Innocence and Sin. Hidden clues and symbolism for Fall of Oriath trailer

GGG has really outdone themselves with their story planning and art direction for the entirety of path of exile and with the expansion coming I suspect with the end of part 1 and with part 2 we finally will see many of the things that have been building up.

One of the first major hints we have had for this story was released quite some time ago.
The rise of innocence.
"Innocence, with eyes of burning rage. Sin, with eyes of clearest blue."

There are many things to be gleamed and speculated on with this image. A few symbols to take note of: The eye color of the boys , the circle symbols behind the heads(I will call these Halos going by the similarity to http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Aureate_Halo) of Sin, Innocence and the woman(kalandra?),the life and death duality between the red and gold child and the descry(http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Descry).

The descry in particular I want to expand on here. There are 2 different descry in these images, there is the uncrossed descry above each image but also in the first and fifth images the woman is holding a chain with a crossed descry. The crossed descry most notably seen on the divine shrine(http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shrine). I take this as less than a subtle way of saying the crossed descry has to do with the divine more so than the normal version. This symbology appears in the footage seen about the acts in Oriath and appears to be deliberate.

In the footage shown to us in the 3.0 trailer and other simultaneous released videos we are told that act 5 takes place in oriath and a force is causing an uprising. Then either culminating in or as a major plot point we fight high templar avarius who once defeated "Innocence, God-emperor of eternity" appears before us. This clips of this fight gives us a few hints when you look closely.

One hint is that it shows us that "The rise of innocence" is part of a larger set of stained glass panes that we can see in this fight. There are at least 14 unique panes that can be seen from the limited footage available.
The original 5 images are mostly unchanged however the hands and fish in pane #4 have been changed in color.
Spoiler

Notes about the new panes
-#4 purple hands rise from below innocence and sin. Also a fish.
-#5 is placed between the original #4 and #5
-Innocence(red eyes) is being burned at the stake in #7 there seems to be purple gemstones sprouting from red eyes'head
-#8 has a purple gemstone colored demon(blue eyes now like sin) and judging by the red halo is the same person from #7
-#9 the purple form has the eyes of sin and the golden halo figure has the red eyes of sin(seemingly swapped)
-#11 the woman with the white halo is pictured again holding a single candle
-#12 the purple figure with the recognizable red halo from the boy with red eyes in the original rise of innocence.
-#14 the red halo figure seems to be consuming the gold area of the pane and the descry pictured in the center.

The big thing that I take away from the series of images is the importance of the relation between the red and blue eyes and the gold and red halos.
"Innocence, with eyes of burning rage. Sin, with eyes of clearest blue."
If we take this as absolute then the identity of innocence and sin change throughout the story, the eye color in relation of the halo and figure seems to swap around pane #6-9.
Here we can see a depiction of innocence(or high templar avarius?) with a gold halo and red eyes
Spoiler

And here is the pantheon image. Below we have a figure not readily identifiable as something we have seen before. However he has a set of very distinguishable blue eyes. Additionally we see that the solaris and lunaris manifestations/gods/chicks have blue and red eyes. And lastly while not to do with eye color we see a unique descry above the winged blue eyed figure.
Spoiler

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sin%27s_Rebirth
And from the ashes he rose, like a black cloud.
The Sin of one became the Sin of many.

My thoughts
Spoiler
It is hard to say a lot of things certainly from this information but my conclusions are three things.

-Sin and innocence have changed places in some form you see this from the changing eyes and seems very fitting from this piece of dialogue "I read of the mortal founders whose bones were hidden deep in the Ossuary. I read of the false saints who continue to be revered in the Temple of Innocence." - Zana. This line seems to sum up a lot of the feelings given out by the game the whole way but now taken in a more literal sense. The gods that the templars worship may just be the opposite. "Death to sin" may even be cursing the original innocence.

-Sin is the winged figure pictured in the pantheon picture. The flavour text from Sins rebirth seems too perfect. Additionally I think that the purple figure with blue eyes pictured may be a form of "The beast" that we defeated in act 4. This would explain his need for rebirth however I am less confident in this statement.

-Kitava is involved in the innocence/sin struggle and it may be his hands(and fish?) in pane #4

I just wanted to share a few things that I noticed with the community perhaps you guys will be able to explain things better or find other clues I missed.

Last edited by alkkine on Apr 10, 2017, 10:42:26 PM
Last bumped on Jun 13, 2017, 6:47:54 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that blue-eyed sin is a liar, that pins his misdeeds on his brother innocence. Innocence keeps taking the blame until he snaps and goes mad.
"
i3igpete wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious that blue-eyed sin is a liar, that pins his misdeeds on his brother innocence. Innocence keeps taking the blame until he snaps and goes mad.

If it were just the original 5 panes this would make sense. You could see that blue eyes blames his brother and red eyes is scolded in pane 3 but in the 4th pane of the original red eyes seems to strike down/attack his brother. In pane 5 red eyes(innocence) seems to have taken some power or at least stands like he has accomplished something major. But rather than that red eyes is seen in the new panels being burned at the stake(#7). Possibly corrupted by virtue gems? After which we see #8 depict a best with blue eyes but with the red halo previously belonging to red eyes.

I will say one thing though. If in the new pane #5 (the all gold one) has eyes of red it changes the whole story. This would modify the original 5 panes but would make much more sense to me.

Innocence with eyes of rage has an aura around him that kills everything around him even though he would not will it. While sin has no such aura or perhaps the opposite effect. Innocence attacks his brother and forces his way into sin's body(with the help of kitava or the power of virtue gems i.e the hands in pane #4). Sin is now trapped in innocence's body and has no control just as innocence did. This leads to him becoming corrupted and/or burned transforming him into the mindless beast we know and love.

He sits in wraeclast consuming the life and energy around him withering and killing and taking the gods power. We kill him with malachai in act 4 and in act9 when we return to "The rotting Beast beneath Mount Veruso holds the key to salvation. But beings both mortal and divine seek to keep you from obtaining it." Plot point happens and sin is reborn.
In the 5th image of Rise of Innocence, I see the Descry symbol on what appear to be the shape of trumpets, reminiscent of the cue for apocalyptic events in Christianity.
Innocence is the good guys

He punishes Sin for trying to reveal the fishing secret
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
For me it seems that the key point there is that eyes are literal difference between sin and innocence, while halos are some kind of metaphor. That leads me to think that sin somehow stole the eyes of innocence to pass as a good guy while being bad. But there's only one solid thing that I can point out that hasn't been yet - there's sin himself giving a quest in act 6 that can be seen in ziggyd's video on act 6 at 1:42: https://youtu.be/cf6Ha-R7taA?t=102. What makes me sure it's sin, or at least presumed to be sin, is that he has the same black wings and upside-down descry as sin's rebirth flask.
Last edited by omegaghost on Feb 17, 2017, 7:34:23 PM
I really liked your write up I thought you should know. Nothing to add ATM just learning the lore still. Never payed much attention to it till now
"
Vvemoth wrote:
I really liked your write up I thought you should know. Nothing to add ATM just learning the lore still. Never payed much attention to it till now

Honestly I am the same I have little but ignored the lore and story for the last 4 years. But I think it has slowly seeped into me and now I want to know where it is going. The forethought and symbolism they have used on the glass panes is spectacular, really blows my mind when you compare it to other companies in the industry where things only seem to be planned out 6months at a time.
Aren't those lore characters designed after that one supporters' twins (Dyadus?)
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Feb 17, 2017, 8:52:41 PM
Regarding to solaris/lunaris girls

Grigor mentioned: "The Eternals revered Sun and Moon as the two eyes of their God. The right eye, Judging Solaris. The left eye, Merciful Lunaris." We could assume that there are/were two templar orders or forces associated to Solaris and Lunaris. Then, if we take a look to the pantheon picture, Lunaris with blue eyes can be the order of the templars that followed 'Sin' and Solaris with red eyes is the order of those who followed 'Innocence'. Could it be an internal fight between both forces inside the templars? Act 8 is about Solaris and Lunaris fighting "for the sky" figuretaly but it is actually a struggle between these orders after one of the high priests were killed or something like that.

Now, if we bring Sin's rebirth to this story. It is fun to see that the flask removes burning and creates a smoke cloud so Sin was burned at the stake which created a black cloud due to the ashes. Isn't burning at the stake the punishment for those who did some kind of transgression? (yeah like Doedre and the Proclamation in The Western Forest). The court of reckoning was conformed by Voll, Geofri and other templars by then. So, the new court of reckoning (leaded by Avarius who is also Innocence, due to the colour of his eyes) sentenced Sin to burn because he tried to do something against him. According to this weird theory of mine, Sin was also a High Priest who got killed and we can see in the vitrals that they were both raised in religion since they were very young. Perhaps they started to fight each other after they got the news that Dominus was killed leaving a vacuum of power in the theocratic Oriath.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info