3.0 | Morphyne's Arctic Breath Elementalist [SC/HC Viable]

"
Skaldik wrote:
Quick question, having a lot of fun with the build in 2 week league, but why exactly do you choose lightning golem instead of ice golem? With Liege of the Primordial, we get "40% increased Damage of each Damage Type for which you have a matching Golem".

So isn't the ice golem a lot better than the lightning golem?

When comparing the golems in Path of Building and in game, the flame golem and the lightning golem were a better pair. I'm guessing the reasoning is because we take Elemental Overload and crit chance is not necessary, the damage boost that we gain from the flame golem is better than ice.
Last edited by Morphyne123 on Aug 3, 2017, 3:08:36 AM
"
Norc wrote:
Greetings fellow Arctic Breath aficionados! Nice work on the guide.

I have played arctic breath characters in almost every league for quite a while now, and am playing an AB build in 3.0 beta currently (Templar hierophant for the Super MoM), which is a totally different build, but I have done it before and quite liked it even before the hiero bufs. I just took a quick read through your guide (work lol), so I apologize if you cover some of this, but just wanted to share some quick thoughts from my experiences with AB:

1) Positioning of your enemies is super important. Decoy totems and something like a Flame Totem or a Ball Lightning Spell totem with knockback can be amazing at luring/shoving pesky high-hp mobs up against walls.
2) I saw you mention EE. Do not use EE with AB. Each separate projectile counts as a separate hit, so you're nerfing any shotgun damage you may get horribly. Similarly, it's why Hypothermia is so amazing... the second hit on counts as chilled, even from the same GMP blast
3) Freeze chance doesn't need to be very high to freeze with huge reliability. Each separate AB Skull applies the chance to freeze separately
4) I personally hate chain/Pierce with AB. I want it to explode when it hits something for max shotgunning. I don't think Touch of ANguish is very helpful compared to a weapon that gives raw damage.
5) Reflect maps are totally doable with AB, at least with a Templar. I run an Empower in my AB links (corrupted level 3s are cheap and are fine for our purposes). For ele reflect maps, I just swap Empower out with Spell Totem and call it a day (but I have 3 totems from Templar Hierophant, which helps lots).
6) I really like Pledge of Hands with arctic breath. The extra mana and the baked-in spell echo is fantastic. Can't go wrong with Dual doryani's catalysts either.

Also, yes, the passive skill tree link isn't working, which makes me sad :(

One thing I'm curious about is leveling tips. I'm pretty bad at leveling, so I'd be happy to hear any tips you have that makes it so easy for you.

Hello! And thank you so much Norc for all the lovely wisdom and knowledge that you have been spreading around while I have been away!! I've been recently away for awhile and now that the expansion is about to launch I have made another return! As for leveling tips with this build, I honestly just used frostbolt till about level 50ish, when I was about to get the whole build put in place and then switched over to AB.
Added updated 3.0 passive tree, so hopefully that fixes some issues. :)
Rapid Decay Support has changed name to Swift Affliction Support
thx for this build but could you do the Leveling for the passive, please?
Hey, welcome back Morphyne! I'm playing AB (again!) in SC Harbinger as a Hierophant. I'm finally AB but am only 67 due to real life stuff so far. Thanks for the skill tree update and for spreading the gospel of AB.

Agreed on Frostbolt for levelling, it was a lovely before switching over, particularly with that threshold jewel that you get as a quest reward.
"
Norc wrote:
Hey, welcome back Morphyne! I'm playing AB (again!) in SC Harbinger as a Hierophant. I'm finally AB but am only 67 due to real life stuff so far. Thanks for the skill tree update and for spreading the gospel of AB.

Agreed on Frostbolt for levelling, it was a lovely before switching over, particularly with that threshold jewel that you get as a quest reward.

Indeed, that threshold jewel is the bee's knees.
Hi there, been following the guide for the new league and currently level 61 so far. Im just curious why OP no put point in "Breath of Rime" and "heart of Ice" ?
"
CharSiuPauu wrote:
Hi there, been following the guide for the new league and currently level 61 so far. Im just curious why OP no put point in "Breath of Rime" and "heart of Ice" ?

How's it going CharSiuPauu!! First off, I would like to say thanks for following the guide and I'm happy that you're enjoying it in the new league!

So to answer your question, The reasoning behind why we don't travel to the Heart of Ice circle is mainly because of travel purposes. We need those passives to make it to Life nodes and cast speed. If we focused mainly on our cold damage, then we wouldn't be able to build enough Utility in order to survive end-game maps. "Breath of Rime" is actually not needed at all. we have plenty of freeze chance to make AB work properly the way we want to, and the cold damage isn't a lot. So those four passives would be unnecessary.

However, since there is 14 points left in our passive skill tree, That decision is up to the player, whether or not they want to grab more life for survivability or spend the passives for Heart of Ice and deal more damage. Hope that clears it up a little bit for you and thanks again for following!!
What bandit do you recommend now that there is only a bandit quest. Or do I choose the 2 passive tree points?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info