NZGDC 2016 Developer Presentation: Labyrinth Design

"
Galtrovan wrote:
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:
Lab needs changes
- After killing Izaro in the 3rd phase, all the trap BS needs to deactivate. Nothing like killing Izaro and then being teleported into a trap minefield and getting killed after the fact. Waste of an hour.

Or, ya know, don't stand in the green teleporting ring thingy. ;)

It's no different than fighting Piety, killing her yet still being killed by her lightning warp after she's been dead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JY44TfTc0

No, it's completely different. With Piety, you cuss and go back in and pick up your loot. With Izaro, you are ffffed, just wasted an hour of your life, no two hours, because you have to start the ffff over and do it again to get your 2 skill points. It's BS. Period.

No, it's quite the same. If you're playing HC you can't go back in and pick up your loot and you lose more than an hour of your "life".

It's called situational awareness and if you're not using it, you're going to be punished regardless of HC/SC mode. This may be more prevalent in the laby since it's a mini-hardcore mode, but it's not something that needs to be fixed. It's something you improve your playing around.

Be aware of your surroundings or get rekt. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
The lab is so annoying.

When I have an OP char its fine but unless I do, its freaking cancer.

There are 2 compounded issues with the labs design.

The 1 life thing
the length of the lab.

The 1 life thing was meant to make it stressful / challenging but what it does it give bad stress and anxiety. it just becomes frustrating to invest all this time to die at last boss or to a stupid trap. Because of the length, you are so stressed to die and have to restart and when I do die I just shut the game down. Imagine the worse feeling you ever had in a game and thats it for me. Unhealthy.

Give more life.....maybe make the health of the boss reset during each respawn and so on but change something.
Personally I like the lab, and I think Ascendancies are fine to be behind them. They're a nice fat reward for running it the first time. It's a good challenge, it has optional challenges in which adds you choose to engage, has some really great optional rewards you can go for in the silver doors/hidden areas.

I never run meta/OP builds ever. Never followed a build guide. Don't watch streamers.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
I can understand the idea of the lab how its cool and all that.. I was excited when i first saw the trailer way back before the release..

But now I hate the danm thing.. Only reason I play it is becouse im forced to play it once per dif to get my skill points..

My first death in the lab resulted in me quiting PoE for allmost a year :)
I was a HC only player back then..

Now that im back im not playing HC anymore.. I just dont see the point to play HC anymore with a lab wall between difficulties.. And the prizes are the same in both leagues..

Now I seamroll SC with blade flury.. Is it fun? Not realy.. Not like HC used to be anyway..
"
I can understand the idea of the lab how its cool and all that.. I was excited when i first saw the trailer way back before the release..

But now I hate the danm thing.. Only reason I play it is becouse im forced to play it once per dif to get my skill points..

Now that im back im not playing HC anymore.. I just dont see the point to play HC anymore with a lab wall between difficulties.. And the prizes are the same in both leagues..

Now I seamroll SC with blade flury.. Is it fun? Not realy.. Not like HC used to be anyway..

If it's not fun, why play?
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
"

vahahah lmao :D

so poor
Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN! I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE DARE YOU, MOTHE**UCKER! Say what one more god damn time!
How to stop people crying about XBone port:

Spoiler
Bring up the Labyrinth
"
Archwizard wrote:
"

If it's not fun, why play?

I asked myself the same thing as i wrote the post above :)
Gues i need something to wase my time on.. Il hit lvl 90 tomorrow and pick up my portal efect for some future use then im done till 2.6 comes out..

But I ment how SC is not as fun as HC was.. I die and i dont give a f**k.. But i still had some fun with all the new stuff in game like prophecis and essences.. new maps..

lab sucks, no one wants to play tomb raider, just delete it already
"
Shovelcut wrote:

No, it's quite the same. If you're playing HC you can't go back in and pick up your loot and you lose more than an hour of your "life".

It's called situational awareness and if you're not using it, you're going to be punished regardless of HC/SC mode. This may be more prevalent in the laby since it's a mini-hardcore mode, but it's not something that needs to be fixed. It's something you improve your playing around.

Be aware of your surroundings or get rekt. :)

There's a distinct difference between the HC variation of the game and the Labrynth, one's a choice and the other is practically mandatory. You can say "skip Labyrinth" all you want but if you want to take your build to it obvious conclusion you HAVE to do it.

I **personally** don't like trap based games and/or puzzle based games which is why I play grind-based / build-based / item-based RPG's, which POE is (mostly). Being forced to do something outside of that does not in fact make me a better player at what POE is, it in fact annoys the piss out of me (which is most of the posts here).

I do not, however, think that Labyrinth's should be removed, but I do think that after you've completed the Normal/Cruel/Merc/Uber for one character in ANY LEAGUE any subsequent character should be gifted those points at 20/40/60/80. The fact that you don't have to do the actual trials for each character was a step in the right direction but each new league makes the second go around (after your first main character) a real chore (at least for some).

In conclusion, don't remove Ascendancy or Labyrinth both play a part in the game, just minimalize the sadness of those who literally **HATE** the experience.

Not that I have an opinion on the matter or anything. -.-
Last edited by ChuckPC on Jan 25, 2017, 1:04:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info