Constantly losing drops in permanent allocation to other players

Thankfully I only play with friends, so this doesn't bother me too terribly much, but in the last two nights, I've lost 2x Fuse Orbs and a Chaos orb, that was clearly mine, but my buddy was somehow able to pick them up. Permanent allocation has been on, so I have no idea why this is happening.
Last bumped on Jan 21, 2017, 2:28:22 PM
"permanent allocation" isn't permanent.

it ends if:
- you leave the area
- you haven't picked up the item for 5 minutes
- the item dropped from you destroying breakables (like vases), item doesn't get allocated then
- you dropped the item back on the ground because your full inventory prevented a pickup

so there is a good chance you claimed alot of items dropped from breakables from your friends because you thought seeing them is equal to them being allocated to you.

---

the introduction of pa took alot of charisma and challenge off the game.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"permanent allocation" isn't permanent.

it ends if:
- you leave the area
- you haven't picked up the item for 5 minutes
- the item dropped from you destroying breakables (like vases), item doesn't get allocated then
- you dropped the item back on the ground because your full inventory prevented a pickup

so there is a good chance you claimed alot of items dropped from breakables from your friends because you thought seeing them is equal to them being allocated to you.

---

I knew about the first, second and 4th, but not about the third. none of the 4 applied though, but according to the poster above, it was probably because the item dropped off-screen(I'm a split-crit chain arrow ranger, so I kill stuff off-screen pretty much non-stop).

I'll disagree, PA is the smartest thing ever, having to fight for drops against other players, especially if you aren't playing with friends, is the most annoying and crappiest thing ever. I always felt that was the biggest frustration in aRPG's, especially ones like D1/D2. Nothing sucks the fun out of a game quicker then having to juggle attention between killing stuff, and having to fight other players for that one awesome drop. Even worse when the other players use bots to automatically teleport to said one awesome drop and get it the moment it hits the ground.
"
vio wrote:

lol, you FFA people
PA is why I only group up to get challenges these days.

Given how OP a group of players is, loot tension is the only tension you're likely to find in one.
"
PA is why I only group up to get challenges these days.

Given how OP a group of players is, loot tension is the only tension you're likely to find in one.
you can try playing with non-op group, there'll be more tension that way :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Yeah, I am very suspicious of items from breakables not allocating. I have never witnessed that ever since transitioning to PA.

Also disagree on PA being a bad thing for loot tension. Like others said, when you have a crappy connection, losing every single valuable drop to the group members that were more op and had better connections is what drove me to self found. Still remember being dirt ass poor trying to level in docks with people because they would all play melee and take anything that was SA to me long before I could get over there on my 350kbps internet.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
"
Yeah, I am very suspicious of items from breakables not allocating. I have never witnessed that ever since transitioning to PA.

Also disagree on PA being a bad thing for loot tension. Like others said, when you have a crappy connection, losing every single valuable drop to the group members that were more op and had better connections is what drove me to self found. Still remember being dirt ass poor trying to level in docks with people because they would all play melee and take anything that was SA to me long before I could get over there on my 350kbps internet.

Heh, 350kbps!!! That's super fast compared to what I had to deal with. I didn't leave dial-up until mid 2012, and even then it was for something with a 5gb data cap(a 4g LTE mobile wifi hotspot from AT&T. It's literally the ONLY high-speed internet available where I live, and it's still not that fast. The only difference between now and then is after a fairly long conversation with a rep, I was able to get a 30gb data cap for roughly $30 more then what I was paying for the 5gb).

But yeah, it's a major PITA to deal with a lousy internet connection when the people around you are on ultra high-speed ones and see/grab drops before they even register on your screen.
"
Starwulf wrote:
"

Heh, 350kbps!!! That's super fast compared to what I had to deal with. I didn't leave dial-up until mid 2012, and even then it was for something with a 5gb data cap(a 4g LTE mobile wifi hotspot from AT&T. It's literally the ONLY high-speed internet available where I live, and it's still not that fast. The only difference between now and then is after a fairly long conversation with a rep, I was able to get a 30gb data cap for roughly $30 more then what I was paying for the 5gb).

But yeah, it's a major PITA to deal with a lousy internet connection when the people around you are on ultra high-speed ones and see/grab drops before they even register on your screen.

Running in groups I still have people grab their allocated high end drops that my filter gives the rare drop sound that is set and I half the time never even see if its an exalt, taste of hate, whatever on a 60mbps connection now... I would only be solo playing even now if PA was never implemented. A ton of people would be.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Jan 18, 2017, 1:57:30 AM
I play FFA with my gf, its just easier, she always leaves sceptres on the ground and my ocd cant deal with it, she cant stand me leaving transmutes and augments lying around.

I actually like both ways of playing, Id be happy enough with FFA loot on in a lot of situations, as long as everyone else is able to deal with it emotionally lol. I didnt used to be like that but I think you get to a point where you stop caring so much about stuff after youve got so much stuffs already, a sort of casual mode kicks in. Its a shame in some ways but its got a liberating side thats quite nice too, certainly a sign that your giveashitometer for the game has taken a nose dive.

The game is designed around hardcore temp league ffa loot mode, its supposed to be a hardcore arpg but on some level nothing could be more 'casual dont give a shit about the game throwaway' than hardcore temp league ffa. I feel like everyones gonna either end up quitting or playing that way as time goes on. Im not quite there yet, give me another few years maybe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info