Molten Shell

So really it does not "absorb" damage but rather "measures" damage. Those are two very different concepts and it is misleading to label it as an absorb.

Absorb = redirect from the player to the skill, the player should never receive "absorbed" damage.

Absorbed should always mean the player does not receive damage, whether a player or a skill absorbs it.

Change the tool-tip text from
"Shield breaks after absorbing <###> total damage"
to
"Shield breaks after you receive <###> total physical damage"
Last edited by teprac on Mar 8, 2012, 5:58:02 PM
"
teprac wrote:
the player should never receive "absorbed" damage.

Absorbed should always mean the player does not receive damage, whether a player or a skill absorbs it.
They don't. It's specifically damage they don't take which counts here - the shields increase your armour, and are "absorbing" all the physical damage that is prevented until they have enough to explode. damage that actually gets dealt to you isn't counted at all.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
kodr wrote:
How does absorbed damage work?
Is it calculated after damage reduction from armor?
It is the damage reduction for armour.

Molten shell counts up how much physical damage was prevented by your physical damage reduction (which comes from armour + endurance charges) and also the physical damage prevented by blocking.

If the total amount of damage prevented reached the threshold, it explodes.

So... damage prevented by blocking means 100% of the damage is added to the threshold?
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
"
kodr wrote:
So... damage prevented by blocking means 100% of the damage is added to the threshold?
Yes.
Same for immortal call.
"
teprac wrote:

Change the tool-tip text from
"Shield breaks after absorbing <###> total damage"
to
"Shield breaks after you receive <###> total physical damage"
Your version would be wrong

Lets say a monster hits you for 1k damage

A) you have 10% absorb by armor - 100 damage gets absorbed and you take 900 HPloss
B) you have 50% absorb by armor - 500 damage gets arbsorbed and you loose 500 HP

with "Shield breaks after you receive <###> total physical damage" A and B would be the same, but it isn't the same for the skill (besides the fact, that it isn't only for physical damage afaik)
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
teprac wrote:
the player should never receive "absorbed" damage.

They don't. It's specifically damage they don't take which counts here - the shields increase your armour, and are "absorbing" all the physical damage that is prevented until they have enough to explode. damage that actually gets dealt to you isn't counted at all.

Ok, after re-reading the skill description, I understand what you mean.

However, the blue text tool-tip is still confusing.

"Shield breaks after absorbing ### damage."

In English, this sentence structure implies that the shield is absorbing damage. Really though it is simply measuring damage that you have mitigated through armor and blocking. This is still misleading.
Just got owned three times in a row by a monkey with reflect damage aura.

As soon as molten shell went off, I lost 350 health as well as my 250 energy shield.

Maybe change how reflect damage interacts with molten shell? Taking that much damage in an instant is a bit silly.
using Molten Shell vs reflect mobs w/o high fire res is as stupid as using a nova *shrug*
"
Btah wrote:
using Molten Shell vs reflect mobs w/o high fire res is as stupid as using a nova *shrug*

Well yes, but getting one hit killed is a bit much.
Not to mention that I usually leave the skill on, hard to predict that I will spontaneously die after it goes off :/
"
MrRazdom wrote:

Well yes, but getting one hit killed is a bit much.
Not to mention that I usually leave the skill on, hard to predict that I will spontaneously die after it goes off :/
No, you don't die to 1 hit, you die to 4+ simultaneous hits ;)
When you see a reflect aura you should right click on the Molten Shell (to turn it off) otherwise you really shouldn't be surprised when you blow up yourself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info