Power Siphon

"
It says that it can grant a power charge if the enemy hit is killed by or soon after the hit. I have tested this by casting Power Siphon, then finishing an enemy off with another spell within about half a second later; no Power Charge was granted. Is this a bug?

The timer for "soon after" seems to be about equal to your attack speed. I noticed I would gain power charges if I hit something with Power Siphon and it was killed immediately after by a party member, so that part appears to be working. It's just that the timer is very very short.
TehHammer is not a crime!
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
"
It says that it can grant a power charge if the enemy hit is killed by or soon after the hit. I have tested this by casting Power Siphon, then finishing an enemy off with another spell within about half a second later; no Power Charge was granted. Is this a bug?

The timer for "soon after" seems to be about equal to your attack speed. I noticed I would gain power charges if I hit something with Power Siphon and it was killed immediately after by a party member, so that part appears to be working. It's just that the timer is very very short.

Thank you
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
The timer is very short - it's not there so you can hit them then attack with something else, it's there so that in the case where your power siphon doesn't kill something and your party member finishes it of before you can power siphon it again, you still get the charge.
So that's why sometimes I see myself gaining frenzy charge, but not power charge, because I used normal attack to kill the monster.

I am not sure how this happens, but sometimes I was able to gain 2 power charges instead of just one from killing a monster. I know it's only 1 monster killed because the frenzy charge (I use blood rage) only go up one count. Could it be my 1+ maximum power charge passive that's the culprit? Or is it something else?

I use
Unavailable
, clarity + wrath, have all fire/lightning/cold damage, and elemental weakness on monsters if I can. It could be the monster being burned to death and still got registered from power siphon's 10% culling strike, can anyone look into this?

And just saying, I found it way too annoying to switch between two skills to gain power charge, so I just make power siphon my main ability, which is completely fine on its own. (It actually takes less mana than elemental hits, though less damage as well) It actually doesn't do too much lower dps than just using elemental hit, since the power charges can make up for it. In addition, it's very hard to predict when you will crit, and everytime you kill something with a crit elemental hit, you cannot use that something to generate power charge, so it became rather too much work to switch bewteen to skills.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The timer is very short - it's not there so you can hit them then attack with something else, it's there so that in the case where your power siphon doesn't kill something and your party member finishes it of before you can power siphon it again, you still get the charge.

I tried a power siphon build and quickly lost interest in it because stacking charges was frustrating. If you don't have any slaymates with you I think you really do need to use the strategy of hitting monsters with power siphon and then hitting them with something else for it not to be so annoying to use the skill efficiently. Would it be possible to do something like make the timer length longer if only 1 player is in the instance?
I be that potion mixin', spell castin', dragon ridin' wizard. Got a 3 foot hat with a 6 foot beard, and it's only gettin' bigger. Put a staff up in my hand, and I'll shrink you down to size. All I need is a tail of a newt and some platypus eyes.
"
WizardLife wrote:
Would it be possible to do something like make the timer length longer if only 1 player is in the instance?

How about Power Siphon + Increased Duration? I don't know if the ID support would interact with Power Siphon's duration (since it isn't a listed attribute). But if Power Siphon's duration is equal to your attack speed, then any % increase to that duration should extend it long enough to follow up with an additional attack.

If this doesn't work, then (just in case the devs are watching) I think this would make an interesting tactic for wand users (since we hardly have anything else to do with wands anyways), especially if it allowed you to stack multiple Power Siphon effects on a single enemy -- if slain while within the duration of two uses of PS, then gain two Power Charges.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jul 26, 2012, 6:02:28 PM
I find that the leveling of this skill is bad.

The problem isn't with the number 3%, but what the 3% is affecting— physical damage.

The problem is that wands deal absolutely terrible physical damage, and the bonus damage power siphon will deal between lvl 20 and level 1 is so small it's not worth the bit of mana (which becomes more than a bit once supports are added) extra that a person has to pay to use the skill at a higher level. I haven't done the math, and it does seem to increase in cost by very small amounts each level, but I hypothesize that it's still not worth it (if someone can show the numbers it'd be helpful).

I think it would make more sense to buff all wand damage by 2% per level, and possibly/probably also increase the cost increase per level if necessary
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Jul 31, 2012, 5:52:37 AM
Unavailable
Unavailable

Only 3 extra mana, it's not that big of a deal.

And....
Unavailable

Wand can have high physical damage too =) Mine is not even the high ones out there.

Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Last edited by wxyjac on Aug 2, 2012, 12:00:35 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Are there any plans to make Power Siphon grant a power charge for each enemy it kills with a single cast? For instance if i kill 3 enemies with a single cast of power siphon, I only get 1 power charge.
"
mysrt wrote:
Are there any plans to make Power Siphon grant a power charge for each enemy it kills with a single cast? For instance if i kill 3 enemies with a single cast of power siphon, I only get 1 power charge.
No, this is intentional behaviour for all charge gaining.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info