Tempest Shield

I had this skill on most of my S/S builds. After the change from 10% to 4% block, I don't use it anymore.

Maybe it is aimed at some very specific build that I haven't thought of.
As far as I have tested, the quality bonus %-lightning dmg is not global. That means if tempest shield is active the +%-lightning dmg does only apply to the tempest shield lightning dmg not for other spells/Skills like eg. lightning strike which ich quite a pity since that would be a usefull combo.
I am doing a 1H/Shield Duelist and it is really hard to get lightning dmg via passives for a duellist. Tempest shield could be an appropriate solution for pumping lightning strike.
So my wish: make the quality bonus global!

Furthermore I also think that the tempest shield nerf in 0.9.7 is way to hard. Its ok to make it permanent with reserved mana, but either the manareservation should be at least reduced by half.
Last edited by Krolli on Mar 24, 2012, 10:02:33 AM
Does this spell work with Necromantic Aegis?
"
Wgimp wrote:
Does this spell work with Necromantic Aegis?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19643#p308368
"
Qarl wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:
If I cast tempest shield, who gets the 10% block?

Currently, the 10% block does not pass to your Minions, and because you have no shield block, you don't get the 10% either.

What I really would like to have happen, is that if you cast Tempest Shield, and you have Necromantic Aegis, then your minions all get the effect.

There are a few code difficulties with it, and even if we implemented, we'd have to see how abusive it was before deciding to release into beta.
I never used this skill pre-nerf...but I have been running it on a blocking build and while it is not great, I don't think it's bad either. If you have high enough block it should still trigger enough to be worth the 25% mana reservation. I think a decent compromise would be if we could get the block chance to 6% insteaad of the current 4%.
I had never even seen this skill prior to 0.9.8, but I agree with the comments on how ridiculous the mana reservation is. An additional 4% block is no reason to use this skill. I was drawn to it for the added damage, but now that I'm level 45 I unequppied it due to it still doing only 1xx damage- less then a regular attack with my weapon.
I say either cut back the reservation or increase the damage portion of the skill.
IGN: Dibrom
Instead of increasing shield block, allow this spell to grand us some spell block, letting it also trigger vs spell casters
25% reservation is a bit too high and prevents you from using support gems with it due to the high cost of it combined with auras.

10% would be a much better value and combined with 2/3 supports would bring it back up to about 20/25%.
My experience is based on leveling a witch to Ruthless in patch 0.98.

I did not use this spell because I found the sound effect for the shield to be annoying. Sounds like a baritone. Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Stewie takes up a job following fat people around with a tuba. Really makes my witch feel self-conscious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aIqx1McVI

I agree the benefit of this spell is too small to warrant its 25% reservation. I think 25% reservation is good in general for buffs because it prevents stacking too many of them. I would like to see the survival utility of this buff improved to make it worth the mana reserve cost.
Last edited by Blackguard on Apr 8, 2012, 9:26:24 PM
Does not provide enough damage nor blocking at its current mana cost to be worth using. Looks totally awesome, sounds kinda neat (if you don't mind it, unlike the guy above this post), but other than that it simply isn't worth using at all.

Needs to do either a lot more damage or provide more block (somewhere around 7 or 8% increased), and should probably increase the users lightning resistance by 10-15% as well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info