Solwitch told you so... PS4 is next :P

"
ShowUs wrote:
PS4 should have been the logical choice for PoE on console.

Yeah man, XBOX now and PS4 go Mid this Year that is nice than :X
I wouldn't count on it. With DirX only and XBoxOne coming soon, GGG has taken quite the pro-Microsoft position. Seriously, OpenGL has been around for decades... for a while, many games required OpenGL compliant video cards.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
For those that don't know, the main development architecture used to make games for Xbox is DirectX. Since PoE already uses DirectX, adding support for XBox is kind of a no-brainer.
"
I wouldn't count on it. With DirX only and XBoxOne coming soon, GGG has taken quite the pro-Microsoft position. Seriously, OpenGL has been around for decades... for a while, many games required OpenGL compliant video cards.

This follows my assumptions too.

DirectX comes with Microsoft dependancies, so a PS4 venture is a completely different business case. They've already stated they would face intensive migration issues if they'd change the engine (in another thread they were asked if a port to UE4 was possible).

Though I'm sure tools could be written for a translation, it's kind of a strategic arc I don't think GGG is going to take anytime soon.

But who knows.

Did you try turning it off and on again?
I'm going to make an assumption that the same people who said PoE would never come to console are the same ones dismissing a PS4 release. Here come the suppose "smarty pants." Surprised the word "concur" wasn't used.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Most have rather pointed out why Xbox was the first than dismissed that there might be a PS4 port.

I'd appreciate that, because an OpenGL port might also make a native Linux (or Mac) version possible.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Releasing a PS4 version may not be quite as complicated as some people think. Both consoles are based around the same x86_64 architecture and use the same processor. Granted, there are differences in the way each console handles things like memory but these can be worked around. Moreover, PS4 allows development in Visual Studio, which GGG currently uses, and offers compiler options that increase compatibility with DirectX.

There's also a whole raft of 'middleware' available for PS4 that makes porting an 'easier' prospect. It's also worth noting, GGG already use FMOD for their audio assets, and that's available on most platforms. Sony also offer their own Shader Language (PSSL), which is very similar to HLSL in DX11

Don't get me wrong, going from D3D to OpenGL is not trivial but a lot of the pieces are already in place and tools are available to make the jump 'easier'.

I might also point out, their Xbox One release announcement stated:

"
We're proud to announce that Path of Exile will be making its console debut on Xbox One later this year!

There's also no mention of exclusivity.

Still, time will tell...

"
solwitch wrote:
You all owe me a stash tab... And those that said ,"I'll quit if PoE goes console," I'll take all your shit and then some. Congratulations GGG <3

Your Troll

Solwitch

if i could transfer my stuff (stash tabs and what not to ps4)... i would go to ps4.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info