NZGDC 2016 Developer Presentation: Labyrinth Design

Hahahaha! :-) Nice to see.

"2. Spinners, Sawblades, and Roombas Blade Sentries"

As per Dan_GGG's post: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1802300/page/1#p14020570

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
Erasculio wrote:
This is more a guideline for what other designers should avoid than a showcase of a successful part of the game.

This talk is definitely intended to present to other developers what we found worked and didn't while making the labyrinth, and what we learned in the process.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Set free the ascendancy points !!! :P
I hate the lab

SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216
Lab needs changes
- After killing Izaro in the 3rd phase, all the trap BS needs to deactivate. Nothing like killing Izaro and then being teleported into a trap minefield and getting killed after the fact. Waste of an hour.
- Speaking of taking to long to reach the 3rd phase, there needs to be waypoints and reentry into the zone. Life happens. We should be able to portal out and pick up where we left off, just like any other zone in the game... giving you the 8 to 15 minute window to reenter the zone before it disappears. No portal during each of the 3 phases, that would be fine. Earn your kill. But otherwise, need to portal out and reenter at will, or at the very least, 6 times ala maps.
- Have more gripes with the Lab, but address the two above would be a good start.
I'm sure GGG had to know they were creating their very own lab troll thread in posting this.

As with so many others, lab is my least fav aspect of the game. By far. To the extent of being unpleasant. Why make us suffer? I agree with so many others, free the Ascendancies and leave the lab for the masochists and farmers.
"
Galtrovan wrote:
Lab needs changes
- After killing Izaro in the 3rd phase, all the trap BS needs to deactivate. Nothing like killing Izaro and then being teleported into a trap minefield and getting killed after the fact. Waste of an hour.

Or, ya know, don't stand in the green teleporting ring thingy. ;)

It's no different than fighting Piety, killing her yet still being killed by her lightning warp after she's been dead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JY44TfTc0
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
nuveau wrote:
I'm sure GGG had to know they were creating their very own lab troll thread in posting this.
I figured people would find it interesting regardless. Hopefully the content of the talk indicates that we are paying attention to feedback.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
I guess with the SSF mode you gonna do something about the lab.
I like Shmups and tbh endgame lab at least, is just too stressful.
The kind of precision you need for some traps is ridiculous considering we dont have perfect direct control over the characters like in a shmup. I think the design is terrible in that regard.
Oblivious
It's a very interesting doc with some great insight. I enjoy this type of behinds the scenes look.

That said, and understanding that people put a lot of work into it, I hate the lab like poison. IF you took ascendancy out of it and kept it a loot pinata for some builds I would never set foot in there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info