league, and if I can't come up with something interesting I play this one.
hi i have played your build 2 patch now and he is really strong but for the 3.8 , can you inclued a Berserk, crit version or advice me for the 3.8 :)

thx for all !
"
Styrkor wrote:
hi i have played your build 2 patch now and he is really strong but for the 3.8 , can you inclued a Berserk, crit version or advice me for the 3.8 :)

thx for all !

I don't think crit Berserker is particularly strong right now, especially considering the nerfs to Flawless Savagery and Crave the Slaughter and buffs to War Bringer. The new amulet enchant might be a buff to crit builds, but I don't see it being enough to carry crit versions.

One way to justify going crit as Berserker is to use Starforge, with the DPS potential from Berserker, we should be able to stun just fine w/ Starforge, and pull out a much higher DPS.

I will think about it and maybe post a new crit version if it happens to look strong.

But to be honest, it could take a while since I really want to see the effect of the new Tribal Fury before making adjustments to the build.
"
brightwaha wrote:
"
Styrkor wrote:

thx for all !

I don't think crit Berserker is particularly strong right now, especially considering the nerfs to Flawless Savagery and Crave the Slaughter and buffs to War Bringer. The new amulet enchant might be a buff to crit builds, but I don't see it being enough to carry crit versions.

One way to justify going crit as Berserker is to use Starforge, with the DPS potential from Berserker, we should be able to stun just fine w/ Starforge, and pull out a much higher DPS.

I will think about it and maybe post a new crit version if it happens to look strong.

But to be honest, it could take a while since I really want to see the effect of the new Tribal Fury before making adjustments to the build.

thx for reply ! but why people don't go to crit ? it's because the investment of tree is to big ? or gearing? maybe Ascendancy... i'm lil bit confused cause i have never play crit before and i dont why some player are fan and some other say it's not important... thx again !!!

PS: if that too long to explain... just say flat damage > crit. I trust you since 2 league so i continue to play your build ;)
Last edited by Styrkor on Sep 9, 2019, 1:47:59 PM
"
Styrkor wrote:
thx for reply ! but why people don't go to crit ? it's because the investment of tree is to big ? or gearing? maybe Ascendancy... i'm lil bit confused cause i have never play crit before and i dont why some player are fan and some other say it's not important... thx again !!!

PS: if that too long to explain... just say flat damage > crit. I trust you since 2 league so i continue to play your build ;)

In short, the reason is that the cost outweighs the benefits. As to why it is the case for this build, but not other builds that go crit:

1. Tidebreaker is a 5% base crit weapon. There are fewer good crit mace nodes. It's difficult to scale crit.

2. Tidebreaker is a slow weapon, which requires more investment into attack speed for better responsiveness and mobility. Attacking slowly also means more crit damage gets wasted into overkill and occasionally missing an attack becomes more problematic.

3. We can scale damage easily from Heavy Strike's double damage, Ryslatha's (which requires a high max damage to min damage ratio), etc. We don't need crit to get satisfying DPS.

4. The fact that we stun-lock most mobs means that we have less incentive to get even higher DPS - we would win Shaper fights trivially anyway.

One thing to note is that those 4 points I made above do not guarantee that Resolute Technique being always better than going crit. If GGG releases an insane crit-based unique or whatever that fits this build, I would certainly switch to crit version.

In other words, not going crit is solely due to the fact that I have not yet found a way to make that happen; and while trying to make a crit version, those 4 points are the main obstacles that I encountered.
really nice answer ! i I appreciate !
Thanks for the guide. Two questions:
1. Any basic tips on tree or gear changes if using flicker strike?
2. Presuming primary use of flicker strike, is ascendant ber/trick viable (taking ber starting area)?

Thanks for any insight!
"
strohmdohm wrote:
Thanks for the guide. Two questions:
1. Any basic tips on tree or gear changes if using flicker strike?
2. Presuming primary use of flicker strike, is ascendant ber/trick viable (taking ber starting area)?

Thanks for any insight!

I tried Flicker Strike a couple times these 2 leagues but I never liked it. The problem I encountered was that, depending on gem choices, I either get high AoE damage and very low single-target, or high single-target, but low AoE damage and thus problem sustaining frenzy charges.

I think you want to have Tribal Fury from amulet enchant (or use Ancestral Call, which kinda affects your single target DPS), and then either get on-kill explosion (from Herald of Ash or Haemophilia) or use Melee Splash.

You probably also want some max frenzy charges. You can easily get one below Duelist starting area, and you may get another one from amulet enchant if you don't like Tribal Fury. I don't see other sources of max frenzy charges; there's glove corruption, but you'd rather get Vulnerability curse there I believe.

Ber/Trick seems fine. I still think there is this frenzy charge problem in single target scenarios. Maybe you switch to a 6-link Heavy Strike, or maybe you could just use unlinked Frenzy.

I suspect that it might be better to use Oro's (Flicker Strike) and Starforge (Heavy Strike). Well, then you encounter the problem of auras - one benefits a ton from Pride and one from Anger.

Maybe the frenzy charge problem could be solved by using emblem rings. Maybe there is this possibility of self-bleed and even self-ignite w/ Vengeance, but that is going to be quite different from this build and I honestly have no idea how good those ideas would be.

Well, those are my thoughts. I don't have too much experience with Flicker Strike after the melee revamp so I don't really have a feeling for the optimal way to do it.
thank you for the guide, ive really enjoyed being able to kill everything and not die or worry about getting 1 shot randomly lol.

couple of questions,

1. ive been using stun support with my heavy strike, is it required to have it in order to stun shaper? under what circumstance could i go do without it?

2. since switching from sunder to cyclone after getting my 2nd 5L tidebreaker, ive been really enjoying it, and since have used heavy strike less and less, only for bosses i need to guarantee stun lock, in this scanerio, is it ok to remove one of the heavy strike jewels from my passive tree for a pride watcher's eye?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info